Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Horn Connector

California_Clarky

California_Clarky

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
I am in the process of updating the horn on the Cali - I have purchases a splitter cable to avoid cutting into the wiring, I am however having trouble getting the connector on to the horns

Do I need to remove the small purple piece of plastic prior to fitting IMG_6249.JPGIMG_6250.JPG

I am in the process of updating the horn on the Cali - I have purchases a splitter cable to avoid cutting into the wiring, I am however having trouble getting the connector on to the horns

Do I need to remove the small purple piece of plastic prior to fitting View attachment 115828View attachment 115829
The purple piece locks the terminals into the housing. Whilst the terminals push in and latch, they require a secondary locking device (the purple piece) to stop them backing out when the connectors are pushed together. I would just make sure the purple piece is central to the orange seal. If you can't make it work without the purple piece being removed, I would put a little pen mark on the cable before you insert it and see if the cable looks like it has come out, if it has try to push it back in.

Just a word of caution, if you are doubling up the horns, or uprating them, be prepared that you could end up damaging the horn output if it takes more current that is was designed for.

A

I am using the Hella horns recommended both others on this forum just didn't want to cut any wire

The purple piece locks the terminals into the housing. Whilst the terminals push in and latch, they require a secondary locking device (the purple piece) to stop them backing out when the connectors are pushed together. I would just make sure the purple piece is central to the orange seal. If you can't make it work without the purple piece being removed, I would put a little pen mark on the cable before you insert it and see if the cable looks like it has come out, if it has try to push it back in.

Just a word of caution, if you are doubling up the horns, or uprating them, be prepared that you could end up damaging the horn output if it takes more current that is was designed for.

A
I can't get the clip to locate on but will the purple clip be sufficient to hold the plug in ?

I can't get the clip to locate on but will the purple clip be sufficient to hold the plug in ?
I assume you mean the connector won’t mate fully with the horn ? It is really important the clip on the black connector is made - so if you have to remove the purple part to make it fit then do it. If it doesn’t seat correctly the plug won’t be sealed and water will get into the wires and make its way into the vehicle harness. It sounds like the harness you have doesn’t have the correct connectors or poor copies. A

Last edited:
UPDATE it seemed that the connectors were too long on the horns and the black molded clip wasn't quite in the right place so light sanded off about .5mm and both horn connectors fit like a glove

Last edited: