Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help! New Cali won’t go in the garage

C

Chrisp

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Before deciding to buy, I got my neighbour to put his 10 year old Cali in my garage and it went in fairly easily. Picked up my new one today and it won’t go in!

What is the cause and what options do I have?

My van has 18” wheels and the dealer told me this doesn’t affect the height, is that right?

The problem is the awning, which is the highest part of the van. Is that higher on new vans than old?

Regardless of the cause, what options do I have to get it in?

I may be able to raise the opened garage door by up to an inch.

Lower suspension? May only gain an inch from this too?

Take the awning off perhaps as a temporary measure. How easy is this to get off?

Help please :)

Chris

You never used a mesure tape to check ?....not that clever ....your neighbours Cali could be lowerd.
A Cali fits under 2m always have (even with a factory fitted awning mounted) but the angle/elevation of the driveway could change height ...

You never used a mesure tape to check ?....not that clever ....your neighbours Cali could be lowerd.
A Cali fits under 2m always have (even with a factory fitted awning mounted) but the angle/elevation of the driveway could change height ...[/QUOTE

Yes the measured height is not A problem. But there is a slope up into the garage so it’s an angle thing.

The neighbour hasn’t had his lowered.

The awning adds very little to the height.
Chase two grooves into the garage slab?

H&R springs - 40mm drop (or VW Sportline springs - 30mm drop)

Cause could be that the neighbours Cali had 10 year old suspension springs which may have softened over time causing the vehicle to ride a bit lower than a new Cali.
How much do you think the springs would drop over that time ?
I´ve got a 38yr old t2 on original springs outside. I´ll just go and check
if its above ground.

How much do you think the springs would drop over that time ?
I´ve got a 38yr old t2 on original springs outside. I´ll just go and check
if its above ground.
Unless you measured it 38 years ago you would be wasting your time.

All springs sag with age.

Last edited:
Well it’s in! Combination of raising the garage door slightly and popping a heavy tent and passenger in the back got it in. I reckon the door can probably be raised some more too.

Thanks for the helpful and not so helpful suggestions.

1. Fitting smaller wheels won't make any difference as the circumference of all factory fitted wheel/tyre combinations should be more or less the same.

2. Lowering the suspension will help. You could even push the boat out and go for full air suspension which is adjustable but that's all I know about that.

3. Removing the awning is not that difficult but you won't want to do that every time you put it away so i'd rule that option out.

4. You could park it outside if you have the space. Most people do. They are designed and tested to live there entire life outside.

5. Alter the garage.

6. Swop your Cali with your neighbours.

Ok..

To the OP...

I'm glad you have got it in. At least now you have time and space to think of a long term solution. It must be heartbreaking to get it home and have this problem.

Mine does not see the inside of the garage. Firstly because I would need a week's full attention from a waste disposal company to even make room for it in my garage, secondly because I am in and out of it every day but mostly because I like it sat on the drive where I can gaze lovingly at it through the window ...

I hope you do find a long term solution.

Is it possible to adjust the position of the awning and slide it down a bit?

1. Rebuild the garage;
  2. Swap Cali with neighbour;
  3. Move house; or
  4. @WelshGas has a mate on another thread complaining of sagging, maybe you can swap Calis. :sorry

Well it’s in! Combination of raising the garage door slightly and popping a heavy tent and passenger in the back got it in. I reckon the door can probably be raised some more too.

Good you sorted it out , there wil always be answers on every Q asked here ...
....up to you to dicide if the answer is "useless" as you say above ....we just provide our vision on things.
So we wait for the next Q ...?

have you filled the van water tanks and all your camping gear in there yet? :)

There are different types of garage door. Single panel tilting type, sectional and roller type doors.
I had to change to the sectional type to increase the width of my garage entrance.
Ask for a couple of free quotes and explain you need a bit extra height from a local garage door company.
The new door may save you some money if you forget one day and have a bump.

You could also reduce the tyre pressure to get it in for storage and then pump them up once inside.

Last edited:

Are you going to use the same passenger to get it out again? If so, be sure to keep him/her well fed otherwise you might have a problem! :thumb

I had the same problem, albeit I knew before purchase. Decided to fit air suspension as in the end it wasn’t that much more expensive than raising the garage door lintel height with a new larger double garage door.

Added bonus of variable ride heights on demand and auto-level on sites.