Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help/Advice please? Problem with Composition radio not progressing beyond Welcome screen

Alan Andrews

Alan Andrews

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello,

I used the radio earlier and everything was ok.

Just come to drive the Cali and now the Composition radio unit (without Nav) will not boot beyond the VW Welcome screen.

I've tried holding the power button to do a 'soft reset' but this has no effect.

Any help or advice please?

Many thanks

NB Cali is 2017 T6 Ocean

Hi there is a software update for your unit if it’s a composition media get it booked in with your local dealer

Many thanks VW Guru,

Is there a version number to quote or something?

There is a technical bulletin they should know of the update come out about a month ago

Thanks VW Guru.

Is it normal that one day it works fine and then not?

Yes we have had many issues with those units. You may end up having a new radio but the software update seems to be fixing 9 out of ten units.

Many thanks VW Guru.

If the software fix does not resolve the issue, will a replacement unit be covered by the VW Warranty?

Cali is booked in for next Friday. Fingers crossed it will be fixed with software update.

Many thanks VW Guru.

If the software fix does not resolve the issue, will a replacement unit be covered by the VW Warranty?

Yes it will be covered under the warranty if a new Unit is required

VW Guru. Thanks again.

I'll update once its been to the garage.

update:

I took the Cali to VW Birmingham Van Centre today.

It turns out the software fix does not fix the problem with my head unit, so a new unit is to be provided under warranty.

It should arrive in 3-4 days and will be replaced whilst I wait.

I'm really happy with the service at Birmingham.

oh forgot to mention, that they said that 6-7 units are replaced each week across the vw van range.

Yes we have had many issues with those units. You may end up having a new radio but the software update seems to be fixing 9 out of ten units.
There is a software update in the menus if I recall, is it possible to do any updates by yourself from a usb memory?

There is a software update in the menus if I recall, is it possible to do any updates by yourself from a usb memory?

No it’s maps only. You can’t upgrade the firmware yourself.

Update:
The head unit was replaced under warranty yesterday.

It took a little longer than expected to install it as I had previously upgraded with Voice Control, Rear View camera etc.

But all is working great now.

Many thanks to the chaps and ladies at Birmingham VW Van Centre.

Back