Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas....on...off...on...off...on...off.......

Alan said:
Heck ....gripping stuff going on here... :shocked
Martins video has got me a tad anxious
Just nipped out to make sure gas is all off. The van gets parked on the forecourt outside the bay window of the house.
Well if you know much about old T25's as in that video, you will know 3 things.. Firstly the fuel lines were thin rubber and prone to perishing, and secondly those fuel lines sat on top of engine, and third they are rear engined. So not surprising the engine compartments on tense and on older VW's tended to go up in a petrol fuelled fire.
California's are soooo different in all 3 aspects..
IMO it's important to keep it in perspective based on facts, rather than alarmism.

A good point mister tea about perishing fuel lines.....
Reminds me when I was new to the painting & decorating profession.
We was taught to turn off our gas bottles from the gas cylinder while the flame was still alight on the torch so not to leave gas in the rubber pipe line to avoid perishing.
Would this be relevant to today's rubber gas lines? I wonder!

Just when driving for me, now where did i put that bottom shelf,it got the heave ho on day 1.

I'm gonna turn mine off in future!
Someone ran into the back of us recently. Not much damage but a strong smell of gas and a displaced cylinder which was difficult to get at due to all our stuff packed into the back.

A good point mister tea about perishing fuel lines.....
Reminds me when I was new to the painting & decorating profession.
We was taught to turn off our gas bottles from the gas cylinder while the flame was still alight on the torch so not to leave gas in the rubber pipe line to avoid perishing.
Would this be relevant to today's rubber gas lines? I wonder!
The California " Red Rubber " gas line has an inner Plastic liner that actually is the gas pipe. Need a hacksaw to cut it. Extremely tough.:thumb

Most gas regulators have a safety feature whereby if all back pressure is removed - e.g. a hose after the regulator is ruptured then the gas shuts off - well, almost - my BBQ bottle top regulators shut down to a very low flow if you just pull the hose off. I have not tested this on my Cali regulator yet.

In addition the proper GOK regulator in the Cali is designed for habitation use (hence why it is more expensive than a standard camping gaz bottle top regulator) as it has an over pressure safety device to shut it down should the regulator fail and let too much pressure pass. This is a similar design to the bulkhead regulators to be found in modern caravans. It is this feature that deems this regulator safe to leave on over-night.

A normal bottle top regulator should never be left on when not in use as a pressure failure could rupture the downstream hoses, pipework and joints etc. If it started to fail whilst doing the BBQ you would hopefully notice the flaring and turbo cooking of your sausages and turn it off immediately!

I always turn off the gas at the bottle in the back before driving. I put a Velcro cycle clip around the gas bottle when it is turned off and move it to the steering wheel when I turn the gas on. That way I never forget to turn off the gas before moving. I wouldn't want what happened to this van owner.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/gas-safety-explosion-in-van-in-bristol.18293/ This was a van in Bristol that was carrying a gas bar-b-que. It must have been leaking gas when in the back of the van.