Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hill hold assist

J

Jandy61

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Hill hold assist, is this the same as hill start assist.?
I’m assuming hill hold is fitted standard, and holds the van on the hill for a second while you or dsg engage gear.
Just iv seen a few people have it in their options order list on new vans, is it two types of system?

Hill hold assist, is this the same as hill start assist.?
I’m assuming hill hold is fitted standard, and holds the van on the hill for a second while you or dsg engage gear.
Just iv seen a few people have it in their options order list on new vans, is it two types of system?
Hill Hold Assist is standard.

Hill Descent is an Option on the 4 Motion .

Maybe that’s the answer then , people are putting hill hold assist, instead of down hill assist. Glad iv put that one to bed.
Checked on the configurator and can see where the confusion can come from ->

Hill start assist --- Standard

Hill start assist/descent control -- optional £120

What is hill start assist? You don't need to use the handbrake when starting on a hill?
You'll need some nerve for that, but perhaps it works well?

Last edited:
Stops any rolling back for the period when the brake pedal is released and actual forward mechanical engagement takes over.
More critical with a DSG as it's all a right foot operation.

I have 4M and I suppose I must have this 'hill start' thing. Not sure it is very good. Certainly did not seem to work in reverse while I was doing a 3 point turn on a hill !!!

I have 4M and I suppose I must have this 'hill start' thing. Not sure it is very good. Certainly did not seem to work in reverse while I was doing a 3 point turn on a hill !!!
Linked to brake pedal - more pressure gives longer time delay.
Personally found handbrake with no Hill hold action easier and importantly less worrying about loosing control.

OK. I will have to check this out when they clear all the snow off the roads here (been snowing all day now about 40cm deep!). Also will see if it works in reverse too... It could be that in forwards I never noticed it before as I usually switch pedals pretty fast to avoid rolling back!!!

Back