Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello & Question! New Beach, Used, or Wait?

Thanks Neilos!

Oh we also had a look at the power latching tailgate and door on the Ocean, and will go with those rather than the electric sliding door. Want to cut down the noise at night.

Also waiting to hear what the new offers are this quarter.

We are lucky to have Phil + Breeze Poole about 5 miles away.

Tom, thank you for your posts and pics very helpful. Do you/have you put the kids in the roof yet? We worry about them falling out. Also, do those plastic boxes slide open when they are stacked on top of each other? What boxes are they? We have some "really useful boxes" but although they stack, you cannot open them when stacked.
Yes - both boys (now 5 and 4) sleep very happily in the roof.

The Muji drawers are truly excellent for the Beach - yes they open.

IMG_2425.JPG

Hi @Amarillo do you by any chance have a link to the muji drawers? I can’t see them on the muji website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi @Amarillo do you by any chance have a link to the muji drawers? I can’t see them on the muji website
Small: https://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?Sec=9&Sub=38&PID=9692&qclr=4547315112104
Medium: https://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?Sec=9&Sub=38&PID=9693&qclr=4547315112098
Large: https://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?Sec=9&Sub=38&PID=9694&qclr=4547315112081

The boot will take either:
  • four medium, or
  • two medium, one small and one large, or
  • two small and two large

Thanks, apologies I could see them but couldn’t see the double drawer unit. Now thinking they are single units stacked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update:- the VW dealer kindly lent us a Beach for the weekend and we went camping. As some of you said, the kids loved sleeping upstairs.

We learnt (on night 2) that the comfort mattress has a hard side and a soft side. And that trying to use the "long bed" setup without 7 seats does not result in a flat bed. The 1st night was quite uncomfortable! The 2nd night was great :)

The portable toilet was brilliant. No more stress trying to find a toilet when the 3 minute countdown begins from a small child announcing that it "needs a wee."

This Beach had LED headlights. They were excellent. It also had cornering fog lights. I don't see the point of these at £372. They're coming off my spec. The parking heater was also very good, and nice for a 5 min blast in the morning before things warmed up in the sun.

So getting ready to order now. Indium Grey with the dark interior. Hopefully it won't be too gloomy, but we want the outside to not need cleaning every 5 minutes, and to be easy to repair dings. I think the dark inside will wear better with muddy children.

Last decision is the wheels. I had planned to stick with standard 16" wheels with all weather tyres for a better ride, and cheaper tyres, but just found out that 17" wheels allow the uprated brakes. Anyone tried both normal brakes and the upgraded brakes? Not sure if it is worth it. I am not a "wheels" person, so the look of 17" vs 16" doesn't make any difference to me. Do the 17" Cascavel wheels resist kerbing well, or do the rims sit proud of the tyres compared with the 16"?

Spec so far (wheels might change) Any more comments on the options list?

Volkswagen California MPV M1 2.0TDI 150 DPFR StopStart EU6 Beach DSG Auto7 
  1. Paint - Metallic - Indium Grey : Indium Grey - GBP 708.00
  2. Upholstery - Kutamo Fabric - Titanium Black-Moonrock Grey : Titanium Black-Moonrock - GBP 0.00
  3. Adaptive Cruise Control ACC including Front Assist and City Emergency Braking - Max Speed 99mph - GBP 414.00
  4. +add sidescan/Lane Change assist but the option didn't work properly
  5. All Weather Tyres 215-65 R16 C 106-104T - Optimized Rolling Resistance - GBP 156.00
  6. Central Locking - 4 Remote Folding Keys - GBP 114.00
  7. Comfort Dashboard Package - GBP 1404.00
  8. Composition Media Radio with Touch Screen - 6.33in - GBP 474.00
  9. Heated Driver and Front Passenger Seats - GBP 324.00
  10. Interior Light Concept for Camper Comfort in Passenger Compartment - GBP 288.00
  11. Leather Multi-Function Steering Wheel and Gear Knob with Radio and Telephone Controls - GBP 384.00
  12. LED Headlights with LED Daytime Running and Tailgate with Red Tail Lights - GBP 1812.00
  13. Lights and Vision Package - GBP 276.00
  14. Privacy Glass in Passenger - Load Compartment with Green Heat-insulating Glass in Cab - GBP 312.00
  15. Reversing Camera with Front and Rear Parking Sensors - GBP 714.00
  16. Towbar - Removable and Lockable with Trailer Stabilisation - GBP 672.00
  17. Tailgate - Power Latching - GBP 138.00
  18. App Connect - GBP 174.00
  19. High Beam Assist - GBP 156.00
  20. Power Latching for Driver Side Sliding Door - GBP 144.00
  21. Programmable Parking Heater - Air with Radio Remote Control and Auxiliary Heater - Coolant - GBP 1980.00
  22. +add mesh flyscreens on both sliding windows. Option didn't work properly.
  23. Wing Mirrors - Heated - Power Adjustable and Power Folding Wing Mirrors - GBP 144.00
  24. Awning - Black Rail and Housing - GBP 474.00
  25. Bed Extension with Comfort Sleeping Mat - GBP 282.00
  26. Seats - 3-Seater Bench Movable with Reclining Seat Mechanism and Multi-Flex Board with Padding x3 Drawers - GBP 0.00
  27. Heated Front Windscreen - GBP 450.00
  28. Fuel Tank 80l - GBP 90.00
  29. 2 x USB Interface - GBP 0.00 

That’s a pretty similar spec to mine, you won’t be disappointed
One thing I can’t see the rear air con on the list, I presume you still have to spec it on a beach? (Well worth it for rear passengers)

Yep - it is part of the comfort dash I'm told.

