Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help with power sockets

Claire

Claire

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Please can someone tell me what I can and cannot plug into the power socket which runs off the leisure battery? Can I charge my phone? Can I use a hairdryer? Straighteners? Yours female Cali owner

It say's 150w on the two pin socket.
On leisure batts just charge phone ,etc... NO heavy power tools!
On hook up use the three pin socket for things like water boiler , hair dryer , etc...

It say's 150w on the two pin socket.
On leisure batts just charge phone ,etc... NO heavy power tools!
On hook up use the three pin socket for things like water boiler , hair dryer , etc...
Thanks very much! I did try once to charge my iPhone using the 3 pin socket (on hook-up) and blew the fuse in the lights which is why I've not tried again.

Thanks very much! I did try once to charge my iPhone using the 3 pin socket (on hook-up) and blew the fuse in the lights which is why I've not tried again.
Strange that should be no problem , the three pin is usefull for everything ...if on hook up.

If you get the correct Adapter plug for the Inverter socket then you can plug in your Mains charger for your laptop, iPad, Phone etc: without resorting to a 12v charger, BUT DO NOT plug in any mains appliance greater than 150 watts power consumption.
So, NO kettle, hairdryer or straighteners.

Adapter here.
http://+++++++++++++++++++++++/product.php?prod=253

Might be able to get it cheaper elsewhere.

Hi Claire

Hairdryer works well with 230v socket on mains hook-up depending on the ampage supplied. Most CC sites are 16A so a 2kw hair dryer is fine. In France on 6A hook-ups my 1200W hair dryer makes it - just. My DHG straighteners are 150W but 240V so can be used either with the inverter two pin whether or not on hook-up or the three pin socket when on hook up. I always use the three pin socket. Also worthy of note is that a lot of places that have hook-ups may also have toilets - shower rooms that will have a spare plug socket somewhere just for those appliances.

Slow cookers fine with three pin on hook up. Portable electric ovens, most are 800W so ok.

Charging laptops etc I have 12v chargers for everything. The 12V socket by the sink has a double USB adaptor fitted which is where I charge my I Phone and MiFi. The ashtray socket also has a double USB and that charges my I Pad and/or phone, I Pad Mini or whatever. The 12V by the bench seat - side door I use with my 12v laptop charger ( Apple macbook air) which I plonk in the rear seat pocket when travelling so it can be connected and charging whilst on the move.

The inverter socket I use almost exclusively for my Bose soundlnk. I have a 2 pin to uk three pin adaptor.

The rear 12v in the boot is what I use to power my 12v slow cooker when on the move. Nothing like a nice stew gurgling away in the boot whilst travelling!

Last edited:
Hi Claire

Hairdryer works well with 230v socket on mains hook-up depending on the ampage supplied. Most CC sites are 16A so a 2kw hair dryer is fine. In France on 6A hook-ups my 1200W hair dryer makes it - just. My DHG straighteners are 150W but 240V so can be used either with the inverter two pin whether or not on hook-up or the three pin socket when on hook up. I always use the three pin socket. Also worthy of note is that a lot of places that have hook-ups may also have toilets - shower rooms that will have a spare plug socket somewhere just for those appliances.

Slow cookers fine with three pin on hook up. Portable electric ovens, most are 800W so ok.

Charging laptops etc I have 12v chargers for everything. The 12V socket by the sink has a double USB adaptor fitted which is where I charge my I Phone and MiFi. The ashtray socket also has a double USB and that charges my I Pad and/or phone, I Pad Mini or whatever. The 12V by the bench seat - side door I use with my 12v laptop charger ( Apple macbook air) which I plonk in the rear seat pocket when travelling so it can be connected and charging whilst on the move.

The inverter socket I use almost exclusively for my Bose soundlnk. I have a 2 pin to uk three pin adaptor.

The rear 12v in the boot is what I use to power my 12v slow cooker when on the move. Nothing like a nice stew gurgling away in the boot whilst travelling!

Hi Jen,

My wife’s just asked me if she can use her GHDs in a Beach? Is the beach a totally different ball-game when it comes to what can be powered? I’ve found a few nice sites in France but they are either 6A or 10A sites? If a fridge was unplugged, do you think she could use her GHDs without any issue? Thanks, Martin

Hi Jen,

My wife’s just asked me if she can use her GHDs in a Beach? Is the beach a totally different ball-game when it comes to what can be powered? I’ve found a few nice sites in France but they are either 6A or 10A sites? If a fridge was unplugged, do you think she could use her GHDs without any issue? Thanks, Martin

I assume you mean straighteners and not hair dryers but:

I've just looked at mine and the rating plate says 150W so there should be no problem whatsoever.

I normally let my hair air dry on holiday but it falls pretty straight so I'm lucky :)

Hi Jen,

Don't forget you could probably plug these in somewhere near the sinks etc in the shower/washrooms.

Thanks both - I also thought the same about there being sockets in the shower block.

How do you get on with your hairdryer Jen when plugged in to the site, and again, is it different in the Ocean compared to the Beaxh do you know?

Thanks both - I also thought the same about there being sockets in the shower block.

How do you get on with your hairdryer Jen when plugged in to the site, and again, is it different in the Ocean compared to the Beaxh do you know?

Current is current regardless of which vehicle it's being fed into.

I rarely use a hair dryer but when I do I have a 1.5kw travel dryer that pulls over 6a (1500/240) so entirely dependent on the amperes supplied. 10A or 16A is fine, 8A make sure nothing else is connected, 6A and be prepared not to be flavour of the month with fellow campers as the lints go out :)

One small point about using the 2 pin inverter socket. This is powered from the leisure batteries and converts 12vDC to 230vAC.

When not on hook-up, but using an adapter in the 2 pin socket, don't leave adapter in the 2 pin socket. The inverter will remain on and drain the leisure batteries if you do.

Not a problem if on hook-up or driving though, when the charger or engine alternator will top up the leisure batteries and compensate for the inverter's current drain. None-the-less removing the adapter is a good habit to get into.

I always check the power supply current rating of the hook-up pillar. In the UK it is usually easy to see the current rating of the breaker under the plastic cover. Not so easy abroad as these systems often have breakers remotely located
Alan

Last edited:

No difference for electrics in Ocean or Beach both have leisure batteries as well as vehicle battery - however the Ocean's have an additional battery in the rear beneath the cupboard.

No difference for electrics in Ocean or Beach both have leisure batteries as well as vehicle battery - however the Ocean's have an additional battery in the rear beneath the cupboard.

Thanks, does that give Ocean owners double the power or double the amount of time off grid?

Thanks, does that give Ocean owners double the power or double the amount of time off grid?
Longer off grid is possible. Depends if the Beach has a similar sized/type of fridge . Basically the Ocean will have 2 x as many amp hours available as a Beach, in standard form.
You could fit 2nd Leisure Battery in a Beach.

Judging by some of your questions I wonder if you are prepared to make any of the adjustments/compromises required using a Campervan/Motorhome, whether it be a Beach, Ocean or a large Motorhome.
Beach, running a fridge, lights at night and recharging phone - 2/3 days off grid.
Ocean doing the same 5 + days.
That's with No electric kettle/toaster/hair dryer etc.
On a Continental site with 6amp supply, all the above for as long as you want BUT you will have to use low wattage versions of a kettle/toaster/hair dryer, or alternatives. Remember that 6amp supply reduces to 4amps when you plug the vehicle in due to the built in Mains Battery Charger.