Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How cold is your aircon?

thehorse

thehorse

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Noticed in the hot weather yesterday that although my Cali aircon is cold but not icy cold like in my car.

In my car it actually hurts your hand if you hold it over the vent for a period of time. The Cali is definitely cold but not super cold. Had max AC selected and it was just about coping. In the car if I put it on "LO" it actually gets too cold and I have to turn it up a bit.

Interested to know if other calis have super cold aircon?

No, VW T5/6 vans don't have super-efficient aircon. However you don't say how old your Cali is... it might need a re-gas.

No problem with mine over the weekend. Mine's a 2018 Beach with the upgrade to climatic and vents in rear. Is it the best AC ever? No...but I'd say it does better than barely cope.

Might be down to age or spec???

We do pull the blinds down when parked in sunny conditions...it has a lot of glass!!

I find its about right most of the time but it is a big space to cool compared to a car so if you only have the front AC it can feel its struggling compared to a car. If its particularly hot I do need to turn up the fans to get the effect.

When you get above 30c that's when I notice it starting to show signs of a struggle but even then it copes. Still better than my t25 which is window and speed based cooling ;)

Sounds like regas time :)

It’s a ‘17 Ocean, about 11 months old, so shouldn’t really need a regas. Maybe just my other car is super cold in comparison and that’s just the way Calis are.

It’s a ‘17 Ocean, about 11 months old, so shouldn’t really need a regas. Maybe just my other car is super cold in comparison and that’s just the way Calis are.
Which AirCon System have you got fitted.
Standard or Climatronic?

I notice the same in my beach. definitely cold but not amazing.

Do not compare a car with a van (witch a Cali still is ) much more volume to cool ...

Have you had it standing for a while or not used the AC for a long period? The system may have leaked slightly.
As above mines not amazing but after 10 mins it’s up to speed. Trying to cool down a greenhouse on wheels don’t forget.
Also put on re circulate so it cools the cooled air in van only and not the world.

I think it works perfect. I dont like cars which blows extremely cold air in my face etc. The T6 van works perfectly well bringing down the temperature in a slow but nice way. Worked nice in 35-40C degrees in France last summer as well as in Sweden at 30 degrees now.

Just checking here - you have got the rear vents temperature set at the desired temp haven't you? ie, not the front vents set to 19 and the rears set to 23 or something?!!

In our new Ocean we've never even really noticed the aircon - ie it just works. We've driven in temps up to 28.5c now and it just worked perfectly, front and rear.

The rear 3rd zone is brilliant for keeping the dog cool on a long trip. Works fantastically well.

Thanks for the replies. It’s the climatronic system which is standard on the ocean. It has been standing a while (about a month) but wouldn’t expect it would be losing gas given its age. It works ok, just about coping, but sounds like that is pretty normal for the T6

I'd get it checked.

I've never thought ours is 'just about coping'.

My wife's fiesta had a regas under warranty at 9 months old. The garages view was that it wasn't filled correctly at the factory, so it might just be it hasn't got enough gas from new?

Friend of mine is an air con engineer and highly recommended I purchased one of these http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/air-con/air-conditioning-test-thermometer I actually leave it in my vent all the time now, as a guide if the temperature outside is higher than 21 degrees it should bring the internal temperature down to around 16-18 degrees, you need to leave the blower on full for at least 5 minutes in recirculation mode, if it does not then it needs regassing/fixing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. It’s the climatronic system which is standard on the ocean. It has been standing a while (about a month) but wouldn’t expect it would be losing gas given its age. It works ok, just about coping, but sounds like that is pretty normal for the T6

Not 100% sure whether I'm right here or indeed whether you understand this already but .....
With my air con switched on and the temp inside the van slightly warmer than the dial settings (usually set around 21 degrees in my Cali) to begin with, the van cools but no matter what you do with the fan the ability to cool does not change but it is slightly emphasised if that makes sense.
But if I decrease the dial setting down to say 18 degrees the air con gets considerably colder in an effort to decrease the temp in the cab to that temperature and again increasing the fan only emphasises this. Sometimes it increases the fan speed on its own to hurry things up but that is not 'maxing' the air con.

From you post I wasn't sure if you thought 'Maxing' the fan speed was how the cooling worked?
Either way mine is sufficient in the 'chill' factor.

Last edited:
OP, I completely agree, I have a 6 month old ocean which we picked up over a rather hot weekend a few weeks back and notice a significant difference between my BMW aircon, which freezes my knuckles off when set to its lowest (other than max) of 16.5 degrees, vs the California’s lowest (other than Lo) of 18 degrees.

Not to do with the van space I think as I’m purely assessing based on the air that is blown into my face (which is for some reason what I like!).

What I must say though is that after many hours of driving incl when it was 28 degrees over the weekend, the regulated 18 degree Cali temp was perfectly comfortable so I think just a case of getting used to it ..!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When we set ours to its lowest, the car gets far too cold for our liking... And when it is 28 degrees outside, we definitely don't want 18 degrees inside: far too great a difference to be comfortable. We then usually set it to e.g. 22 degrees, and the system just keeps the car at that.

Are you sure your back setting isn't left on a wintery 24 degrees or something? And that you are just setting the front to 18, and it starts fighting with the backside setting?

I leave mine synced to keep the dogs cool in the back

And I should clarify - I like it chilly but my wife doesn’t so I don’t think she minds at all if it doesn’t get as cold as the car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When we set ours to its lowest, the car gets far too cold for our liking... And when it is 28 degrees outside, we definitely don't want 18 degrees inside: far too great a difference to be comfortable. We then usually set it to e.g. 22 degrees, and the system just keeps the car at that.

Are you sure your back setting isn't left on a wintery 24 degrees or something? And that you are just setting the front to 18, and it starts fighting with the backside setting?

We usually have ours synced 18 to 19.5 C, and notice every 0.5 C change. Given the volume of air in the van I think it is great.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Don’t forget the MAX AC button is designed to de mist the front window quickly so it fires all the cold air up to the windscreen. This may be why you won’t be feeling much coming from the vents?

Yes, definitely synced, besides I'm talking about the air coming directly out of the front vents, rather than the overall cabin temp. As mentioned it's ok and definitely cooling, just not icy cold like my other car. Think that is just the way they are.

Coincidentally I phoned my local Vw dealer for a quote to service and regas my 2013 Beach aircon, they charge £79.
This sounds a bit pricey, anyone else had a recent quote?
Any recommendations for non Vw dealer?

My T5 3 zone works brilliantly, very quick to cool down and also demists well. Heater is also excellent, can't fault it.

I could be wrong, but I'm sure I read somewhere that not all the Dashboard vents give out AirCon cooled air. One set just give out Ambient air.

Back