Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How essential is it to clean the fresh water tank before first use?

RobertCalifornia

RobertCalifornia

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
I’m working through the manual on our new Coast, and today got round to the section on cleaning the fresh water tank (which VW recommend before first use).

I’ve come across the same problem as many others (the plastic lid of the fresh water tank wedged on so tight Hercules would struggle to move it) and am wondering if this is an essential ‘don’t drink anything until you have cleaned it out’ situation, or something we can do when we get around to it?

I’ve got the AquaSol water treatment, so if it can be risked I’ll deal with it next week.

I’m working through the manual on our new Coast, and today got round to the section on cleaning the fresh water tank (which VW recommend before first use).

I’ve come across the same problem as many others (the plastic lid of the fresh water tank wedged on so tight Hercules would struggle to move it) and am wondering if this is an essential ‘don’t drink anything until you have cleaned it out’ situation, or something we can do when we get around to it?

I’ve got the AquaSol water treatment, so if it can be risked I’ll deal with it next week.

I just gave mine a rinse through.

As for the water cap, I couldn't get mine off either.... then just as I was about to do GBH to the van a light came on in my head and I realised the dealer had given me the wrong keys :shocked

I was assuming the OP meant he couldn't open the access hatch, not the filler cap on the side of the van?

I assumed that as well, broke all my fingernails on it, but I just couldn't help egging it....

I'm getting camping fever .....

The release date is soon .....

YESSSSSS!!

Meanwhile, back to water tanks :(

I used a pair of pipe grips to get lid off on my old cali. Just hooked jaws over two of the top raised plastic lines and it turned.

I just rinsed mine through when it was new and then have used Micropur drops whenever I fill up. There is zero effect on taste and I feel confident that it keeps the water safe.

This is my first winter with a drain down and I plan to rinse through with Puriclean before refilling with Micropur again through the season. I have chosen Puriclean because it is nontoxic and tasteless. I have heard some people have struggled to get rid of the taste after using sterilising fluids/tablets and that was enough to put me off.

We feel confident to drink our water and so don’t need to buy more stuff/plastic bottles to hold drinking water in.

Welcome to the forum by the way,

A great place to get advice, meet people. talk about like-minded things ...

Thanks for the advice everyone. We’re camping out on the road in the California tonight. Filled the water tank up but just using it for teeth cleaning and water for the kettle for now. Will stick the detergent in tomorrow. I’d have still been trying to twist that cap off now had it not been for the forum!

Its basically a big plastic bottle.

Rinse it out and you're good to go.
disclaimer - Should be good to go.

Thanks for the advice everyone. We’re camping out on the road in the California tonight. Filled the water tank up but just using it for teeth cleaning and water for the kettle for now. Will stick the detergent in tomorrow. I’d have still been trying to twist that cap off now had it not been for the forum!
Hope you have a good night. I’m off outside to join my girls who have convinced me to do it again tonight

We clean ours out with Puriclean twice a year, still don't drink from the onboard water storage.

Are you in the Welsh Water area? If you are, you can expect to have enough chlorine in your tap water to kill any bugs that might be lurking in your tank. Tip in a couple of litres and pump half out via the tap, drain out the other half through the dump valve and you're good to go.

Interesting read, just wondered why people do not drink from the tank. If your filling from your home supply or any supply that is used for drinking surely it's safe enough to drink? Perhaps I'm wrong?

Interesting read, just wondered why people do not drink from the tank. If your filling from your home supply or any supply that is used for drinking surely it's safe enough to drink? Perhaps I'm wrong?
Your not wrong. No rhyme nor reason behind it.

I think some people worry when water is left in the tank for any length of time, the system could develop bacteria or algae. Any standing water can be affected.

That’s why I use the Micropur because it protects from all these contaminants for up to 6 months and the water is never in the tank that long!

The only risk to water tank management is stagnation. Tap water will loose its chlorine over time and Summer temperatures will then promote bacterial growth. As long as the tank is drained of water after each use and filled with fresh water each trip you will have no problems. The only other common risk is introduction of contaminants via any hose used to fill the tank, campsite hoses are to be avoided at all costs as some "campers" do appear to not understand the etiquette of toilet cassette emptying and cleaning.

In our case we disinfect ours because we can't actually see the tank or see into it. So if anything did get in or algae did grow we would not know about it. Belt and braces safety - who would wish for an upset stomach when away on a camping trip?

We got our Cali new in 2014, and have never put anything in the tank except clean water, we do drink the tank water and amazingly we are still alive
But if it had killed you, you wouldn’t be on here telling us would you?

Have never cleaned or disinfected mine. I decided at the start not to drink cold water from it, and frankly that makes things easier as I just top it up any time we set off, rather than wondering how long any residual water has been sat there. I have a rigid plastic jerry can in the van which I always empty, rinse and refill before a trip for cold drinks, so van water is just for kettle, cooking, washing up etc. TBH with a solar panel, water is the first thing we run out of, so using an extra tank for drinking water helps with that.

Mine is 10 years old now. I soak and flush the tank and pipework out out twice a year with a Milton solution. Have always drank from the tank. As far as I can see, there is no build up of that black bio-film (mould) and all seems clean.

Mine is 10 years old now. I soak and flush the tank and pipework out out twice a year with a Milton solution. Have always drank from the tank. As far as I can see, there is no build up of that black bio-film (mould) and all seems clean.
If you have never drunk dirty water, even if it looks clean, you will never do it again!!! You will need more than a porta-potty! Oh, and in bad cases it can kill you.

If you have never drunk dirty water, even if it looks clean, you will never do it again!!!
I have often drunk spring water directly without being concerned. Once it's in the tank I always boil it before use. I once drank water direct from a pipe near a stream in Switzerland then later, on a walk alongside the stream found a decomposing sheep immersed about ten metres upstream of the pipe intake.
But if it had killed you, you wouldn’t be on here telling us would you?
There are lots of instances of private wells containing water with contaminants massively above WHO acceptable levels without causing serious illness.

Are you in the Welsh Water area? If you are, you can expect to have enough chlorine in your tap water to kill any bugs that might be lurking in your tank. Tip in a couple of litres and pump half out via the tap, drain out the other half through the dump valve and you're good to go.
Your joking? when they do add chlorine it is a bit of a shock when they do it LOL !

Back