Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help Isofix and Safelock

C

CazzaJ

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi folks
We just got our new campervan yesterday and am trying to get to grips with it. First up, I couldn't get the kids seats to go into the isofix. I've been using isofix seats for about 10 years in various different cars and have always managed to fiddle them in but I just can't get them into the ones in the Cali. Also feeling around, I can't even see how I'm going to get them in. Ended up just putting the seats in with the seat belts but ideally would like to use the isofix as its supposed to be better. Anyone got any experience of using the isofix?
Having given up on that, I then tried to start the engine and it wouldn't start. Thought I'd managed to run the battery flat by having something on that I didn't know about but then noticed it was saying 'check safelock see owners manual'. I noticed it said something about pressing the lock button twice in quick succession so I did this and got the engine started and I've had to do this each time since but I didn't have to do it yesterday - what's going on?

Safelock is German translation for deadlocks. Refers to the disconnection of the interior handles when locked. (Could prevent passengers from getting out if you lock them in)
You can remove the deadlock by pressing the lock button twice when arming the remote.
It shouldn't have any bearing on starting unless the key transponder is playing up.

Isofix is difficult to install in a T6. It was discussed many times in German forums. It was also reported to VW but they say it's state of technology! So keep on trying it will fit

The Isofix is a bugger first time clipping in. I opened the tailgate and guided the wee latches onto the stirrups the fist couple of installs, they are now much easier to install and can be achieved without having to go in through the tailgate. Persevere, you'll get there, enjoy your California.
Wullie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi folks
We just got our new campervan yesterday and am trying to get to grips with it. First up, I couldn't get the kids seats to go into the isofix. I've been using isofix seats for about 10 years in various different cars and have always managed to fiddle them in but I just can't get them into the ones in the Cali. Also feeling around, I can't even see how I'm going to get them in. Ended up just putting the seats in with the seat belts but ideally would like to use the isofix as its supposed to be better. Anyone got any experience of using the isofix?
Having given up on that, I then tried to start the engine and it wouldn't start. Thought I'd managed to run the battery flat by having something on that I didn't know about but then noticed it was saying 'check safelock see owners manual'. I noticed it said something about pressing the lock button twice in quick succession so I did this and got the engine started and I've had to do this each time since but I didn't have to do it yesterday - what's going on?
Remember the California rear seat is a bed as well and it is fairly firm upholstery.
Try moving the rear seat forward about a foot or so and then pull the back release and recline the seat a little. this opens up the gap between seat and seat back a little.
Safelock = Interior Deadlock. Has no bearing on engine start, or at least it shouldn't.

If you recline the seat slightly (as if converting to the bed) then the ISOFIX points should become more exposed and easy to connect the car seat to.

At least that's the case on our 3-seater. The 2-seater might be different.

If you recline the seat slightly (as if converting to the bed) then the ISOFIX points should become more exposed and easy to connect the car seat to.

At least that's the case on our 3-seater. The 2-seater might be different.

Works exactly like this on our Ocean 2 seat bench. You will need a car seat with quite long isofix clamps though or one without a base that's too 'deep' because it then becomes difficult to get the seat back to it's most upright position. Not a major problem for us as we rarely drive with a second rear passenger but worth considering.

We need a child car seat for our second car now and are actively considering a belted option rather than isofix (the Joie Every Stage). There are so few options that offer extended rear facing and ISOFIX but can be converted to be used beyond the age of four.

Thanks everyone for your help. I think the van not starting was just down to my lack of patience and being used to a petrol engine rather than a diesel. I've not had time to try the isofix yet in the daylight, just been using the seats with the seatbelts but as we still need to get 2 in and they don't have the extending arms we may struggle. It might be easier to try stretching my daughter ;), she's nearly tall enough to do without the seat then we'd just have 1 seat.
:thanks