Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hook up cable

GregW

GregW

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi, I'm a new Cali SE owner, just finding my way way around my van, and really excited about the prospect of my first trip.

I want to purchase a hook up cable that I can use at home and when on a camping site (I have an external 3 pin socket), can any one confirm that this is a suitable cable?

Silverline 981201 16A Extension Lead 14M 1.5mm With 818738 Caravan Hook Up Adaptor Kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01D8KQQN8/?tag=eliteelect-21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, I'm a new Cali SE owner, just finding my way way around my van, and really excited about the prospect of my first trip.

I want to purchase a hook up cable that I can use at home and when on a camping site (I have an external 3 pin socket), can any one confirm that this is a suitable cable?

Silverline 981201 16A Extension Lead 14M 1.5mm With 818738 Caravan Hook Up Adaptor Kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01D8KQQN8/?tag=eliteelect-21

Yes that will work both on site and at home. But it might be a bit short for some sites. Typically they are 25m long.

Yes that will work both on site and at home. But it might be a bit short for some sites. Typically they are 25m long.

Well that's useful to know. I'm a complete novice

That will do fine for the majority of campsites. Sometimes you might need upto 25 metres . Many owners get 2 cables 15 + 10 m which you just plug together + the adapter.

It's a good choice, always go 'arctic blue' rather than the orange HD cable which is a real fag to coil up and store. IMHO 1.5 amp cable is fine you don't need thicker for a hook up - it's rated for 16 amps anyway.

The most current greedy thing like a small fan heater (1200w) only draws 5 amps. You'll be lucky to get more than 5 amps available on many sites.

Thicker cable again is just more bulky and less user friendly. Necessary on a huge caravan or motorhome running a domestic full size cooker and lots of other HD stuff maybe but overkill on a Cali. ;)

I would say go for longer as well

I’d go for a 10metre and 15 Metre in the arctic blue.

Most sites and certainly when on hard standing will only need the 10 metre but you will need longer in occasions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

always go 'arctic blue' rather than the orange HD cable
Arctic cable is available in orange as well as blue and is preferable for visibility on grass etc.
Not all blue cable is arctic grade and not all orange cable is hd flex.

I want to purchase a hook up cable that I can use at home and when on a camping site (I h5ave an external 3 pin socket), can any one confirm that this is a suitable cable?

This is where I go:

https://www.toughleads.co.uk/collec...oducts/16a-230v-industrial-plug-to-16a-socket

These are made from H07RN cable, which is rubber cable, designed for tough environments like power leads in workshops. It is far more flexible than arctic cable, and very easy to coil. Arctic cable is PVC and, unless you are prepared to pay £££ I've never found that it lives up to its name. The only possible problem with H07RN is that it is black, and therefore less visible.

For anyone who needs some extra bedtime reading, this page and this article talk about arctic cable and why it's generally nowhere near as good as H07RN. (TL;DR real arctic cable is designed for 110V to BS 7919 for use down to -25C, most blue arctic cable is BS6500, designed for use down to +5C).

Although I use 2.5mm cables, I'm pretty sure that 1.5mm is fine in any normal camping environment. You are very unlikely to find a campsite supply that is greater than 10A and most are 6A. When you use your cable at home, the 13A fuse in your plug should protect most 1.5mm cable which should be rated above 15A. I think that the main issue with the lighter cables is that they just aren't as tough.

Last thing, it's most useful to have a couple of cables with IEC 16A (commando) connectors at each end, and then a bunch of short (18") adapters like Commando socket to 13A plug, Commando socket to Schuko plug, Commando plug to 13A socket, etc.

Ok.
Where do you store your hook-up cable. Mines on a reel in the boot.
Wonder has anyone found space elsewhere...?

Ok.
We have the round waterproof nylon bag from the club shop, fits nicely in there. Usually goes on top of a box in the boot as it is one of the first things we do on site.

