Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How do I turn off the electronics?

kaoskitn

kaoskitn

Vehicle
T4 Hightop
Hi all.

I've read through the English translation of the T4 California Westfalia (1992) manual and I still cannot figure out exactly how to deal with these two issues that I have, so I thought I'd hit you all up and see if you can help out:

• Is there a way to delete all of the timer settings for the heater, or to just make sure that it doesn't turn itself on while it's parked?
  • I've turned the gas under the van all the way, counter-clockwise (in the direction of "zu", which means closed) but the gas still works on the stove burner when the valve under the sink is on, which makes me nervous about driving. Am I missing an additional switch or something to turn gas all the way off?
  • The dash controls stay on after I've parked and drain battery. Is there some sort of master "off" or "park" switch or button somewhere to just make sure that batteries aren't drained while parked? I tried flipping the breaker switch above the fuse box behind the driver's seat and that doesn't seem to have any effect. (I believe it's for the 230v input)
Sorry for all the questions lumped into one. They are all basically summarised as "How do I turn everything off?"

Many thanks in advance!

Cari

Hey Cari,

What age is your Westy? There were some slight variations in the central electronics control panel. So before I plunge in any make assumptions it would help to know which you have - 6 or 8 buttons?

4485ebe6ea48bf1a3ec5e116f96de132.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re-gas : turn the gas of on top of the botlle if you not sure.
Check the system/pipes , maybe over the years a prvious owner changed things...

Do know that even with the tap turned of there's still gas in the pipes so maybe this caused you worry?

Hey Cari,

What age is your Westy? There were some slight variations in the central electronics control panel. So before I plunge in any make assumptions it would help to know which you have - 6 or 8 buttons?

4485ebe6ea48bf1a3ec5e116f96de132.jpg

It's the one on the right. 1992 T4 California Westfalia (German version?)

Re-gas : turn the gas of on top of the botlle if you not sure.

I will check this. Thanks! As for here being gas in the pipes. I figured there might be so I left the burner running a while and it kept going.

Okay. I’m not sure I’ll be able to help regarding the heater timer as mine has the controls for the heater on it too. Like the controller on the left in the picture. You might find more information on this from other members or by doing an online search for Eberspacher controllers. This website https://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/eberspacher_control_2.html might be useful as it has operating instructions for a number of Eberspacher controllers. I’m sure one will be like yours.

Regarding the gas, have you isolated the supply at the bottle? It may be that you turned the knob on the regulator in the wrong direction. It can be a bit disorientating in that little cupboard. As Hotel California says there will always be a little gas in the pipe work but that’s of no significance if you’ve isolated the bottle.

And the central electronics display, as you suspected, doesn’t have a permanent ‘off’ switch. Basically if your fridge, interior lights and heater are switched off there should be virtually no drain on the battery. Unless a previous owner has added the radio or some other electrical,devices to the camper battery circuit. There may be a little and it’s worth plugging in the hook up cable to give the battery a ‘top up’ once a month if you’re not using it. The switch you tried to operate behind the drivers seat is, as you suspected, a circuit breaker for the 240V and generally should only work if there is a short circuit.

Hopefully this covers some of your queries.

I suspect your gas supply isn’t a bottle in the bottom of the wardrobe? And is in fact the under sling tank with the regulator pictured below. Did you you switch both parts of the regulator so it’s in position 4 - arrows horizontal, switch ‘zu’? I think both parts of the switch have varying effects depending on what you want the gas supply to do.

8b2f3a1aff68ed9f1a1e197775d4a3cf.jpg

If that doesn’t isolate the gas supply the chances are the regulator needs a service or replacing out right. It’ll be quite old now.

Ok. Got the gas and heat parts. To disable the console, I just popped the top fuse out, which turns it off. Not as nice as a switch but it'll do.

The switch on the gas canister was stuck so I was just being timid and afraid to break it. After reading the original book in German a bit more, looking for a drawing similar to the one above, it was clear that was a switch and it was supposed to move so I broke out the wd40 and then it moved to the zu position.

Thanks for the help! :)

Back