Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T4 Westy Fridge/Control panel advice please

Thanks for replying.
Thats weird, i only have the first and last indicator for battery. Nothing in between. Will this show when i use the battery?
First and last tends to display on full charge followed by all graduations when fridge etc in use.

hello all of you
I am a newbie and old french T4 owner (1992)
I see your post and hope you to help
My stationnary bateries are out and voltage controller show nothing even with motor running
If i test my batteries input between + and - there no voltage (motor batterie is 14 V)

pnfXSyoJj

poze0zDpj

when motor run there no voltage between 87 and - and between 30 and -
between 85 and 86 there is 42,9 ohm it seems to be normal
what do you think it can be ?
is it the Bosch part ?
http://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/relays_0332002150.asp
Or is it before this part ? Where can i see the dysfuncton ?
thanks

Hi and welcome.

I gather from the numbers you are using 87,30 etc that you are referring to a relay? I can’t see your photos.
Split charge relay?

It does sound like the relay isn’t working.

With the engine running there should be 12v across the two very thin wires that control the relay.
If there is then try connecting/ disconnecting them with the engine running. You should hear the relay clicking.

Ok I see it now. With engine running you should have 12v across 85/86.

You won’t see 12v across 87 and 30 , they are both +. This relay switches the positive line. Try 87 to Earth or 30 to earth.

hello

I test it this morning
With the engine running there should be 12v across the two very thin wires that control the relay. -> OK between (85) (86) 14 v
If there is then try connecting/ disconnecting them with the engine running. You should hear the relay clicking
. -> OK

I still have no volt (few) between neutral (-) and (+) batterie arriving see n°1 ont the picture below
poxJqjmuj

Ok then if you have 12v across 85/86 then your alternator is ok.

The coil of the relay may be working but the main contacts may have failed.

You need to confirm if there is 14v between 87 and earth AND if there is 14v between 30 and earth. This will prove the relay is at fault.

Replace the relay first.

Excellent, you are a star!

None of the taped up wires wires were connected, just chopped. Black and red ones now connected and as you say voltage shows on controller and the fridge now runs off batteries View attachment 12403 View attachment 12404

:):bananadance Thanks again, that will do for today. I think it's time for a beer to celebrate!
Excellent, you are a star!

None of the taped up wires wires were connected, just chopped. Black and red ones now connected and as you say voltage shows on controller and the fridge now runs off batteries View attachment 12403 View attachment 12404

:):bananadance Thanks again, that will do for today. I think it's time for a beer to celebrate!
Hi, I was looking for some info about the problem, finding this...
I have now the same problem with my VW T4 1995 california. The display does not show the volts of leasure battery. The battery is charged well. I have the Westy for 8 years now. This happened after the winter sleep. I use it very rearly. When I turn on the engine, it does not show volts as well ( but it used to..) and the fridge runs well. If I turn the fridge when the engine is stopped, the fridge starts and after about 20 secs stops and battery symbol on the display starts to blink... thank you a lot for any advice support. Z

Hi, I was looking for some info about the problem, finding this...
I have now the same problem with my VW T4 1995 california. The display does not show the volts of leasure battery. The battery is charged well. I have the Westy for 8 years now. This happened after the winter sleep. I use it very rearly. When I turn on the engine, it does not show volts as well ( but it used to..) and the fridge runs well. If I turn the fridge when the engine is stopped, the fridge starts and after about 20 secs stops and battery symbol on the display starts to blink... thank you a lot for any advice support. Z
Sounds to me like your battery has failed, or is failing. The flashing battery symbol is usually due to low voltage. Have you tried giving it 24 hours on the hook up to charge it fully?

Sounds to me like your battery has failed, or is failing. The flashing battery symbol is usually due to low voltage. Have you tried giving it 24 hours on the hook up to charge it fully?
Hi. Thanks a lot for your reply. Actualy, this is my first chat on the forum .
I am pretty sure the problem is somwhere on the way between the battery and the control unit. Even if the battery is weak, it should show forexample like 11, 8. It shows nothing....
The battery is not new, but was fresky external changed. Thank you, Z

Hi. Thanks a lot for your reply. Actualy, this is my first chat on the forum .
I am pretty sure the problem is somwhere on the way between the battery and the control unit. Even if the battery is weak, it should show forexample like 11, 8. It shows nothing....
The battery is not new, but was fresky external changed. Thank you, Z

Happy to try and help. Sounds like your next job is to get access to the charger (under the fridge) to check for any damage to the wiring. If your Westy has been stored all winter there’s a risk there may be rodent damage to the wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, yes, my Westy was stored for more than 6 months as all winters. We bought it some eight years ago, still the same...
I checked the charger bellow the fridge, wires, plugs, all is original and seems to be ok.
Could not be the problem in the rellay there?
It seems it does nothing when I turn the engine on and off..
Thx. Z

Hi, yes, my Westy was stored for more than 6 months as all winters. We bought it some eight years ago, still the same...
I checked the charger bellow the fridge, wires, plugs, all is original and seems to be ok.
Could not be the problem in the rellay there?
It seems it does nothing when I turn the engine on and off..
Thx. Z
That was my next suggestion. It's quite a topic of discussion on the forum with lots of advice on how to check it's working properly. Try doing a search for it as I would reckon you'll find your answer quite quickly that way.

Back