Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help to identify my Westfalia California model

It's an issue with 2010/11 but also maybe later 180's and premature engine failure. Lots of topics on this over the years but an up to date one I started last week below:

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...used-cali-2011-t5-1-140-dsg-except-its.18243/

If you are looking at the Campersales one try and knock him down a bit - the one I nearly bought and *very* reluctantly turned down because of the potential issue was a minter, 61 plate 180 DSG, high spec, one owner, FVWSH, 30k miles and we shook hands at £31750 to include £1500 net of extras.

20arvol.jpg

Thanks Max, some interesting reading I was unaware of this issue. I can't see anyone dropping 8K just incase an engine gives up the ghost.

I assumed the 140 would be underpowered but maybe not.

I just don't know what to do

1, purchase a low cost van
2, increase budget to secure the red-i
3, finance a T5

Thanks Max, some interesting reading I was unaware of this issue. I can't see anyone dropping 8K just incase an engine gives up the ghost.

I assumed the 140 would be underpowered but maybe not.

I just don't know what to do

1, purchase a low cost van
2, increase budget to secure the red-i
3, finance a T5

Personally (I'm looking too at the moment) I would not rush into things and bide your time for the right van at the right price. But only you know your finances - I hate being in debt so always buy for cash as much as I can afford or justify.

As much as I love the T4 and converted one myself many moons ago, the youngest Westfalia is now nearly fifteen years old and whatever you do they rust (even if you cannot see it) and they are getting on a bit! Superb vans though and if you buy right then your money is safe.

But there are from time to time affordable T5's and having owned one for a short time that's where I'd be.

If it is not sold then the one listed on here last night (2008 174 4 Motion at £26k) is a killer deal and could be flipped super easy for a profit if you don't get on with it.

I'm like a stuck record on here lately about the crazy prices (see the Beach at £52k topic) but it is a fact that asking prices vary wildly just like the 180 DSG you quoted me on and you can find the same van give or take a few options at anything from 5 - 12 thousand pounds difference. So, eyes open and look everywhere and be prepared to act fast... :)

Personally (I'm looking too at the moment) I would not rush into things and bide your time for the right van at the right price. But only you know your finances - I hate being in debt so always buy for cash as much as I can afford or justify.

As much as I love the T4 and converted one myself many moons ago, the youngest Westfalia is now nearly fifteen years old and whatever you do they rust (even if you cannot see it) and they are getting on a bit! Superb vans though and if you buy right then your money is safe.

But there are from time to time affordable T5's and having owned one for a short time that's where I'd be.

If it is not sold then the one listed on here last night (2008 174 4 Motion at £26k) is a killer deal and could be flipped super easy for a profit if you don't get on with it.

I'm like a stuck record on here lately about the crazy prices (see the Beach at £52k topic) but it is a fact that asking prices vary wildly just like the 180 DSG you quoted me on and you can find the same van give or take a few options at anything from 5 - 12 thousand pounds difference. So, eyes open and look everywhere and be prepared to act fast... :)

My dilemma is quite simple, do I go for a retro cool T4 under 10K with loads of miles. I know they are like trains and go on and on! however I plan to take my 5 year old son abroad and don't fancy sitting on the hard shoulder waiting on recovery.

I really love the Red-i but in reality its only circa 10 - 15K more to get into a decent T5 California. Thats assuming I'd have no issues with it.

I work really long hours and my time with my family is precious, so I'm not planning to be tinkering with the van at the weekends.

My dilemma is quite simple, do I go for a retro cool T4 under 10K with loads of miles. I know they are like trains and go on and on! however I plan to take my 5 year old son abroad and don't fancy sitting on the hard shoulder waiting on recovery.

I really love the Red-i but in reality its only circa 10 - 15K more to get into a decent T5 California. Thats assuming I'd have no issues with it.

I work really long hours and my time with my family is precious, so I'm not planning to be tinkering with the van at the weekends.

Ok my input.
I here what Max is saying and "much respec" but, I was in the same boat for a long time. I love 5's and the way they look but, and it's a big BUT, for circa £25k you're buying a dog of a 5 but a minter 4.

Having owned a 4 for 5 years I know them and trust them.
Properly serviced you will literally need to empty the oil and water and drive them flat out for a week before they fail.
5's are just too fragile for my money.

That said with the Westy you're buying a niche vehicle. LHD isn't every punters cuppa. You can't argue with the 5's rock solid residuals.

