Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

High Mileage Concerns

SheffieldSteel

SheffieldSteel

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
hi all,
id like to get peoples feedback on high mileage Cali's. Last year I bought a new Cali and took a year out to do some travelling. I have a T6 which is 22 months old which has now done over 50,000km. When I first bought the Cali i never even thought I would do so many km..but once you get the travelling bug its hard to stop..
In fact I am well over the lease allowance so I have no option to buy it outright after next year or pay a huge penalty.

Is there a cut off point in terms of mileage that people are willing to buy or is mileage less of a problem these days with new vehicles. Last thing I want to do is to park it up because of the thought of not being able to sell it when the time comes. It will be interesting to hear opinions on this.

cheers

Shane

Use it or lose it. These are commercial vehicles, designed for high millage if properly looked after. I would have more concern, personally, with a very low milage vehicle than one that has been used as it should.
I've just passed 61,000 miles ( 97,600 Km ) in 3 years.

I would be far more concerned at low mileage. I would be very wary of buying any vehicle these days where the mileage suggests it was only used at weekends with a guaranteed warm Sunday or was only used for popping out to the shops.

15k miles per year is quite respectable. Mine in normal years I would expect to do around 14k and in no way would I consider that to be excessive.

It is about the same as I do (15k miles a year) I use it rather than have it on show in the drive.

25,074 miles / 40,118 KM in first 10x Months....

At an estimated <30,000 miles per year, after 10x years I'll be looking to replace. These vans are build for high-mileage..... 300,000 miles should be no-problem. And a California's miles, are easy miles.... As not much of a load onboard (especially not in my Beach.)

Depreciation value is obviously affected, as buyers seek out low-mileage examples.... Not a problem, if not planning to sell every 3-5 years tho.

More importantly, 104x overnights in the Hotel California during this time.... So, it's paying for itself, and it's depreciation anyway!!

Last edited:
In a T5? Wow :Nailbiting

Miles aren't everything..... Age comes into it also.... I won't be nervous in my T6, whilst it is less than 10x years old, is well serviced and in regular use..... Probably mostly motorway miles, unloaded. 300,000 miles shouldn't be an issue.... It won't owe me much after 10x years, 300K.

Would say the same applies for the T5. Both built for regular use tho, something which Californias don't always get.

I would say it's not just mileage but also the type of journeys made that could affect its longevity. I only manage about 5-6K a year as it is our 3rd vehicle and used weekend trips and holidays, however it is not trundling to the shops every 5 minutes getting "coked up", most days out are over 100 miles and holidays 400-2200 miles.

Mine is born in 05 and has done 150k km so around 12.5k km a year. I bought it with 94k km in 2015 so drove myself about 20k km. Serviced as told by the computer and happy with it.

Use it or lose it. These are commercial vehicles, designed for high millage if properly looked after. I would have more concern, personally, with a very low milage vehicle than one that has been used as it should.
I've just passed 61,000 miles ( 97,600 Km ) in 3 years.

You have purchased it to use. Carry on and keep going, if something breaks fix it.
Don’t worry what it will be worth tomorrow, as the experience of using today is in some sense priceless.

Last edited:
I think the OPs question is more about resell - and whilst I completely agree with all the higher-milers above that "it's a van" and it's designed to be used - I think there a lot of used buyers who may be put off somewhat by perceived 'higher mileage' & it will have some effect on resell price.

From what I've read here, and certainly by comparison to other Transporter forums, many Cali owners can be very conservative in their outlook.

Fortunately, whilst demand continues to outstrip supply, there's always going to be someone trying to stretch their budget - it'll always sell in the end.

Back