Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello and a question

slushf

slushf

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
This has been years in the planning. As the kids got older and less interested in knocking about with us, we decided to get rid of the large tow car and caravan, dispense with site storage and seasonal pitch fees and trade up to a Cali. When our extension was build in 2017 I made sure the garage clearance was 2.01m to accommodate the baby once we got it. That and reading forums like those here and elsewhere plus drooling over auto-trader meant I pretty much knew what I wanted. So last week we planned a route around the south coast area taking in several VW and other dealers. And we found it pretty much at the first dealwe. A demo Beach in two-tone white and blue with 24 miles on the clock and every conceivable extra. Extras alone were c£30k list but I didn't pay that. So I picked up Saturday and I'm very happy indeed. The question - out of all the thousands of accessories out there from hi-tech to low tech, what Accessory have you found most useful on your travels. Cheers all.

hi there. are you able to say what you did pay for your demo Cali? we are going to look at one in dealer today. just be good to know although we way off where you are. thanks

hi there. are you able to say what you did pay for your demo Cali? we are going to look at one in dealer today. just be good to know although we way off where you are. thanks
59 - he threw in 1 yr road tax and the bike rack plus rubber mats. Good luck!

This has been years in the planning. As the kids got older and less interested in knocking about with us, we decided to get rid of the large tow car and caravan, dispense with site storage and seasonal pitch fees and trade up to a Cali. When our extension was build in 2017 I made sure the garage clearance was 2.01m to accommodate the baby once we got it. That and reading forums like those here and elsewhere plus drooling over auto-trader meant I pretty much knew what I wanted. So last week we planned a route around the south coast area taking in several VW and other dealers. And we found it pretty much at the first dealwe. A demo Beach in two-tone white and blue with 24 miles on the clock and every conceivable extra. Extras alone were c£30k list but I didn't pay that. So I picked up Saturday and I'm very happy indeed. The question - out of all the thousands of accessories out there from hi-tech to low tech, what Accessory have you found most useful on your travels. Cheers all.
Hi and welcome.

The most usefull? Nice weather.
Apart from that? I have an Ocean (California Comfortline mine is called as there was no Ocean at the time), so mine is fully equipped.
A Beach could use a fridge, a cooker? It all depends on how you are going to use your van.

And I know where you got that from! You just pipped me to it.

Congratulations. It's very nice indeed with almost every bell and whistle included. By the time I got around to discussing a deal some blighter had bought it. I hope you have many happy adventures in he/she/it.

The number one accessory has to be the Brandrup ISO-TOP 1V internal roof liner. They are expensive but worth every penny. They keep the roof warm, dry, draught free and dark. They also keep it cooler in the summer.

How about some photos?

Last edited:
You’ve just bought what most would consider the best camper van in the world - and you got a really nice one! Worth all the reading and scheming I’m sure. Now, throw some camping gear in there, close the books and get out there in it. Make memories, take pictures and come back here and share them. There’s nothing else you need.

What a beauty, congratulations. We need pics please!

The best thing we’ve bought so far, apart from the fridge, has got to be Vanessa window bags.

Since your vehicle is technically a used California, did you know about the little publisised £1200 of free accessories with every used VW California purchase?

Also, when I have purchased Californias from SMG in the past they have offered a discount on accessories to VW California Club VIP members. Also bear in mind the price match promise that the club shop offers.

The first offer may no longer apply but if that's the case VW should take it off t'internet.

If your question was which three accessories..............? Then I agree with Kave.

1. Brandrup - ISO-TOP 1V internal roof liner
2. Waeco/Dometic - CFX35 fridge/freezer
3. Calicap.de - pull out boot drawer. The optimum length for the seven seat Beach is the 700mm. This length is very useful and doesn't compromise the versatility of the seven seat Beach. It can be left in situe all of the time.

Here is a photo of the tray and fridge/freezer in our current Cali:

20181123_134511.jpg

The boxes are Euro boxes made by AUER.

Solar panels.

They trickle charge the leisure battery keeping it in tip top condition.

We can leave our compressor fridge plugged in 24/7. Useful for supermarket frozen goods as well as camping foods.

We spent 3 months touring the Nordic countries and the Baltic states without hookup. This meant we could choose some of the very best pitches. Where hookup is charged you also save a few Euros.

And at the end of the day it gives a nice feeling when you sit down to enjoy a cold beer knowing it has been chilled by the warm rays of the sun.

I know you suggested you’re sore at missing out on this opportunity but what good does it do trying to dampen their joy with comments like you could have got a better deal. Your advice would be useful on a post asking about what people should do when buying a used California from a dealer. Here it just seems unhelpful.

Err, I think you have misread Borris's post, and/or misunderstood his intention. May take was that he was suggesting that the OP might be able to get the VW accessories deal added on, assuming the deal is still 'in progress'. And if not, it would certainly be of interest to other buyers at the moment.

Solar panels.

They trickle charge the leisure battery keeping it in tip top condition.

We can leave our compressor fridge plugged in 24/7. Useful for supermarket frozen goods as well as camping foods.

We spent 3 months touring the Nordic countries and the Baltic states without hookup. This meant we could choose some of the very best pitches. Where hookup is charged you also save a few Euros.

And at the end of the day it gives a nice feeling when you sit down to enjoy a cold beer knowing it has been chilled by the warm rays of the sun.

How much solar power capability (Watts) do you think you need on the van for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know you suggested you’re sore at missing out on this opportunity but what good does it do trying to dampen their joy with comments like you could have got a better deal. Your advice would be useful on a post asking about what people should do when buying a used California from a dealer. Here it just seems unhelpful.
I'm not sore. That remark was purely tongue in cheek. I was merely trying to help the OP by pointing out that he could get another £1200 worth of accessories from VW because his van is an ex demo and therefore technically used. That offer is only available on used Calis. I haven't read the Ts and Cs but if the offer is still running then I can see no reason why he cannot get this extra bonus.