I genuinely believe if a 5 owner drove a late T4 Westy 150 they'd be seriously surprised at how slick and quick they are.
I love my 4 and I sleep sound at night knowing it'll do me till I decide I'm done.
That said I paid top dollar and then spent £5k putting it right.
That applies to any vehicle you buy.
I'm anal about stuff not being the way it was when it rolled off the line.

So I don't envy your dilemma.
You could say vans are like dogs, no bad ones just bad owners.

Whatever you buy you'll have fun.
Try not to over think it. Just buy sensibly and you'll be fine.

If you're anywhere near Oxford then you're welcome to come and check out the Red i. I'll convert you ;)

I've owned two T4's now, my Dad owns my old one now. My original was an old builders van with a clocked motor and my current is a much more looked after Westy California. Both have over 300,000 km's on and both are absolutely solid cars mechanically. Both vans flew through their respective MOT's this year and neither have needed roadside assistance.

I have two young kids, 3 and 6, and in the last two years we've put over 30,000 kilometres on this van. This Easter I popped over to Britain with it and I've no qualms about undertaking 4,000km road trips every summer. It really is a solid van and as Sidepod says I would much more trust this than an early T5 that was being sold cheap.

I also wouldn't be so hung up about the 150 engine. They are good motors and I would definitely consider one, however, my 102 is as strong as an Ox as well. Fully loaded, with wife, two kids and a months worth of kit, the Van will cruise happily all day at 140kph, with a little bit more in reserve. At these speeds I can still see over 800km's to a tank of fuel, and about 3200 rpm, so not stressing the engine at all.

"Lemmy heeer ya saaay YEAH brother"

Actually I drove my old van at the weekend which has two bazillion miles more than the Milenium Falcon on the clock and I genuinely considered selling the 150 for a moment, it's that sweet.

Chris, if you're cruising at 140 then I need to stick my foot in a bit more!
FYI the 150 sits at 140/3000rpm.

I plan to look at the 150 but due to family commitments this weekend I can't get there. Knowing my luck it will be gone by next weekend.

I'm not usually this indecisive in my life, but I just want to make the right decision and get the best van I can get. It's all about quality time with my lad.

I wouldn't worry about the reliability of a late T4. Certainly vs a T5. (and I'm making that swap). I'd prefer the T4 on that front due to the lack of DPF, EGR etc that seem to plague T5s. T4 clutches are made of cheese but T5 flywheels seem similarly cheesy.
The main differences for me are in the drive (the T5 is more car like, the T4 more van like.....long gearstick, less sophisticated suspension), and in terms of bodywork, I understand T5s are galvanised and T4's aren't (although rumours say the last ones were). So in terms of everyday use, through the winter salt, a T5 may fare better.
Then you've got LHD T4 Westy's vs RHD VW T5's. I never had a problem with the LHD but a few passengers were reaching for a non existent brake pedal.
I'd buy Sidepod's Green T4 and give it a try. It will be worth the same or more next year and you can decide what to do then.

I wouldn't worry about the reliability of a late T4. Certainly vs a T5. (and I'm making that swap). I'd prefer the T4 on that front due to the lack of DPF, EGR etc that seem to plague T5s. T4 clutches are made of cheese but T5 flywheels seem similarly cheesy.
The main differences for me are in the drive (the T5 is more car like, the T4 more van like.....long gearstick, less sophisticated suspension), and in terms of bodywork, I understand T5s are galvanised and T4's aren't (although rumours say the last ones were). So in terms of everyday use, through the winter salt, a T5 may fare better.
Then you've got LHD T4 Westy's vs RHD VW T5's. I never had a problem with the LHD but a few passengers were reaching for a non existent brake pedal.
I'd buy Sidepod's Green T4 and give it a try. It will be worth the same or more next year and you can decide what to do then.

Open the bonnet and you'll find a big solid billet of Indestuctium with "F**k You graffiti'd across the top.

All good advice. I'd have to disagree young man on the drive. I'm amazed at the difference between my old van and the new. It's just like driving a Golf compared to the old one.

I'm excited for Fred, I know what lies ahead :pinkbanana

[QUOTE="Chris, if you're cruising at 140 then I need to stick my foot in a bit more!
FYI the 150 sits at 140/3000rpm.[/QUOTE]
Thats German Autobahns for you! To be fair that is an indicated 140, so I'm not sure what that is in real terms. I even got it up to 155 at one point when I wasn't paying quite enough attention and probably surprised the Audi driver trying to overtake me, I try not to make too much of a habit of it. Funny, when I was back on the island this Easter, 120kph felt like I was crawling along.

Back