Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heating upstairs

David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
In anticipation of some winter trips, I’ve experimented installing heating in the top bed. This is the result of my efforts. I’m pleased to report that it works extremely well. Get in touch if you want the full details.
Total cost: £3:99 for the card and a craft knife plus some scrap ducting.

B20E86AC-4C8B-411E-B49F-12179436EA54.jpegFE15864C-9BBA-4783-AD3F-0499AC33E10B.jpeg50E202CC-74EC-4A57-928F-C176881CD2AA.jpeg06C8639D-09A2-4929-BBB9-8A776FF7AF86.jpeg9FF53A4A-D6F5-4CF5-8F5F-96F047A8E2FF.jpegFB4C0405-DB2D-4411-AE0F-115D6F843FC3.jpeg

Very nice and I am interested how do you attach it to the vent downstairs :Nailbiting

Good question. I had intended to clip a piece of bungee elastic to the vent and then through the box. In practice I’ve found it simply pushes into place and stays there, at least it does on a low heating level which is all I would ever use it for.

Looks a brilliant idea for when you are not on hookup. otherwise we use a fan heater on a bungie connected to the clips on the roof.

looks great :thumb
I’m inspired enough to attempt to make my own :)
Thanks!

It's a shame vw dont vent a bit of heat up the side pillar to the roof. Section. They have a vent that for some strange reason blows straight at the drivers seat base. Anyway I love the DIY injenuity. I just try and manage with thicker bedding.

I've included a photo of the template so you can do exactly that !
Good luck.

I made a quick mock up out of some cardboard box, just to try out.
To my suprise it already fits really good and stays in place.

you sir @David Ashcroft are quite the engineer :thumb

Question though;
The tube is made out of some sort of plastic, don’t you think it will melt when you use the heater overnight in winter time?

98ADF54C-6652-4F65-857D-1D7C45C00FBB.jpeg

Question though;
The tube is made out of some sort of plastic, don’t you think it will melt when you use the heater overnight in winter time?

View attachment 50226
It looks like tumble dryer vent tube so it won’t melt.

I use mine all the time in winter, wether I’m on electro or not as I’ve not taken to carrying an electric heater for hookups.

My Version doesn’t attach to the vent instead one end has an 12v fan that draws warm air from down stairs. I tend to position this near the vent so we all get some warmth, Kids upstairs adults down.

I take it this is for when you are not on site or the site you are on has no hookup...

Somebody has been looking at Hymercars ???this is pretty much exactly the same thing they sell as an extra for the fiat Hymercar camper van

Question though;

View attachment 50226
Brilliant, glad to be of help. Regarding the tube, I’ve used it a few times overnight (level 5 on one occasion) and no problems so far. Happy days.

Looks great, slepted upstairs for the first time a few weeks ago(kids normally in top bunk) and I did notice the temperature difference.
Surely there's a market for a product like that, it does seem strange that after purchasing the night heater option on our beach half the occupants freeze while the other half are toasty

Back