Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

hose pipe ban filling

It's tempting to expand this conversation to the question of hose-piping winter water or summer water from your rain barrel.

Marc.

We fill up train tanks with hosepipes and use thousands of litres per shift. I would assume those aren't banned either or the trains would be cancelled. I would risk filling up with 30 litres at home. It's nothing, if it bothers you or a stupidly nosy neighbour, use a watering can.

I'll be using the blue "food grade" hose for filling the tank. If anyone asks, which they won't, I can show them my garden hose locked up in the shed.

We will be filling our watering can from a hose, alternative is a 100m walk to the greenhouse from the tap. No difference to filling direct from the tap, uses exactly the same amount of water, and totally different to spraying it all over a lawn or down the drain washing the car. Same with filling the tank in a Cali as far as I’m concerned. Bit of common sense required.

We have a hose pipe ban in force in our area (Southern Water) my understanding is I can fill up our van's water tank at home with our hose pipe. Is this correct?
Correct
Same here in Yorkshire

I have worked in the Water Indusry for 27 years, mostly on water efficiency/saving projects. We use a phrase called 'open tap use' which is what the hose pipe ban is trying to curtail. In this instance you filling a water tank is 'measured use' and like previous comments, it doesn't matter how you fill the tank, the same volume of water applies. Your van maybe a recreational vehicle, but there is a health & saftey cluase to the hose pipe ban which isn't for paddling pools in the garden. Even in a recreational vehicle people need water to drink, keep clean and protect their well being. This use of the water drawn from a hose pipe quailifies as a health & saftey need. Remember - 'Rules are for the guidence of the wise, and the blind obedence of fools'

Having visited Isleworth Sewage Works when I was an engineering apprentice way back in the 1960’s I’m aware that the raw sewage is treated and then returned into the clean water supply system. (We were invited to sample a glass :) ). So, those people who believe that by watering their garden with their bath water they are saving water are misguided.
PS they had some wonderful tomato plants at Isleworth :)

Having visited Isleworth Sewage Works when I was an engineering apprentice way back in the 1960’s I’m aware that the raw sewage is treated and then returned into the clean water supply system. (We were invited to sample a glass :) ). So, those people who believe that by watering their garden with their bath water they are saving water are misguided.
PS they had some wonderful tomato plants at Isleworth :)
I suppose, It's not saving water, it's saving the process of cleaning the water again, so not necessarily misguided.

Cleaning water (both to drink and drain/waste) and pumping the water uses energy and materials/chemicals, so yes re-using bath water/grey water is saving the processes involved in cleaning and getting water to your tap, thus saving energy and resources.

so yes re-using bath water/grey water is saving the processes involved in cleaning and getting water to your tap, thus saving energy and resources.
And reducing your water bill - they don't give you anything for it when you send it back via the drainage system

And reducing your water bill - they don't give you anything for it when you send it back via the drainage system
no they just pump it back directly into the sea with your crap untreated when they feel like it.

We fill up train tanks with hosepipes and use thousands of litres per shift. I would assume those aren't banned either or the trains would be cancelled. I would risk filling up with 30 litres at home. It's nothing, if it bothers you or a stupidly nosy neighbour, use a watering can.
Commercial usage is allowed, it's domestics that are affected and to be honest the water companies lose 20-25% of what they supply daily in leakage.

I have worked in the Water Indusry for 27 years, mostly on water efficiency/saving projects. We use a phrase called 'open tap use' which is what the hose pipe ban is trying to curtail. In this instance you filling a water tank is 'measured use' and like previous comments, it doesn't matter how you fill the tank, the same volume of water applies. Your van maybe a recreational vehicle, but there is a health & saftey cluase to the hose pipe ban which isn't for paddling pools in the garden. Even in a recreational vehicle people need water to drink, keep clean and protect their well being. This use of the water drawn from a hose pipe quailifies as a health & saftey need. Remember - 'Rules are for the guidence of the wise, and the blind obedence of fools'
You may want to remove your postcode from your location and be a little vague say Lanchester or Durham. I would wager Northumbrian Water have never prosecuted for breaking a hosepipe ban.

You may want to remove your postcode from your location and be a little vague say Lanchester or Durham. I would wager Northumbrian Water have never prosecuted for breaking a hosepipe ban.
Thanks - I'm new here and didn't notice my postcode displayed. Plenty of water here in Durham...

Thanks - I'm new here and didn't notice my postcode displayed. Plenty of water here in Durham...
I bet. I have done a lot of water efficiency work for commercials and now work as a surveyor ensuring data is correct in the new commercial market.

Back