Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heater recommendations.

This is interesting as had I ordered new, I would have chosen heater over DSG at that point in time.

But I stumbled across the opportunity to get a dealer-specced Beach with DSG but without heater. I love the relaxed driving with DSG, having always had manual boxes previously. I am a convert.

Do I miss not having the heater? I don't know... we've not needed it yet as we only camp May-Sept and only if the forecast is good. We are fair weather and always head to warm parts of Europe for summer hols.

For us, it would be most useful for winter days at the beach etc, but then I give the rear heater a quick 5 min blast with the engine running and we are warm.

Would I spend £1500 on a retro-fit? Only if the way we use the van changed significantly.

There is no right or wrong answer here, it is totally based on how you use the van. At least a heater can be retrofitted (albeit 3rd party) but DSG cannot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is interesting as had I ordered new, I would have chosen heater over DSG at that point in time.

But I stumbled across the opportunity to get a dealer-specced Beach with DSG but without heater. I love the relaxed driving with DSG, having always had manual boxes previously. I am a convert.

Do I miss not having the heater? I don't know... we've not needed it yet as we only camp May-Sept and only if the forecast is good. We are fair weather and always head to warm parts of Europe for summer hols.

For us, it would be most useful for winter days at the beach etc, but then I give the rear heater a quick 5 min blast with the engine running and we are warm.

Would I spend £1500 on a retro-fit? Only if the way we use the van changed significantly.

There is no right or wrong answer here, it is totally based on how you use the van. At least a heater can be retrofitted (albeit 3rd party) but DSG cannot.

Thank you for your reassuring comment. I guess we will be fair weather campers as well, although autumn School holidays here are 2 weeks in October, so we will see what thats like when the time comes.

For us a diesel heater was a must and deff a deal breaker had it not had one! Although we do a lot of off grid camping/shows.however pretty sure all California's have the engine wabasso diesel heaters as standard. which I think may be progamable to use when on hook up,even if not it means heating will warm up very quickly when running the engine if outside temp is below around 6 degrees . Mines also got the run on feature where air con or heating will keep going when engine turned off if you press a button which was a nice surprise. We were fortunate to find the dealer specked showroom cali with 6 miles on the clock. was pretty much exactly what we wanted and available immediately with a few k off list price and they cleared the remaining finance from my passat pcp worth looking out for,although should get discount on new order anyway. also look out for the £500 per year road tax on new cali s Registered after 1 april!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

also look out for the £500 per year road tax on new cali s Registered after 1 april!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
The Original Poster is from Switzerland, so I don't think the UK Road Tax increase will apply.

In the T4 the eberspacher D2 fitted requires cutting through the bodywork.
Is this required on the new Beach?
I'd personally get a stand alone loan to enable you to get one factory fit.
All the diesel heaters are superb but factory fit will be much better for the long term integrity and resale value of the van. Anything cut or screwed into the van will one day be a point of failure!
It's a tough decision and the consensus is there in the previous posted replies.
Good luck

Just a small comment...

"DSG is a nice option, but not enough over factory fit programmable parking heater..."
"we are all used to manual gearbox anyway"

Those quotes are making the huge assumption that driving manual is an option - and it actually isn't for some people, for various reasons.

Returned to UK in July and bought a new (demo) Beach for export to NZ. Having driven my current Beach in NZ, a DSG gearbox was an essential option along with the parking heater, (it can get below freezing in the middle of summer in the Southern Alps).

Last year on a return trip to UK, I bought all the kit to add an Eberspacher diesel heater, including all the VW parts which I will fit to existing Cali before selling it. Heater was about £600, and I probably spent around £300 on the VW parts.

Get the the DSG gearbox and add the heater later, if you feel you really need it. You can also help with heat retention by buying a topper and thermal screen insulation kit.

BTW anyone in NZ looking for a well spec'd Beach, Xenon's, double glazing, tow bar, bike rack etc. get in touch.

Andy

Just a small comment...

"DSG is a nice option, but not enough over factory fit programmable parking heater..."
"we are all used to manual gearbox anyway"

Those quotes are making the huge assumption that driving manual is an option - and it actually isn't for some people, for various reasons.
I would think the poster meant the people driving it whilst in their ownership.

All the diesel heaters are superb but factory fit will be much better for the long term integrity and resale value of the van. Anything cut or screwed into the van will one day be a point of failure!
It's a tough decision and the consensus is there in the previous posted replies.
Good luck
Yes cuts were required on my beach.

Good luck

I noticed that the spec of my new T6 Beach includes the D3 heater rather than D2 which I bought for my T5 Beach. Have VW upped the specification of the secondary heater?

Andy

Google seems to suggest the D3 isnt sold in the UK so it may just be a factory option

Yes so suggests you can only get this one via the factory in Germany but I will be honest I dont know the difference between the D2 and 3.

Yes so suggests you can only get this one via the factory in Germany but I will be honest I dont know the difference between the D2 and 3.
Looks about 800w more of heat output, but probably not necessary in UK or temperate climates. The D2 is as good as we need for us UK Beach users and its too easy to over-spec things.

Last edited: