Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heatwave

BigMan

BigMan

We travelled to the continent to get away from the wet British weather however we are currently on Lake Como where last night the temperature in our van did not dip below 35 degrees, neither of us were able to sleep as even upstairs was unbearable. We ended up getting up at 4am to go and sit by the river. Today we are expecting temperatures of over 40 degrees in the shade. We are now looking to forfeit our last few nights here and head to the mountains as are several other campers, some are even looking for hotels.

Just a warning for anyone heading this way, especially with kids or dogs.. It is not enjoyable!

California is not fun any more in Europe weather! ;-)

I'm in the South of France at the moment , we have a house here in Langedoc , Cali parked in garage . It's over 45 c in the sun outside , too hot for going outside , would be a nightmare sleeping in the Cali , hardly cools down at night . Recently we installed AC in the house or it would have also been far too hot to sleep in the house . Previous to the aircon we had to sleep outdoors on a few occasions , if your in a house or a Cali without aircon the only option is sleeping outside, with mattress / sheet .

Thats why we won't frequent go south in july and august .
My brother in law lives near Avignon and this time of the year the only thing you can do is sit in the shade from 10am til 20pm.
And this year it seems even worse.
Way to hot if you can not stay on a campsite with trees providing shade.

Today is cooler in South of France about 31c , in the shade , whole 12 c less , still feel super hot though ..,

10 days so far in The Vendee, temp hasn't gone above 25/6. Cold at night aswell. I think we will have to drive further next year as this is becoming the norm over the last few years. Last trip south Perpignon 2011 temps were 42 + brand new Caravelle air con could not cope.

raining in Southampton

@home in my garden....a nice 25celcius , light breeze.....
Cold not be better as i am working outside in my shed filled with wood for my stove .
Getting prepared for WINTER....:Depressed

Nice and sunny here, cool breeze. I'm leaving the driving to someone else today, having a break...

2 drivers.jpg

Arrived in Como sunday night after two weeks in France. Too windy to be able to cook outside of the Cali, worthless vehicle. Was told by the police we could not stay in our car park in a camper at night. Crap vehicle :)

Oh i lied its 16 since the rain stopped.
We drove back from North Berwick yesterday to Cambridgeshire in what can only be described as biblical weather - it was slow progress as the A1 was like a river and everyone was aquaplaning. I've been trying to empty the cali today after our hols, and it's too wet to go out the front door. What a lovely summer! I know being hot can be unpleasant, but tbh I'm feeling a little unsympathetic to the people in the heat just now ..... sorry guys!

Hit 20.5 today. Our heatwave arrived and went by 5pm.

We have just had a week in Potes, Picos De Europas - it has been about 20 degrees. Now in St Jean De Luz - a pleasant 23 degrees today. Head to the Basque Country!

Don't come to Brittany the weather is rubbish we ran our heater last night and its raining today again. Might head for Italy to stop my feet being numb.

It's a pleasant 28 degrees here in Tuscany, thankfully we missed the heatwave.

Back last weekend from a great two weeks in Europe. Got as far as Tuscany and then back along the Coast and through Provence.
We knew it would be hot (that's why went south after all) and made some preparations. Three USB fans bought on amazon, shady pitches, kep tthe blinds and sun screens down in the day and an insulated roof liner.
Not a problem, rather that than be huddled in side the van looking at the rain!

I'm in the South of France at the moment , we have a house here in Langedoc , Cali parked in garage . It's over 45 c in the sun outside , too hot for going outside , would be a nightmare sleeping in the Cali , hardly cools down at night . Recently we installed AC in the house or it would have also been far too hot to sleep in the house . Previous to the aircon we had to sleep outdoors on a few occasions , if your in a house or a Cali without aircon the only option is sleeping outside, with mattress / sheet .

Hi Stuart,
We too in S France at the moment and place in 66. Have you had any problems with your roof giving "not closed" warning sounds. Ours is really playing up even though it looks fully closed during the hot periods of the day the display panel is saying roof not closed and beeping intermittently to the point where we have had to strap it down just for peace of mind.

Slightly off original post but relevant to the heatwave topic.

Has anyone had problems this year or previously with their roof giving warnings sounds giving the impression that the roof is not closed even though it looks perfectly flat.
If so could you please comment along any observations or experiences.
It would also help if the colour of your vehicle could be stated to see if it has any relevance to the sensors or hydraulics overheating due to high ambient temperatures.
Thanks-----sorry again for going slightly off piste with the topic.