This is where I go:

https://www.toughleads.co.uk/collec...oducts/16a-230v-industrial-plug-to-16a-socket

These are made from H07RN cable, which is rubber cable, designed for tough environments like power leads in workshops. It is far more flexible than arctic cable, and very easy to coil. Arctic cable is PVC and, unless you are prepared to pay £££ I've never found that it lives up to its name. The only possible problem with H07RN is that it is black, and therefore less visible.

For anyone who needs some extra bedtime reading, this page and this article talk about arctic cable and why it's generally nowhere near as good as H07RN. (TL;DR real arctic cable is designed for 110V to BS 7919 for use down to -25C, most blue arctic cable is BS6500, designed for use down to +5C).

Although I use 2.5mm cables, I'm pretty sure that 1.5mm is fine in any normal camping environment. You are very unlikely to find a campsite supply that is greater than 10A and most are 6A. When you use your cable at home, the 13A fuse in your plug should protect most 1.5mm cable which should be rated above 15A. I think that the main issue with the lighter cables is that they just aren't as tough.

Last thing, it's most useful to have a couple of cables with IEC 16A (commando) connectors at each end, and then a bunch of short (18") adapters like Commando socket to 13A plug, Commando socket to Schuko plug, Commando plug to 13A socket, etc.

Fantastic advice. Thanks to all!

If you are planning trips into France / Europe generally and wish to use the more basic sites you may well need two 25metre cables, not only the basic ones either.
I also carry a three way 16A adaptor as there is often a shortage of outlets and 'sharing' is necessary. Sharing seems to be frowned upon in the UK but is quite acceptable in France.
Reversed polarity outlets are frequently encountered so a short special reversing 16A link is desirable often home made.
Local type EHU outlets are still encountered in all countries of Europe so be prepared to buy or make short adaptor cables, local to 16A.

Rod

If you are planning trips into France / Europe generally and wish to use the more basic sites you may well need two 25metre cables, not only the basic ones either.
I also carry a three way 16A adaptor as there is often a shortage of outlets and 'sharing' is necessary. Sharing seems to be frowned upon in the UK but is quite acceptable in France.
Reversed polarity outlets are frequently encountered so a short special reversing 16A link is desirable often home made.
Local type EHU outlets are still encountered in all countries of Europe so be prepared to buy or make short adaptor cables, local to 16A.

Rod

Great advice. Most appreciated. The possibility of needing to share had not even occurred to me. Do you use a polarity tester before connecting ?

As you probably gathered I am not a Cali owner so my electrics are different, the main power unit in my camper has an integral reversal indicator.

Rod

IMHO 1.5 amp cable is fine you don't need thicker for a hook up - it's rated for 16 amps anyway

So completely ignoring regulation that requires the cable capacity to exceed the rating of the protective device? Brilliant.

So completely ignoring regulation that requires the cable capacity to exceed the rating of the protective device? Brilliant.

Sidepod my old friend...

(and I'm not sure you're even right or that the cable in question does not meet the regs - a 16 amp rating will I'm sure allow for a significant safety margin overload well above this nominal figure)

...have you ever thought of posting in a manner of the friendly nature of this forum rather than being a sarcastic old ***? :D

When was the last time you fed anything approaching a whopping 16 amps into your Cali???!

As pointed out above by me and others you'll be lucky to get more than 6 amps on any campsite and many in France it's more like 4 amps max. The trips on either the site electrics or the Cali would go pop - been there done it with a dodgy 1000w ie 4amp low wattage fan heater at midnight on a busy French site - boy were we popular when we blew the site supply and the whole campsite was plunged into darkness!

Yet you use a 1.5mm cable yourself.

Ok.

Someone commented the other week.... That they store theirs beside the starter battery, under the front bonnet. I had a peep, and indeed there is a space. Haven’t relocated mine to it yet tho, but might give it a try.

Someone commented the other week.... That they store theirs beside the starter battery, under the front bonnet. I had a peep, and indeed there is a space. Haven’t relocated mine to it yet tho, but might give it a try.
I shove ours in there, but it is just a flimsy 10m lead from a cheap diy shop in San Marino.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk