Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heatwave

We were in Croatia last week and it peaked at 44 C in the shade! It was pretty hot, spent our time running from the shade to the sea. At night time we had to sleep with the doors open and two fans on (one up top for the kids, another below for us. I used a gel pad for my pillow to help keep me cool enough to sleep - I always keep one rolled up in the fridge set to 1C ❄️. It was hot but just about bearable.
We then drove to La Fouly in Switzerland - 1650 m altitude, literally in the clouds and the temperature dropped to 7C! Kids couldn't believe we could go from one extreme to the other in a single day's drive

Slightly off original post but relevant to the heatwave topic.

Has anyone had problems this year or previously with their roof giving warnings sounds giving the impression that the roof is not closed even though it looks perfectly flat.
If so could you please comment along any observations or experiences.
It would also help if the colour of your vehicle could be stated to see if it has any relevance to the sensors or hydraulics overheating due to high ambient temperatures.
Thanks-----sorry again for going slightly off piste with the topic.
Having spent 6 weeks in France, mostly very hot we had no problems with our roof. If it is up for long periods it does groan periodically, something to do with resetting the hydraulics, which can be frightening at 2 in the morning but otherwise ok. Oh , yes, the colour is metallic beige.
Do you keep anything in your roof when travelling?

I was in Saddleworth yesterday, on the Costa Del Oldham, and will confirm that it is a heatstroke-free zone :D

Having spent 6 weeks in France, mostly very hot we had no problems with our roof. If it is up for long periods it does groan periodically, something to do with resetting the hydraulics, which can be frightening at 2 in the morning but otherwise ok. Oh , yes, the colour is metallic beige.
Do you keep anything in your roof when travelling?

Hi David,
thanks for that.
We only keep the standard Cali 2 part mattress up there and check before dropping the roof that its lying flat so its probably not anything stopping the roof from shutting but instead faulty sensors that are giving false readings during extremes of hot weather.
Our roof is dark grey and I as other people were reporting similar issues with their roofs during hot weather I was just curious if the problem has any link to darker colours absorbing more heat.
Maybe others who have had the same issues will report back and the colour of the vehicle can be discounted ?

We did have a problem with the upper bed mattress. We sleep on the bottom bed and so the top bed is up all the time and the top mattress slid down to the lower end and pulled the bottom corner of the tent material out of the roof at one corner. You said that you check that your upper bed is flat so it won't affect you, but, if the mattress is left down at the bottom then that could affect the roof going down.
We have got Inka covers on the mattresses which makes them slippery so I might take it off the one up stairs