Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello! New Cali owner - scary places to drive?

bgg1b

bgg1b

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Hi everyone, we took the plunge and are now the proud owners of Mungo, the two-tone bay-leaf green 4motion. I’ve learnt so much reading this forum for months and watching all the inspiring YouTube videos. I’m currently taking my time to get to know the Cali and getting confident with driving a large vehicle. As a newbie, I’m starting to plan trips and I’d love to what are the most scariest places in Britain (width, incline, terrain) which I should make a note to steer clear of.

Hi everyone, we took the plunge and are now the proud owners of Mungo, the two-tone bay-leaf green 4motion. I’ve learnt so much reading this forum for months and watching all the inspiring YouTube videos. I’m currently taking my time to get to know the Cali and getting confident with driving a large vehicle. As a newbie, I’m starting to plan trips and I’d love to what are the most scariest places in Britain (width, incline, terrain) which I should make a note to steer clear of.
This all depends on your level of confidence. A scary road to one is an enjoyable drive to another. My advice is, don't be afraid to turn back if you find yourself getting overwhelmed. Try to think/plan ahead, including "where can I turn round", and make sure you look at detailed maps with contours. Also look at YouTube for videos of your route.

Plan ahead and drive within your limits, though if feels like a big vehicle, it has the benefit of high seating position so visibility is great. Due to the visibility, I actually find it easier to park than our Mini!

Other than multi-storey car parks, the only uk road I’ve thought erm this is a bit tight was the one up to the kintyre lighthouse. It’s a narrow road with steep gradients, limited passing places and if there’s more than a handful of cars parked at the end of the road hard work turning round.

How about some of the “balcony roads” in the Vercors in France?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They’re really not that big. There are some nerve wracking moments in underground car parks where you’ve got under the 2.0m barrier but those pipes on the ceiling look very low…

Hadn’t had my (black) van long when I was on a narrow road and made a mess of the paint by brushing against roadside brambles

We had ours for ten years and drove it all over Europe, including the Alps, Pyrenees and Corsican mountain roads. It will pretty much go anywhere a regular car will go. Other than watching out for overhangs and avoiding height barriers, the only other thing to avoid is is up-hill on gravel surfaces. We once had to reverse up a driveway that we’d happily driven down

If you're driving in the UK - I would say pretty much any road with other traffic on it.

People seem to have become completely psycopathic recently and the Police are not to be seen. You need to keep your wits about you everywhere - people have no concerns about pushing through a gap that is too small and not giving way or merging or even giving you time to pull out.

I drive my van like it's worth a million pounds and is made of paper mache. Let everyone else go crazy! I'll just chill and know that if need be I'll pull over and make a cup of tea.

I do like watching some drivers who can't 'drive' their big SUVs reversing though when we meet on Single Tracks. It's very enjoyable especially when I'm under no time constraints.

:)

They’re really not that big. There are some nerve wracking moments in underground car parks where you’ve got under the 2.0m barrier but those pipes on the ceiling look very low…

Hadn’t had my (black) van long when I was on a narrow road and made a mess of the paint by brushing against roadside brambles

This happened to me in a Type 2 in Spain once.

Got in to the carpark under the barrier fine - then wedged it against the roof on the first floor of the carpark causing huge queue and having to force a lot of angry Spaniards to reverse back out of the carpark to let us out.

It's funny now to think about, but at the time it was horrific!

Sub 2m Car Parks.
You have the ultimate California, so if you are prepared to drive it in a car you can drive it in your California.

Not got mine yet, but had a few occasions recently to drive a same size Transporter van and was surprised at how "Tradis" like it was - felt like I was in a huge, high vehicle, when in fact it's barely wider or longer than my current car (a Merc GLA).

My driveway is quite tight so I assumed, before the Cali arrives in Spring next year, I'd need to widen it a bit. Got the Transporter on there with no problem and because of the flat sides and high doors, actually felt like there was more room (think it's technically 100mm wider).

Thanks for the advise everyone, I previously had an Evoque so I’m ok with the width and I know from reading all the posts Cali can limbo under most 2m Car Park height barriers. The thing I’m finding most weird is sitting up so high, I have this feeling I’m going to lean too far into a bend and topple over. But I’m sure it’s just a case of getting used to it and trying to remember not to drive it like a sports car.

Thanks for the advise everyone, I previously had an Evoque so I’m ok with the width and I know from reading all the posts Cali can limbo under most 2m Car Park height barriers. The thing I’m finding most weird is sitting up so high, I have this feeling I’m going to lean too far into a bend and topple over. But I’m sure it’s just a case of getting used to it and trying to remember not to drive it like a sports car.
Nothing wrong with driving it with some gusto.

Hardknott pass in the lakes at eskdale. Some proper bad drivers on there and easy to scrape the van or ding a wheel on huge boulders jutting out into the road while you try make way for oncoming traffic who don't know what a passing place is for

I probably wouldn’t tackle the Hardknott Pass in Cumbria in a Cali. Applecross Pass in Scotland is a bit twitchy but doable and worthwhile if you have a decent clear day.

Hardknott pass in the lakes at eskdale. Some proper bad drivers on there and easy to scrape the van or ding a wheel on huge boulders jutting out into the road while you try make way for oncoming traffic who don't know what a passing place is for
Easy peasy
Would I do it again, probably not. Me in the Cali behind. 4Motion with winter tyres. Mate in the Bongo struggled a bit. The scary bit is coming down, not up.

Easy peasy
Would I do it again, probably not. Me in the Cali behind. 4Motion with winter tyres. Mate in the Bongo struggled a bit. The scary bit is coming down, not up.
Brave!

Easy peasy
Definitely noted, thanks!

Hardknott pass in the lakes at eskdale. Some proper bad drivers on there and easy to scrape the van or ding a wheel on huge boulders jutting out into the road while you try make way for oncoming traffic who don't know what a passing place is f

The Hardnott Pass is a real bum twitcher. some bends are so steep and tight the van corners on 3 wheels

We’ve driven mountain passes in the uk and the alps with no issues.
Van isn’t really that big and due to the good visibility, I find it easier on tight roads than my Jag as the Jag’s bonnet and A pillars are more restrictive.
Get out there and surprise yourself

Back