Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

High or low mileage??

Padraic

Padraic

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi everyone, as my search for a T4 California freestyle continues, I'd like to get peoples opinions buying a cali with high mileage or should I wait for a low mileage example?

Hi everyone, as my search for a T4 California freestyle continues, I'd like to get peoples opinions buying a cali with high mileage or should I wait for a low mileage example?
Have you seen the Freestyle just gone on sale in the forum for sale section?

Last edited:
Don't know what you expect to be low mileage on a verhicle they took out of production about what ....at least 10y ago?
Don't think you find many low milage and the counter only goes up in years time i should think.

The fact it has many miles means it has been used witch is good instead parked up all year .

Don't know what you expect to be low mileage on a verhicle they took out of production about what ....at least 10y ago?
Don't think you find many low milage and the counter only goes up in years time i should think.

The fact it has many miles means it has been used witch is good instead parked up all year .
Hi all, yes I understand that these vehicles were sold in 2003 and by their nature will cover a lot of mileage. I'm just wondering should I look for one with as low of mileage as possible or is a cali with 200,000 KM still going to be a good investment?

I have zero personal experience with T4s but just have a look on the T4 forum and you'll find loads of people with vans that have done 300k+ miles, without any biggies apart from the inevitables eg water pump, clutch changes. This is a commercial vehicle, designed for high mileages.

On any high mileage buy however you must have a good service history and, especially, proper evidence of the most recent cam belt change (or else budget to get it changed as soon as you get the van).

Most important is the history. You may be lucky enough to find a fully maintained one or two owner example.
As hotelcalifornia says low mileage could have been stood for years with deteriorating brake parts, suspension etc etc.
Condition is all. It could have hundreds of thousands clocked but had a new engine-transmission-suspension fitted over recent years.

Beware of fresh gleaming shiny paintwork unless a photo record of before work started is available.

Good luck.

I'd be far more concerned about rot (or lack of it) than low miles. I'd also be finding one that drives 'right' and feels sorted. Then it's a case of using it and enjoying it

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Mileage don't kill t4s mechanics and owners do.Check everything yourself don't trust anyone it's a minefield.look for recent paint anywhere check vin number on all plates.Well mantained with only 200000km t4 should still work like new.Download manual test everything you can on the back.

My 98 T4 has 335,000km on the clock and drives fantastic. It's just sailed through it's Tüv with no issues and the emissions test showed that it was right in the middle of all the values. It uses no oil at all between services and beyond a scheduled water pump/cambelt change it's not needed any engine work aside from standard servicing during the 35,000km's that I've driven it.

As mentioned though, rust is the big killer and this may be what finally kills this lovely bus. I'm currently assessing the state of it at the moment and trying to work out the best way forward, so that we can keep it going for the foreseeable future.

Agreed Chris, my last van had similar.

T4's motors are not flimsy T5 disposable unit. They are indestructible.
As said, body is more important.

Take a look at the Freestyle on the For Sale section.
I drove it. It's a good un.

I got almost 300,000 miles out of a petrol Mazda before some a*** drove into the back of it. Simple engines should have no problem with 200,000+ miles. But I wonder if we'll do so well with our modern highly tuned units?

We bought our T4 Westy with c.240,000km on it, had the diesel pump reconditioned by Diesel Bob (as well as new injectors), and it transformed the engine completely. Sold it three years later for more than we paid including the engine work.

As above, worry about the body and the interior fittings before concerning yourself with anything mechanical.

There are T4 in Eastern Europe with mileages over 1m km ... i was always looking for one with more than 300kkm and never ever had problems with it. So mileage is last thing I would consider. Much more important was "service culture" of previous owner..

Hi all, thanks very much for the opinions and advice so far. I think that everyone is correct, buy based on condition of the Cali not on the mileage. Ill just have to wait for a one owner Cali freestyle with full VW service history and rust free. Not a big ask.!!!!!!

Indeed they do. All of the running gear on the 150 is VR6. Longer 5th gear too I think?

You can get the 102 up to 150 but it takes a bit of work and components, injectors, intercooler etc.

Indeed they do. All of the running gear on the 150 is VR6. Longer 5th gear too I think?

You can get the 102 up to 150 but it takes a bit of work and components, injectors, intercooler etc.
I'd prefer not to have to mess around with one if possible, so it's a 150hp one for me, the VR6 running gear is also a great addition.

150 have other gearbox as well... 3000rpm@140kmh, 10l/100km (sry, you have to recalc)