Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heater Remote incredible

C

Calisand

Guest User
On our way back from a long walk I thought I’d try to use our remote to turn on the heating half a mile from where we were parked. I didn’t really believe it would work but incredibly when we got to our van the heater was blasting away and the van was comfortably warm when we entered. Very impressed.

On our way back from a long walk I thought I’d try to use our remote to turn on the heating half a mile from where we were parked. I didn’t really believe it would work but incredibly when we got to our van the heater was blasting away and the van was comfortably warm when we entered. Very impressed.
It can work from a lot further if there are no significant electronic obstructions.

I tried it from a long distance once - not fussed if it worked
or not - and amazingly it had turned the heater on.

I don't have a remote, but for those who do, doesn't the remote itself have green and red lights to either confirm that the signal has been received by the heater, or warn that it hasn't been?

Last edited:
I don't have a remote, but for those who do, doesn't the remote itself have green and red lights to either confirm that the signal has been received by the heater, or warn that it hasn't been?
It flashes green for 30 secs if it is within range and the Heater starts. If not within range it flashes green 2 or 3 times and then changes to red. No Heater start.
Switching Off, it just flashes red for 30 secs and heater switches Off. Never been out of range when switching Off so I don't know what it does if it cannot make a wireless connection.

A while ago @Borris mentioned starting the heater by activating the remote control whilst sleeping in the van, which must work, or he wouldn't recommend it.
However, the manual states "The distance between the remote control and the vehicle must be at least 2 metres". Their italics, so must have some relevance.

How strange - I routinely use the remote when I don't want to venture out from under the duvet on chilly mornings.

A while ago @Borris mentioned starting the heater by activating the remote control whilst sleeping in the van, which must work, or he wouldn't recommend it.
However, the manual states "The distance between the remote control and the vehicle must be at least 2 metres". Their italics, so must have some relevance.
Tried and tested. It helps to be tucked up in bed though. The remote has often been operated from the very rear of the van without having to get up.

I must say though that I was unaware of the 2 metre rule and have used the remote in both the middle and the front of the van and it's always worked fine.

I'm amazed by these experiences. I have only tried it from in doors in the morning before going to work.

Remote works fine in mine, upstairs or down.

Successfully programmed mine to have the van warm after football last night. We lost 2-1 so having the the van toasty warm was the highlight of my evening.

The heater remote control is incredible on these frosty mornings.

But the heater itself makes the Cali utter luxury for changing in after my regular sea-swim. My swimming pals are getting a slagging about their Dry-Robes, while I quietly appreciate my fabulous space.

The travel restrictions have led to me exploring the very local area, and realising what a treasure the van is. It beats long journeys on motorways.

Back