Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heating the top tent

Hello,
I've almost the same tricks to get the first floor warm.
Simple and efficient

A+

Does any heat escape downstairs (e.g. from around the tube insertion point) or is it cold downstairs with the tube in place??

Does any heat escape downstairs (e.g. from around the tube insertion point) or is it cold downstairs with the tube in place??
There are 2 vents where warm air comes out
Heat goes up anyway so to much hassle imo.

Of course it does. Can even regulate how much of it goes up by tightening the tube.
Without tube it is nonsense in winter. Pretty comfortable upstaits but a sauna at the bottom. We don't need a sauna for a freezer below.
I direct the tube partly to the tent and some of the flow goes right below tent bed warming the bed as well.
We slept in -30 without any toppers. Under 3rd rating ikea duvete. And not just one night.
Usually throw a jacket at the tent side, because knees might accidently stick out and get cold. No rain risks after all ;) We carry the sleeping bags as well. But duvete is more comfortable for 2 and a dog. Can get fresh air underneath in a second.
Sleeping downstairs is worsening btw. You get lots of cold drafts even with very warm air to breath.
The tent is a perfect air pocket even for sleeping without heating.

Can you help me get started on this project @Sp0_0k ? What diameter is the vent pipe and does the part you modified have a name / normal function?

Anyone had any success getting the kit in B&Q type places?

I just looked over local shops like Hornbach which have lots of such tubes and reductions.
Just took the widest one and a plastic reduction with it for even wider radius. Then trimmed the plastic part to securely sit on the vent.
The best hint I can give right now is you can remove the black vent very easily and modify/fit the tube at home. I think it is 12 or 15mm tube. And folds very compact.