Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help! - independent VW Cali Engineer needed to inspect and report on Ocean

Moore288

Moore288

VIP Member
Hi all-
Does anyone know an independent VW engineer who can inspect and write a report on our 2017 California Ocean? Aylesbury / Watford area.

10 weeks at the Dealer after previous botched warranty repair. Still they can’t fix it. (Leak front drivers side, probably drain fitting but they don’t know).

I would like to have it inspected so I know what the issue is and can get it repaired properly and before our family holidays...

Thanks for any advice / suggestions :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try vs Bury St Edmunds, they're great!

Try vs Bury St Edmunds, they're great!

Hi - thanks a lot , sorry though I can’t work out what the company in Bury St Edmunds you mean is called ?
Richard

Hi - thanks a lot , sorry though I can’t work out what the company in Bury St Edmunds you mean is called ?
Richard

Probably a typographical error.

Hi can I ask what the botched repair was and what you are experiencing I.e water in the cab stained roof lining etc

Moore228,
VW Guru might not be independent, but he certainly knows his California's, I'd get talking to him asap.

Thanks a lot VW Guru. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Here is a photo of the previous attempted repair.
3b53a20527679e5c6857cfa18189df8d.jpg
. And the leak that was worse afterwards:

d551b5ee1dd712fdce1bf297bb72cdae.jpg

In the process they managed to get sealant all over bellows and damage the headlining and stop the handsfree mic working.

aa4887c8cd1c1b15c30dbaad36bde280.jpg

So I complained and they took her back.
(This previous repair took two weeks.)

Now the dealer have had her back for 7 more weeks - so 9 weeks in total. They have replaced the bellows they damaged. Then during the second repair the engineer broke the hydraulics and damaged my bellows lining. So they had to fix those 2 items as well. Tale of woe that leaves me worried!

3 days ago they told me they could still not find the leak despite having inspected the whole thing. Then 2 days ago they said - after I put forward rejecting the vehicle - that they had fixed it by ‘putting on more sealant’ Miracle! Worrying!

They deliver her back tonight. I’ll take some more photos! They also offered a compensation but I have rejected it as I don’t want them to think I have accepted anything yet.

P.s. the dealers customer care team have been great - but not sure their technicians are able to handle the vehicle. I raised a case with VW uk which secured me a more proper replacement vehicle but seemed to have no other impact - I was hoping it would have got the dealer a more expert technician to borrow!

I am glad it’s not just me that thinks it’s unbelievable! I was stunned...

Did they check the roof drains. Do they know they exist? That wet patch looks suspiciously like a detached roof drain pipe so it doesn't matter how much sealant you put on it will still leak.

Did they check the roof drains. Do they know they exist? That wet patch looks suspiciously like a detached roof drain pipe so it doesn't matter how much sealant you put on it will still leak.

That’s exactly what I was going to say. The state of your poor Cali and the amateurish botched repair by a dealer is appalling on any Cali let alone a 2017 Ocean. I’m shocked! I would abs explode...I agree you need an independent assessment and threaten them with County Court action to remedy the issue. I’d also be sending a recorded letter to VWCS with photos and your demands. meanwhile hit VW commercial vehicle’s social media with those pictures: let us know how it progresses and good luck.

Allegedly, and I am a bit sceptical, they ‘replaced the drainage tube’ but that did not solve it. Agree that it was the most likely though...

That’s exactly what I was going to say. The state of your poor Cali and the amateurish botched repair by a dealer is appalling on any Cali let alone a 2017 Ocean. I’m shocked! I would abs explode...I agree you need an independent assessment and threaten them with County Court action to remedy the issue. I’d also be sending a recorded letter to VWCS with photos and your demands. meanwhile hit VW commercial vehicle’s social media with those pictures: let us know how it progresses and good luck.

Yes I think I’ve been too soft on them. It was due back tonight but they said that they wanted to clean it and the valet was sick. So they’ll send it back tomorrow. Let’s see tomorrow, I’ll send photos !

Thanks a lot VW Guru. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Here is a photo of the previous attempted repair.
3b53a20527679e5c6857cfa18189df8d.jpg
. And the leak that was worse afterwards:

d551b5ee1dd712fdce1bf297bb72cdae.jpg

In the process they managed to get sealant all over bellows and damage the headlining and stop the handsfree mic working.

aa4887c8cd1c1b15c30dbaad36bde280.jpg

So I complained and they took her back.
(This previous repair took two weeks.)

Now the dealer have had her back for 7 more weeks - so 9 weeks in total. They have replaced the bellows they damaged. Then during the second repair the engineer broke the hydraulics and damaged my bellows lining. So they had to fix those 2 items as well. Tale of woe that leaves me worried!

3 days ago they told me they could still not find the leak despite having inspected the whole thing. Then 2 days ago they said - after I put forward rejecting the vehicle - that they had fixed it by ‘putting on more sealant’ Miracle! Worrying!

They deliver her back tonight. I’ll take some more photos! They also offered a compensation but I have rejected it as I don’t want them to think I have accepted anything yet.

P.s. the dealers customer care team have been great - but not sure their technicians are able to handle the vehicle. I raised a case with VW uk which secured me a more proper replacement vehicle but seemed to have no other impact - I was hoping it would have got the dealer a more expert technician to borrow!

