Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How distant in time is an Electric California

I haven't looked too much at those, my mate has a Taycan turbo ( :D )
but also has a Macan diesel as back up.

I dont like the leasing idea, of course you can buy one, but what is it worth in 10yrs, or even 5.

I ordered a 4.0. flat 6 last year, it might come this year, I don't care when because this
baby might be one of the last. How crazy is that.
GT4?

Let's have a proper look at what is powered by diesel that they reckon they are going to ban in 8 years. Feel free to add if I missed owt. Vans lorries trains ships jcbs earth movers (digging up lithium) combine harvesters tractors generators in hospitals, everything at the airport, generators everywhere, then vans, millions of them delivering everything. No way is this going to happen. Anyone that thinks an electric cali with heating etc is coming soon is an idiot. What about motorhomes. Caravans etc . It will not happen

Last edited:
Let's have a proper look at what is powered by diesel that they reckon they are going to ban in 8 years. Feel free to add if I missed owt. Vans lorries trains ships jcbs earth movers (digging up lithium) combine harvesters tractors generators in hospitals, everything at the airport, generators everywhere, then vans, millions of them delivering everything. No way is this going to happen. Anyone that thinks an electric cali with heating etc is coming soon is an idiot. What about motorhomes. Caravans etc . It will not happen
you mean that tanks and trucks in the military, Humvees and similar are also not going electric?

Tricky one. Just look at the size of the “Big White” market and all that goes with it. Big chunk of the economy. All of those owners won’t want to spend a ton of pension £ on a new electric unit.
I think diesels in leisure vehicles will be around as long as anyone here reading this is alive.

Yes I’m pretty much assuming I will be allowed to keep driving my 2008 T5 California, possibly until I’m too old. Hopefully they will be seen as niche/classic vehicles. There’s two Type 25s and an E Type Jag on my road. I don’t think people will see scrapping them as environmentally friendly. I just hope the diesel will be available and not too expensive.

Let the commuter cars that do 20 miles a day and the vans go electric. Easy to achieve.

I wonder when I will be forced to get an electric car. I would love one but just can’t justify the cost. If/when they tighten ULEZ I’ll be forced to.

When will our jets to Malaga be electric? I know they’re developing them but it will be a fair while.

I started driving an ID.3 in August 2021on a 3-year autocredit contract with the intention to give it back in 2024 and start driving the ID.Buzz (of which was not very much known at that time), hoping for a camper version.

When I realised 2 weeks ago that a camper version was not to appear until at least 2025, I binned the idea and bought a Cali Ocean which I'll exchange for the ID.3 early January 2023.

I'll have a spare charging station on my wall for future reference, but in the mean time I'll gladly burn diesel fuel (hopefully people don't start throwing stones at diesel vehicles to soon...).

I can live with the idea that electric campers are for the next generation, I won't bother waiting for it.

I started driving an ID.3 in August 2021on a 3-year autocredit contract with the intention to give it back in 2024 and start driving the ID.Buzz (of which was not very much known at that time), hoping for a camper version.

When I realised 2 weeks ago that a camper version was not to appear until at least 2025, I binned the idea and bought a Cali Ocean which I'll exchange for the ID.3 early January 2023.

I'll have a spare charging station on my wall for future reference, but in the mean time I'll gladly burn diesel fuel (hopefully people don't start throwing stones at diesel vehicles to soon...).

I can live with the idea that electric campers are for the next generation, I won't bother waiting for it.
Exactly my journey. Just substitute a BMW 330e for an ID3. Once the Buzz was actually released, I gave up my order & bought an Ocean.

Collecting it on the 1st

I live in Western Australia. A short trip is 300 kms and a long trip, to Broome for example is 2,500 kms. On these trips there is a Roadhouse approximately 200 kms apart with nothing but emptiness between. If you want to take a minor road (through the outback) then you had better have a diesel as the only fuel at outback stations is diesel with no petrol available. If you want to drive across the Nullarbor Plain to the east coast then you need to be prepared to drive 4,000 kms across the desert. How do you think an electric campervan would handle this? If you are retired with plenty of time and a good planner then it can be done. Otherwise, go the diesel motor vvvv California!
I did that journey wax back when in a ‘71 Bay Window from Perth to Darwin.

Good times. Rattling around the outback on graded roads in a rattly old bus was great.

Exactly my journey. Just substitute a BMW 330e for an ID3. Once the Buzz was actually released, I gave up my order & bought an Ocean.

Collecting it on the 1st
Probably one of the wisest financial decisions you will have made ;)

“maybe aye, maybe noh” , moi …I take every day as a joy in oor wee van.
Me, ma man and oor laddie Tavish.
The van, it can go as spare parts after we’ve shuffled off this ‘mortal coil’.

Back