One thing I can’t see the rear air con on the list, I presume you still have to spec it on a beach? (Well worth it for rear passengers)

Climatronic air conditioning with a second evaporator is included with the comfort dashboard.

Ah ha I think your right :thumb

5year extended warranty is worth considering, must be done within 3 months of registration, May even get the dealer to Chuck it in at the last knocking of the negotiation.
Don’t forget to get some rubber mats for the front footwell chucked in also.

Hi,

Have you considered a T5 Beach instead and bank some the saving for the building work?

We just purchased a 2012 California Beach with 16,000 miles for £27.5k (with many extras inc 3 zone climate and parking heater).
Personally I wouldn’t get too obsessed with resale values, but think more about the good times had with the family on van trips!

Over the years we have owned a T2 Viking conversion, cost £3k in 1990 (values now in excess of £15k if you can find one). Then a T25, drove for 3 years and then sold for purchase price. T4 Bilbo conversion, paid £5k, sold for £9k 3 years later.....the camper market is very niche, so you will never lose much. Rust free T4’s are difficult to find so people will start to focus on older T5’s, then eventually T6’s when as more affordable over time, so resale values should always be decent regardless of whether its petrol, diesel or electric.

All our vans have been used a daily drivers, taxi’ing kids around for various sports, camping SW France in the summer, surfing UK south coast all winter, as well as coming in handy for the odd large furniture purchase on eBay!

Just make sure you buy a VW, as other brands don’t have quite the same following!

Hi, thank you for another option! Yes, we considered this, and because we intend to use it as a family car, and generally for longer distances, my number one must-have is the adaptive cruise. That limits me to recent vehicles. From there it is a small jump to buying what we really want new!

HI just looked at your spec-rather impressive.
After having our Beach for a few 2 month(used as a second car) there are only a couple of options I would like to have, remember our van was taken from stock as I couldn't waits months for delivery.
Really miss the steering wheel multi function for radio control and after living with the vehicle power locking on the tail gate and side door would be useful.
The tailgate is heavy and takes a little effort, my wife finds it a struggle and like wise the sliding door is difficult for the kids to close from the inside, constantly telling them before driving off 'the doors not closed properly'.

Three options I wouldn't be without are below.
I agree LED headlamps are great, expensive but well worth the money, our night heater has been used on a couple of occasions and as we get into the cooler camping months will be used more, again well worth the expense.
As regards to wheels I stayed on the standard 16inch, part exchange vehicle was a Mini Cooper S with upgraded wheels and tyres-never again ! but I did take the dealer fit lowering kit. drops ride height by 30mm and improves body roll to car like standards, cost £300ish.

Further to that I've added body side moulding, van parked in a works carpark all day so hopefully will limit door dings and protective film behind door pulls.

Just about to order rear bumper protector and side body tubes, the expense will one day stop but the fun continues.
Off to sunny Norfolk this weekend :)

Further to that I've added body side moulding, van parked in a works carpark all day so hopefully will limit door dings and protective film behind door pulls.
What mouldings and film did you get, and what bumper protector? I looked at the painted bumper on the Beach with no protection and thought that's going to get ruined quickly loading stuff in and out.

Hi, @Wondering Star - seeing your comment on the difficulty of closing the tailgate, we find there is a big difference depending on how much is in the tailgate storage area :
- Nothing = Definite effort to pull down
- 2 x deck chairs = still some effort
- 2 x deck chairs AND sides & front for Comfortz awning room slotted within the deck chairs = nicely balanced, and actually needs a bit of a push up to get it to settle above head height when opening.
So if it is proving difficult to get the tailgate to pull down, try slotting some more things into the deck chair area until it is balanced.

Update:- the VW dealer kindly lent us a Beach for the weekend and we went camping. As some of you said, the kids loved sleeping upstairs.

We learnt (on night 2) that the comfort mattress has a hard side and a soft side. And that trying to use the "long bed" setup without 7 seats does not result in a flat bed. The 1st night was quite uncomfortable! The 2nd night was great :)

The portable toilet was brilliant. No more stress trying to find a toilet when the 3 minute countdown begins from a small child announcing that it "needs a wee."

This Beach had LED headlights. They were excellent. It also had cornering fog lights. I don't see the point of these at £372. They're coming off my spec. The parking heater was also very good, and nice for a 5 min blast in the morning before things warmed up in the sun.