Hi @Moore288 sorry it’s taken a while for me to reply for some reason not everything I’m tagged in or mentioned in is displaying to me. Anyway on to more important things the pictures you have put up are horrendous I cannot believe that a vw dealer would give a vehicle back to a customer in that state and I’m very concerned about the skill level of the technician that worked on your vehicle I am in truth at a loss for words and I hope that disciplinary action has been taken against said tech. I can see 100% why you have lost all faith in the vw dealer and indeed the vw network however I can assure you not all dealers are like that. I have replaced quite a few of the drains over the years and the normal issue is poor internal sealing as the drain tube enters the rubber grommet inside the roof underneath what you can see in your first picture. The sealant used is a two pack adhesive and goes off rock solid it is also the same sealer used where the hydraulic lines go through the grommet. To replace that grommet correctly the hydraulic lines, electrical sensors, interior roof lining and full hydraulics must be removed. The new grommet must be fitted and drain tube fitted and sealed free of tension then left to cure for 12 hours the hydraulic lines and electrics must then be feed through and sealed again the bonder must cure before any testing can be done. After that everything can be refitted all the hydraulic guide rails that bolt to the roof must be resealed. The internal guide rails for the roof slider must also be replaced and bonded when refitting. By the looks of your photos none of this was done the first time I really hope it has been when you get your Cali back tomorrow. Please upload some pictures I will be very interested to see why a week long repair at the most has taken 7weeks.

Thanks @VW Guru for such a thorough reply (and thanks all for the moral support) - I really appreciate it. I hope to post the pictures of the new repair tonight, if she comes home - after 9 weeks you never know! This is the sum up I’ll give VW uk then if I piece together your words with what they have said to me:

1. The dealer tried to to the repair on the cheap, using a non properly trained Vw tech for some unknown reason

2. The dealer pretended to not know how to fix the first bad repair for 7 weeks to avoid the cost to make good OR they have no techs capable to do a normal repair (they told me they had to pay as VW UK wouldn’t accept a warranty claim and they told me they needed to bring in techs from another dealer

3. In the last 2 weeks the dealer tried to do the repair properly and it didn’t go to plan - hence needing to get new hydraulics, etc

So sadly we haven’t been told the truth or treated fairly. We have good grounds to be concerned for the vehicles actual condition (and value!) - What do you think is reasonable for me to expect/ ask for based on this?

1. All work done and the whole vehicle is covered VW warranty so I can take it and any future faults next time to a dealer of my choice. VW UK should write that to me and give me the service records.

2. As goodwill VW should extend the warranty to 5 years on the whole vehicle (they did offer a compensation but I did not decide to accept yet)

3. If an independent inspection finds the repair is not properly done this time, I’ll refer our problem to the motor ombudsman.

Any other or better advice how to react?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
The photos you've attached are pretty bloody alarming. Which dealer did this? Clearly one to avoid!

I really hope the latest repair is satisfactory and you can put this sorry saga behind you.

May be helpful
We have also used which legal services.

Hi all - just got our van back and they have improved the repair but I still think it is not right?

Strange gap

88609b7ebe3edfb9d1354f5f8df72724.jpg

Strange cut marks

4e02aa13aed0bca40835702ecf816a27.jpg

This deal is loose when you wiggle it. Sealant to grommet.

d3447b2d08fc258738be8928616e04dd.jpg

@vwguru and all - what should I do now?

Thanks for any help

I'd contact VW customer services and send them the pictures you've attached.

Any services provided by a garage are subject to the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982, meaning that when you take your van to be repaired or serviced, you are entering into a contract with them. Under this act, the garage is legally required to fix and maintain your van with “reasonable skill and care”.

Clearly that has not been the case in this instance.

I'd ask VW to refer this to a competent dealer and provide you with a replacement van whilst it is being repaired.

I'd be fuming if they handed my van back in that state!

Allegedly, and I am a bit sceptical, they ‘replaced the drainage tube’ but that did not solve it. Agree that it was the most likely though...

VW fitted my drainage tubes back to front so water was draining into the vehicle. They also bent my roof and damaged the hydraulics so I’d go with independent assessment.

Hi all - just got our van back and they have improved the repair but I still think it is not right?

Strange gap

88609b7ebe3edfb9d1354f5f8df72724.jpg

Strange cut marks

4e02aa13aed0bca40835702ecf816a27.jpg

This deal is loose when you wiggle it. Sealant to grommet.

d3447b2d08fc258738be8928616e04dd.jpg

@vwguru and all - what should I do now?

Thanks for any help

Hi it’s a better repair but still not of a standard I would accept. As other people have said I would talk to vw customer care and send them the pictures. If you are still not happy with the repair Ask for your Cali to be lifted and shifted to another dealer of your choice I think your original dealer has had more than enough time to get this right and leaving the cut marks on the roof front seal is still not acceptable. Also write an email and send the pictures to the dealers head of business and maybe there MD if you can get hold of them explaining your frustrations and the very very poor workmanship on your vehicle.

After an horrific repair carried out in Bristol. The only way we could get things moving was to contact HQ Germany with our grievances. Strange, but all of a sudden things were pushed on. August to January 17 for a bodged initial fix. Then Jan 19, 3 weeks by Claridges in Southport with an A1 fix of ALL our defects. So over 2 years before a resolution.
I’d go direct to Germany if you are getting no joy with VW Customer Care UK.

Back