I was interested in his van but the spec didn't quite accord with our ideal next Beach. I am just pleased that he has found his perfect van.

I've since ordered our next Beach in our exact spec.

Last edited:
How much solar power capability (Watts) do you think you need on the van for this?
We have 2 x 100 watt panels (one of which has blown).

The new panels from @Roger Donoghue are, I think 110 watts each. It may be possible to squeeze 3 panels onto the roof, but you would need an upgraded charger for that.

With 220 watts you’d probably see 6-10 amps going into the battery on a sunny English summer’s day. Half that with light cloud cover, and half again (1.5 - 2.5 amps) on a grey rainless day.

Many people have gone for a single panel, and find it perfectly adequate. For the relatively small extra cost, I see no reason for not going for the dual panel solution, then, if like us, one panel blows it is not a worry.

You also need to consider when you recharge iPads and phones. Two iPads and two iPhones recharging overnight will take its toll on the battery. Recharging them in bright morning sunlight when 6 amps are going into the battery will be fine.

Remember also that if camping in winter your solar generation is hit with a quadruple whammy. Lower sun, shorter days, more cloud cover and greater use of lighting. The only benefit being less need for refrigeration.

We have 2 x 100 watt panels (one of which has blown).

The new panels from @Roger Donoghue are, I think 110 watts each. It may be possible to squeeze 3 panels onto the roof, but you would need an upgraded charger for that.

With 220 watts you’d probably see 6-10 amps going into the battery on a sunny English summer’s day. Half that with light cloud cover, and half again (1.5 - 2.5 amps) on a grey rainless day.

Many people have gone for a single panel, and find it perfectly adequate. For the relatively small extra cost, I see no reason for not going for the dual panel solution, then, if like us, one panel blows it is not a worry.

You also need to consider when you recharge iPads and phones. Two iPads and two iPhones recharging overnight will take its toll on the battery. Recharging them in bright morning sunlight when 6 amps are going into the battery will be fine.

Remember also that if camping in winter your solar generation is hit with a quadruple whammy. Lower sun, shorter days, more cloud cover and greater use of lighting. The only benefit being less need for refrigeration.

Thanks, I have recently had one panel fitted, which has been great in summer, but I think I need to upgrade for the winter from your experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The current panels are 120w and one is plenty in british summer for the cali fridge and general camping.

Winter is another ball game. Hardly any solar energy out there.

Dometic fridge
CaliCap sliding drawer in the boot
Brandrup Isotop
:)

:welcome To the Beach Club Slushf

Best purchase is the Dometic cfx35 fridge / freezer
2) Vanessa window bags

Consider the 5 year extended warranty , assuming it’s less than three months since registration?

Post a piccy please

Having purchased and sold two awnings we eventually plumped for side attachments to the wind out awning. First tried out last year in Europe but the photo shows the van at Barcaldine camp site near Oban yesterday. The previous day it was blowing a hooly and because the awning was in effect tied down by the side panels it was pretty stable. We also use a ‘snood’ for the pop up which provides insulation, waterproofness and blackout. C00D5F05-3831-45CB-A794-40ADEFD7F3C2.jpeg

We've found much the same. We have a Fiamma rainsheet for the front of the awning and two side sheets (Brandrup copies Sshh!) and we have found that it's pretty stable in most winds. We have also toughened it up a bit with those yellow straps that fix on the side of the awning and are pegged down. The trick is to stop the wind form getting under the awning and lifting it. I keep thinking about getting those big flat heavy weights that stall holders use in markets for the feet. Heavy though.to transport.
PS have to be carful on Camping Club sites because they put a plastic sheet under the hardstanding and if the peg goes through the plastic it can be almost impossible to get out

Hi All

First and foremost many thanks for your replies and the great list of accessories suggested. This will keep me in research for quite some time and I will come back to you individually with questions as I work through these. For me the community has already paid my membership with these replies so thank you!

The attached photos were taken last week when we had a first trip out. The youngest boy slept in the overhead bunk and the eldest the large bed down below. Both reported very comfortable. We didn't use the heater and I had a question on that - When the saleman briefly demonstrated the heater He mentioned and I could smell diesel. I menat to ask and I hope it is the case, perhaps one of you kind folk could confirm, does that diesel smell dissipate after a while. I would not really want to be polluting the neighbours or poisoninng us for that matter!

We're planning a proper trip at the end of this month to try out the full experience (I bought a Vango Galli Low RSV III for this purpose). The Van came with a tow bar and I have a small Trailer which I may use when we're going on proper trips with mobile kitchen etc.

Last I just wanted to reiterate my thanks to you all for your help and welcoming posts. If anyone has any questions about the Van I have please feel free to ask. If there is a good place to find out about trips / meets where like minded Cali owners can meet up?

Cheers everyone

20190808_151901.jpg

20190808_151949.jpg

20190808_151957.jpg

20190808_152112.jpg

20190808_152146.jpg

20190808_152157.jpg

Hi what a lovely looking van. I have only ever noticed the diesel fume smell on initial start up once up to temperature no problem even with the roof up and sleeping upstairs with heater on low setting (2) just to keep out the cold. Others have advised on here to be careful when using an awning as the exhaust is under the drivers side door. As for other campers yes a bit of common sense if you have tents close to you but often on the sorts of day\nights you have need of the heater the weather drowns out any noise/fume issue or everyone else is shut up tight in their vans. Happy camping.

For what it is worth we rarely use the diesel heater, mainly because of the smell and have small (very small) fan heater which we use when plugged into the mains. This is more relevant on UK sites where we are all squeezed together, it is not such a problem in for example France where the pits are big