So getting ready to order now. Indium Grey with the dark interior. Hopefully it won't be too gloomy, but we want the outside to not need cleaning every 5 minutes, and to be easy to repair dings. I think the dark inside will wear better with muddy children.

Last decision is the wheels. I had planned to stick with standard 16" wheels with all weather tyres for a better ride, and cheaper tyres, but just found out that 17" wheels allow the uprated brakes. Anyone tried both normal brakes and the upgraded brakes? Not sure if it is worth it. I am not a "wheels" person, so the look of 17" vs 16" doesn't make any difference to me. Do the 17" Cascavel wheels resist kerbing well, or do the rims sit proud of the tyres compared with the 16"?

Spec so far (wheels might change) Any more comments on the options list?

Volkswagen California MPV M1 2.0TDI 150 DPFR StopStart EU6 Beach DSG Auto7 
  1. Paint - Metallic - Indium Grey : Indium Grey - GBP 708.00
  2. Upholstery - Kutamo Fabric - Titanium Black-Moonrock Grey : Titanium Black-Moonrock - GBP 0.00
  3. Adaptive Cruise Control ACC including Front Assist and City Emergency Braking - Max Speed 99mph - GBP 414.00
  4. +add sidescan/Lane Change assist but the option didn't work properly
  5. All Weather Tyres 215-65 R16 C 106-104T - Optimized Rolling Resistance - GBP 156.00
  6. Central Locking - 4 Remote Folding Keys - GBP 114.00
  7. Comfort Dashboard Package - GBP 1404.00
  8. Composition Media Radio with Touch Screen - 6.33in - GBP 474.00
  9. Heated Driver and Front Passenger Seats - GBP 324.00
  10. Interior Light Concept for Camper Comfort in Passenger Compartment - GBP 288.00
  11. Leather Multi-Function Steering Wheel and Gear Knob with Radio and Telephone Controls - GBP 384.00
  12. LED Headlights with LED Daytime Running and Tailgate with Red Tail Lights - GBP 1812.00
  13. Lights and Vision Package - GBP 276.00
  14. Privacy Glass in Passenger - Load Compartment with Green Heat-insulating Glass in Cab - GBP 312.00
  15. Reversing Camera with Front and Rear Parking Sensors - GBP 714.00
  16. Towbar - Removable and Lockable with Trailer Stabilisation - GBP 672.00
  17. Tailgate - Power Latching - GBP 138.00
  18. App Connect - GBP 174.00
  19. High Beam Assist - GBP 156.00
  20. Power Latching for Driver Side Sliding Door - GBP 144.00
  21. Programmable Parking Heater - Air with Radio Remote Control and Auxiliary Heater - Coolant - GBP 1980.00
  22. +add mesh flyscreens on both sliding windows. Option didn't work properly.
  23. Wing Mirrors - Heated - Power Adjustable and Power Folding Wing Mirrors - GBP 144.00
  24. Awning - Black Rail and Housing - GBP 474.00
  25. Bed Extension with Comfort Sleeping Mat - GBP 282.00
  26. Seats - 3-Seater Bench Movable with Reclining Seat Mechanism and Multi-Flex Board with Padding x3 Drawers - GBP 0.00
  27. Heated Front Windscreen - GBP 450.00
  28. Fuel Tank 80l - GBP 90.00
  29. 2 x USB Interface - GBP 0.00 
I can't see where you've added the 2nd sliding rear window which could be why nr 22 above didn't work.
I might be wrong on current spec but beaches always used to come with only one slider as standard.

The options list actually came from Autoebid - I'm waiting for a clarification from them on the sliding windows.

However, the VW configurator is also confusing me. It looks like this.

I would like a sliding window with fly screen on both sides. I asked the dealer what the highlighted £216 option was for, he didn't know and said the Beach comes with sliding windows on both sides as standard so I just need to add the mesh at no cost.

Based on your comment I think I also need to add the £216 option, but then the configurator should not have let me tick the fly screen option on the driver side without also ticking the £216 option?

My 2019 Beach only came with a sliding window on the nearside as standard. I think you may have been given wrong information by that dealer.
Definately Sliding window to passenger side only as standard in Beaches.

I asked the dealer what the highlighted £216 option was for, he didn't know and said the Beach comes with sliding windows on both sides as standard so I just need to add the mesh at no cost.
Fake news.

As standard the Beach comes with a sliding window on the passenger side and a fixed window in the sliding door.

The £216 option is for a sliding window on the sliding door. The fixed window it refers to is the fixed window at the back - behind the C pillar.

The sliding window on the passenger door is a security concern. Leave it open with the doors locked and anyone can put their hand through and open the sliding door.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for clearing this up!

The sliding window on the passenger door is a security concern. Leave it open with the doors locked and anyone can put their hand through and open the sliding door.

Ok - useful info. Is there any security issue if the sliding window is shut?

Are there any disadvantages in having the 17" chassis (T32 base) with the GVW of 3080KG versus the standard T30 base?

Back