Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hook up sockets fault

apatchee

apatchee

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all,

I've found a 93 Cali that I'm seeing tomorrow with the view to purchase.

The seller has informed me that when hooking the electrics up there doesn't seem to be any power at the sockets.

How complicated is this part of the vans system is this? Could it be a fuse out or something similar?

The Leisure battery charger works fine and the console reads battery and fridge info but no read out for water tanks.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Hi all,

I've found a 93 Cali that I'm seeing tomorrow with the view to purchase.

The seller has informed me that when hooking the electrics up there doesn't seem to be any power at the sockets.

How complicated is this part of the vans system is this? Could it be a fuse out or something similar?

The Leisure battery charger works fine and the console reads battery and fridge info but no read out for water tanks.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Hello @apatchee. Exciting stuff. Obviously it's difficult to say what the issue might be with the Hook Up without seeing the van in the flesh. They aren't that complicated and you could start by checking the RCD that's on the B-post behind the drivers seat. Does the Hook Up charge the battery when connected? ie the display will show a plug icon to signify being on mains power.

When you say no readout for the water tanks what do you mean? No icons for either or that it has no bars identifying the level? The fresh water level should so on the display regardless of level. The waste water tank icon only shows(flashing) when it's full and needs emptying.

Hello @apatchee. Exciting stuff. Obviously it's difficult to say what the issue might be with the Hook Up without seeing the van in the flesh. They aren't that complicated and you could start by checking the RCD that's on the B-post behind the drivers seat. Does the Hook Up charge the battery when connected? ie the display will show a plug icon to signify being on mains power.

When you say no readout for the water tanks what do you mean? No icons for either or that it has no bars identifying the level? The fresh water level should so on the display regardless of level. The waste water tank icon only shows(flashing) when it's full and needs emptying.
Okay thanks for your help!
I will be able to give more details tomorrow.

Thanks again

Okay thanks for your help!
I will be able to give more details tomorrow.

Thanks again
So I've manage to have a look at the electrics,

Previous owners at some point have disconnected the supply out of the hook up point and wired in a aftermarket battery charger.

So the van now has literally no 240v unless I re wire the supply cable back onto the external hook up socket.

I'm presuming the original batter charger failed this being the reason for the replacement aftermarket unit.

Where abouts is the original unit sited on the van?

Crikey. Sounds an interesting fix. Anyway the original charger lives under the fridge. To gain access you'll need to remove the screws that are behind the hinges of the left hand cupboard door, slide the seat right forward and then remove the remaining screws so the panel comes away. What you find after that is anyone's guess. Good luck.

Back