Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heater switching itself off

JB87

JB87

Vehicle
Looking to buy
We’ve got a 2020 T6.1 and we’re quite disappointed with the heater so far.

The main issue is that it just decides to turn itself off at random. This makes it almost useless for leaving on overnight.

I understand there can be an issue if the battery is low. But that hasn’t been the case. It happens even when we’re connected to hookup.

It also seems to fail to start up, even when on level 10 and the van is cold. The light on the control panel is on, but nothing happens.

Combined with the poor insulation of the roof in the Cali and the fact that the heat doesn’t really reach it when the bed is down, it’s a real let down for us as it effectively means the van can only be used in summer.

When we rented a T6 the previous year we didn’t find the same issues so I think VW have changed something for the 6.1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In our T5 the heater switches off automatically when a certain temperature is reached and will automatically start again when the temperature has gone down (if you opened a door for example or when after a while the warm air has left the vehicle through the roof). So the fact that it turns itself off isnt of itself a problem. It also starts up slowly... takes some time to get hot and noisy. Have you tried giving it some time? That said, I camped with below zero temperatures and the heater on 4 no problem, with the roof up.

Maybe this thread helps:

The main issue is that it just decides to turn itself off at random. This makes it almost useless for leaving on overnight.

I understand there can be an issue if the battery is low. But that hasn’t been the case. It happens even when we’re connected to hookup.

It also seems to fail to start up, even when on level 10 and the van is cold. The light on the control panel is on, but nothing happens.

Combined with the poor insulation of the roof in the Cali and the fact that the heat doesn’t really reach it when the bed is down, it’s a real let down for us as it effectively means the van can only be used in summer.

When we rented a T6 the previous year we didn’t find the same issues so I think VW have changed something for the 6.1

Can I ask if you are using "Heat immediately" or "Heat continously"?

In our T5 the heater switches off automatically when a certain temperature is reached and will automatically start again when the temperature has gone down (if you opened a door for example or when after a while the warm air has left the vehicle through the roof). So the fact that it turns itself off isnt of itself a problem. It also starts up slowly... takes some time to get hot and noisy. Have you tried giving it some time? That said, I camped with below zero temperatures and the heater on 4 no problem, with the roof up.

Maybe this thread helps:

Thanks, reading this thread I notice that a lot of people are mentioning the issue is with the control panel, which seems to be the case for us as well.

It’s not only confusing but behaves very oddly. A combination of bad UI and lots of bugs I think.

We have also had issues with the lights and roof getting stuck open on our 6.1. Both were fixed by the laptop being plugged in and software updates applied by an engineer.

It’s a real shame as it means I don’t fully trust using the van in colder / remote conditions….all because VW seem to suck at software

Hi @JB87
Are you selecting Heat Immediately or Heat Continuously? Heat Immediately will indeed switch itself off after a period of time - Max 120 minutes. Heat Continuously will stay on but depending on temperature in the van the thermostat will switch it on and off. If yours isn’t switching on at all have you tried driving the van for a short distance and trying again? I’ve heard that this can force a reset.
Regarding heat up top, you can purchase a snorkel. Very expensive but some on here (including me) made our own from cheap extractor fan components from i.e. B&Q.

Hi @JB87
Are you selecting Heat Immediately or Heat Continuously? Heat Immediately will indeed switch itself off after a period of time - Max 120 minutes. Heat Continuously will stay on but depending on temperature in the van the thermostat will switch it on and off. If yours isn’t switching on at all have you tried driving the van for a short distance and trying again? I’ve heard that this can force a reset.
Regarding heat up top, you can purchase a snorkel. Very expensive but some on here (including me) made our own from cheap extractor fan components from i.e. B&Q.

Thanks. “Heat continuously” isn’t working currently. It just cuts out immediately.

I think there is an electronics issue with the control panel so trying to force a reset as you suggest is probably the best.

Will check out the snorkel idea! Cheers

Thanks. “Heat continuously” isn’t working currently. It just cuts out immediately.

I think there is an electronics issue with the control panel so trying to force a reset as you suggest is probably the best.

Will check out the snorkel idea! Cheers

Ours did switch itself off on one occasion and I put it down to not exiting the menu after switching Heat Continuously on. I then activated it a second time and then made sure that I exited the menu back to the home screen. It then ran all night without issue

Here’s a picture of my snorkel. Since taking these I added 2 tarp clips to the top end that fix onto the storage net rails at the top. I’ll take a shot of it in situ when I get the time. Works well and only costs about £20.

39966F8B-661C-48AA-9C27-C8BB9A4684FC.png

A6A97361-CB49-46D7-8709-382424DFC490.png

So now the control panel is stuck on a message “Auxiliary heater: maximum running time reached”

This means we can’t put the roof down!

Any ideas? We are stuck up a mountain in Spain!

So now the control panel is stuck on a message “Auxiliary heater: maximum running time reached”

This means we can’t put the roof down!

Any ideas? We are stuck up a mountain in Spain!

As a result of heat immediately exceeding the time limit, sadly. The van needs to be driven to reset but you have the roof up. Nightmare. There are some fuses to pull to reset it. Struggling to find it on my phone. Have a search on here. Been discussed at length before. Good luck

Pull fuses 5 to 8 and then replace them OR disconnect the battery and reconnect.

417BC7CF-3964-4513-A282-A16C1AA62F8F.png

Pull fuses 5 to 8 and then replace them OR disconnect the battery and reconnect.

View attachment 85920

Thanks in the end I tried pulling a bunch of fuses from under the passenger seat and that seems to have unfrozen the control panel..allowing the roof to come down

Second time this has happened to us though, really quite this bloody control panel

Thanks in the end I tried pulling a bunch of fuses from under the passenger seat and that seems to have unfrozen the control panel..allowing the roof to come down

Second time this has happened to us though, really quite this bloody control panel

Interesting. Can you remember which fuses you pulled? Might help others.

The runtime limit should only apply to "Heat Immediately". If it is interfering with "Heat Continuously" then I think you might have an issue that needs looking into.

Interesting. Can you remember which fuses you pulled? Might help others.

I’m fairly certain it was the 5amp closest to the door.

I’ve seen a few images of different fuse box layouts though here for the 6.1 so can’t say it would work the same for someone else for sure

The parking heater has two functions, immediate heating and the continuous heating.

When the heater is used for camping, you need to select the continuous heating function.
The running time is not limited except by the energy reserves (battery and fuel).

The immediate heating function has a limited running time and is only intended for heating up the vehicle before driving and not as a camping heater.

The heater will lock up when you reach 180 minutes of operation by repeatedly running the immediate function without driving. It will not unlock until you drive the vehicle above 6km/h.

When you attempt to restart the heater when locked, whether immediate or continuous, you risk crashing the control unit.

To reset the CU after it crashes:
  • Switch off all systems, lock the vehicle for approx. 60min.
  • Simultaneously remove the 4 fuses SC5, SC6, SC7 and SC8, and then reinsert them.

Here’s a picture of my snorkel. Since taking these I added 2 tarp clips to the top end that fix onto the storage net rails at the top. I’ll take a shot of it in situ when I get the time. Works well and only costs about £20.

View attachment 85916

View attachment 85917
As promised, some pictures of the snorkel in situ’. Used it earlier this week for a couple of nights and it worked very well.

25C9C533-B913-4444-95DC-B0F0CC415FC6.jpeg

319F8010-01AF-4DE6-A452-B732A31C9D10.jpeg

65A9AE5E-7BBF-441E-85F0-32A34B19B62E.jpeg

My heater ‘22 MY Ocean is crap. It won’t fire up 90% of the time. Just the fan for a 1/2 a minute or so then nothing. Getting p*se off with this van now. Roof sags in 1/2 a day too and doesn’t push itself back up again. My ‘17 Beach is more reliable on both counts.

My heater ‘22 MY Ocean is crap. It won’t fire up 90% of the time. Just the fan for a 1/2 a minute or so then nothing. Getting p*se off with this van now. Roof sags in 1/2 a day too and doesn’t push itself back up again. My ‘17 Beach is more reliable on both counts.

You are replying to a post from Nov 2021 just after a heatwave in UK in Aug 2022?

@calikev

Hi @s2bear , I assume you’re talking about the Aux Heater. What level is it set at? I don’t think it will fire up if the ambient temperature is as high, or higher, than the heater setting. Try it on a cold night set at maximum.

Last edited:

Well you still have a Beach according to your Avatar information.

Hi @s2bear , I assume you’re talking about the Aux Heater. What level is it set at? I don’t think it will fire up if the ambient temperature is as high, or higher, than the heater setting. Try it on a cold night set at maximum.

Hi there. Thanks, yes it is the Aux Heater. What you say makes sense but it worked on 4 just fine one day then wouldn’t fire on 10 the next, which was colder. It’s done this before in lower temps but after an engine start it worked. Not this time. It behaves in such a random fashion I think it must be faulty.

Hi there. Thanks, yes it is the Aux Heater. What you say makes sense but it worked on 4 just fine one day then wouldn’t fire on 10 the next, which was colder. It’s done this before in lower temps but after an engine start it worked. Not this time. It behaves in such a random fashion I think it must be faulty.

Out of interest are you using Heat Immediately or Heat Continuously?

Out of interest are you using Heat Immediately or Heat Continuously?

Continuously but I tried both and neither worked. The
‘immediately’ has never been run long enough to cause the error that some mention (180m+). I’ll get it checked when I’m back in September. May try that 5a fuse pull-reset in the meantime.

Back