Hold on to your wallets! T6 Camper £73.6k

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Perhaps an indication of what may be down the road with exchange rates taking their toll..............
westyprice.PNG
(At VW Campersales)

First Marmite, then MacBooks, now campervans. Definitely not a time to dither over your order!

Utter bonkers...!!!
We have thought long and hard over the last few months about changing into a newer van because resale value is strong at the moment. But the hefty cost is putting us well off. I don't see what we would gain in terms of the van itself. The only thing missing on our current van is Climate-control. We only have AC. Other than that, ours is specced with everything we want.

The T6 isnt enough of an evolution to change into and hence I think we will hold fire.

Rumours are the next price increase could be as much as 7% so anyone thinking of buying a Cali should do so ASAP, this coupled with the new tax next year an average Cali could end up costing £4,000+ more that it is now.

GBP is down 15.4% since june 23rd and has a long way to fall. Apple has raised prices of new products by around 40% based on currency forecasts for the next 3 years of £1 = $1. So If price increases for VWs are only 7% I'd be very surprised, I've already put my money on a 25% increase :/

I could not afford to replace ours today £44k in 2012 t5se 180dsg. aiming to replace with mobility scooter

euro.PNG
The graph. A strong pound didn't seem to stop them raising their prices by (coughs....) quite a bit!

Last edited:
Good for secondhand prices, but overall of course as new vehicle sales numbers fall then VW will have to reassess their pricing strategy. Same with Apple. The UK has always been seen as a milk cow by Apple but there will come a point when they too will have to reassess their pricing strategy if they wish to keep market share, otherwise Microsoft and Google will step in with their Windows and Android devices and software.

>otherwise Microsoft and Google will step in with their Windows and Android devices and software

Why? The pound has just slumped against the dollar and the euro ... dream on. We, the UK, are going to get a right royal monetary shafting of our own making. Careful for what you wish for ...

Microsoft also just put their prices up by up to 22%, but sure, we can pretend that the innocent British consumer is the victim!
of course as new vehicle sales numbers fall then VW will have to reassess their pricing strategy.
Quite an arrogant point of view IMO. The UK is a smallish market with increasingly poor margins for European manufacturers, especially vehicles that have to be especially designed for RHD. As the UK population has chosen to make foreign products much more expensive (by way of self imposed currency devaluation as well as potentially introducing tariffs and additional standards) would it be any surprise if VW simply didn't bother with a RHD T7 Cali?

Good for secondhand prices, but overall of course as new vehicle sales numbers fall then VW will have to reassess their pricing strategy.

They might have to, but they could be in a difficult position. Comparing the pricing on the UK and Germany California configurators today, a 204 DSG 4Motion with no other options is £55,790 in the UK and €71,893 in Germany. In June, £55,790 would have been around €72,500, so perhaps covers the additional UK based expenses. Today, £55,790 is only worth €61,965. VW would have made €10,000 more if they prioritised EU sales.

Looking at this from the other side, whilst the UK remains in the EU, German citizens are entitled to place orders with UK dealers for LHD vehicles and personally export them back to Germany. If the pound continues to slide to 1=1, VW will have to raise it's prices considerable to protect it's German dealer network.

Looking at this from the other side, whilst the UK remains in the EU, German citizens are entitled to place orders with UK dealers for LHD vehicles and personally export them back to Germany. If the pound continues to slide to 1=1, VW will have to raise it's prices considerable to protect it's German dealer network.

This has been the case in Denmark for many years. Due to our high tax on cars 150% (just came down from 180%), the cars are keep cheeper. Therefore i.e. germans stand for a huge amount of export (re-import). In fact most of the recerved VW California for 2016 where sold back to Germany, so that the total reservation was sold out in february 2016.

BTW: The 204 DSG 4Motion with no other options is € 91,600 in Denmark … stop whining :Grin

Just to keep you all updated. There will be a price increase on the 1st December. All Volkswagen Commercial (yes that includes California) models will be subject to a 3% price increase. All options on models will be subject to an average of a 3.5% price increase too. For example, the current California Ocean 2.0L 204ps DSG total on the road price is £53,005. That will increase to £54,571 on the 1st December. Please bear this in mind when you are dealing with your respective dealers over this next month. As they say, get them while they're cheap!!

This has been the case in Denmark for many years. Due to our high tax on cars 150% (just came down from 180%), the cars are keep cheeper. Therefore i.e. germans stand for a huge amount of export (re-import). In fact most of the recerved VW California for 2016 where sold back to Germany, so that the total reservation was sold out in february 2016.

BTW: The 204 DSG 4Motion with no other options is € 91,600 in Denmark … stop whining :Grin

Good grief!

Thats £86,000 (Carney Pounds), £120,000 (Osborne pounds) or £40,000 + a free Nissan (BoJo pounds) :shocked

Last edited:
Glad I placed my order last week, there will no doubt be more pricing reviews in due course as our country struggles with a weak pound due to lack of proper direction after Brexit. Great news if your exporting but importing anything into this country will come at a cost which will be passed on to us 'the customers'.

The intention of the thread was to draw attention to the ever increasing costs of Cali's and their competitors which have risen year on year irrespective of the exchange rate. I feel guilty that I've not used my van in a month. Not sure how I'd feel if I had £74k sitting on the drive.

Utter bonkers...!!!
We have thought long and hard over the last few months about changing into a newer van because resale value is strong at the moment. But the hefty cost is putting us well off. I don't see what we would gain in terms of the van itself. The only thing missing on our current van is Climate-control. We only have AC. Other than that, ours is specced with everything we want.

The T6 isnt enough of an evolution to change into and hence I think we will hold fire.
Agree, we were thinking of changing also - with all the issues surrounding this vehicle like, roof corrosion, engine problems etc... And VW's resitscent stance to repairs; and now the excessively elevated cost It's not a step I will be taking. I paid £41.5k back in 2011. My vehicle now would cost close to £50k = almost 25% increase as compared to 5 yrs ago. I am lucky enough to be able to afford to buy a new vehicle now, but choose not to for the reasons above...

It is another magic world ;) Fighting for ecology they said. With tons of cheap old Euro1 cars cruising around. Most can't afford new euro6 ones :D

Well, I think Norway, which is outside of eu has the record.
They dont offer the California, but the Multivan Highline 204 DSG 4motion (caravelle in the uk) is a whopping 105000€. It is double the price in Sweden.

Well, I think Norway, which is outside of eu has the record.
They dont offer the California, but the Multivan Highline 204 DSG 4motion (caravelle in the uk) is a whopping 105000€. It is double the price in Sweden.

Denmark is stil the sad records holder.

You can not compare the Mulitvan and California. The Multivan is more expensive than the California. The model you are using as an example hits 113.600 € in DK … with no extras at all ;-)

And the Mulitvan and Caravelle is also two differend models, that is not comparable. The Caravelle cost "only" 110.600 € here.

The van called Multivan in germany, denmark sweden etc is called Caravelle in the uk.

In Sweden you can buy a Multivan for 33000€, the cheapest California you can get is 54000€ and lacks some equipment that you get in the Multivan.
The Multivan for 33000€ comes standard with the following:
150PS TSI
7 seats
Trailer hitch
LED
Integrated child seat
Light package
Auto rear hatch
Etc etc.
To my eye the California Beach is more or less a Multivan with elevating roof, if you get the comfort instrument panel. It is also much more expensive.

Back