Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Higher suspension worth it?

Sp0_0k

Sp0_0k

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
T6 has an option of tougher suspension. (something around 200-300 euros) All it says it is 20mm higher and is better for offroad use and heavier loads. How will it compromise driving on regular roads?

Like the T4 Synchro I presume.

I doubt if it would be any worse than the standard suspension.

I can't fault the standard suspension. It rides comfortably and corners really well on 17's.

After years of driving firm sport car models, I'm really happy with the standard set up on the Cali :).

My opinion anyway. I don't think I'd like to have it any higher though.

T6 has an option of tougher suspension. (something around 200-300 euros) All it says it is 20mm higher and is better for offroad use and heavier loads. How will it compromise driving on regular roads?
Reckon it might compromise regular car parks tho

Turns out by that tough suspension they mean those anti roll bars or something.
Are they worth it?

Turns out by that tough suspension they mean those anti roll bars or something.
Are they worth it?
Yes.. Free handling upgrade. When I say free I mean without compromising ride quality.

It ha e this suspension on t5 and I really like this. Higher is great for off-road. And no problem high speed driving on the regular road. I will order this suspension on t6. For me must to have option.

I've asked for this option too & there's no mention of +20mm gain (in the UK spec brochure.) I'd be happy if it does though. The more utilitarian, the better (for me anyway) :)

Last edited:
Yes.. Free handling upgrade. When I say free I mean without compromising ride quality.
Free?
£198... With standard suspension and shockers (according to UK options pricelist)
Are they still worth it? What exactly do they achieve?
Considering adding these to my order.

Well worth it. They reduce body roll during cornering without adding any straight line stiffness. No brainier.

Free?
£198... With standard suspension and shockers (according to UK options pricelist)
Are they still worth it? What exactly do they achieve?
Considering adding these to my order.

Less body roll on a twisty road without making the suspension any firmer.

Thanks Sidepod & Dan. I hope it's not too late to add them...

For California there is no option for multivan suspension (the one that i have in my T5):

Federung und Dämpfung, verstärkt (die Fahrzeughöhe kann in Abhängigkeit vom Modell um bis zu 20 mm zunehmen)
– nicht bei langem Radstand TDI 4MOTION Doppelkupplungsgetriebe DSG
– serienmäßig bei Multivan PanAmericana

But there is new option YEQ, that is seikel desert suspension. More http://www.seikel.de/produkt-kategorie/volkswagen-t6/

So i order this but not from vw but directly from seikel. cca 1600€ cheaper.

VW also offer the "Raised vehicle body, 30mm". It's appears to be the Seikel 30mm lift kit, fitted pre delivery.
Look here; http://www.volkswagen-commercial-ve...0.file/web_pdf_ca_katalog_kw22_18_05_2016.pdf

page 34 of 36. (or page 65)

04 Raised vehicle body.
By increasing the ground clearance by 30 mm, the risk of scraping the vehicle is
reduced and the vehicle is even more suitable for off-road driving. The higher vehicle body includes new springs
and shock absorbers, complemented by wheel alignment for fine tuning.*
Available on BE, CO ,OC

We mail ordered our Seikel kit and the local dealer fitted it to our 2008 Cali 4motion. It's great for our use,esp on rocky ski field access roads and getting into and out of tricky camp spots.

The Same with me. When my beach arrive I will order kit directly from seikel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might be going for Seikel's +50mm, not air one for reliability.

No problems with VB air suspension. We have had ours on for about eighteen months without any trouble. I had the same concerns and asked the guy who fitted it what problems he has had on T5s, (he has fitted it on literally hundreds) and he said only one client had consistent problems. After changing three air bags under warranty he took the van down to the local weighbridge. Turns out it was well over the limit. About 4.25t. The customer was a plant engineer and had the van loaded down with welders etc and regularly went over rough ground.

VB air has same no warranty issues?
Can't find the Seikel's air suspension prices.

VB air suspension is VW aproved so will not affect warranty.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Well it depends.
Even with Seikel springs my local dealer was stating they might void the warranty if it wasn't installed on authorized local VW service.
I've got local national 2 years extra warranty so have do as they say.
Might just deal with those toys after the warranty )

I replaced rear air suspension on my bmw 520d touring, very easy job.
To me air suspension has many advantages on a cali, self levelling on campsites, ability to access parking garages, ride over rough terrain.
I will look it up in a few years.

Seikel kit is sold with a certificate of no objection from VW which means that they will not affect the VW warranty but the seikel kit itself is excluded from VW warranty (Covered by seikel in any case).

I know because I called them a month back to make enquiries on a UK fitter.

Back