Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How essential is it to clean the fresh water tank before first use?

.... Uso solo acqua distillata in vasca, non ho mai avuto problemi di alghe o odori strani ..

I just rinsed mine through when it was new and then have used Micropur drops whenever I fill up. There is zero effect on taste and I feel confident that it keeps the water safe.

This is my first winter with a drain down and I plan to rinse through with Puriclean before refilling with Micropur again through the season. I have chosen Puriclean because it is nontoxic and tasteless. I have heard some people have struggled to get rid of the taste after using sterilising fluids/tablets and that was enough to put me off.

We feel confident to drink our water and so don’t need to buy more stuff/plastic bottles to hold drinking water in.

We just purchased a 400gm Puriclean through Amazon. I assumed it was tablets but it has arrived and is powder. Can’t find any instruction on the tub other than 1teaspoon per litre water…. is this the ratio you used.?

We just purchased a 400gm Puriclean through Amazon. I assumed it was tablets but it has arrived and is powder. Can’t find any instruction on the tub other than 1teaspoon per litre water…. is this the ratio you used.?
That is what I use.

These threads are often amazing. Some don't let the battery go below 50%, some won't drink water from the tap!? Is anyone afraid to sleep in the roof?
I think I've cleaned our water tank 3 times in 13 years. We were filling our water bottles all last weekend. Still standing.

I suspect you have, fortunately, never drunk contaminated water and suffered the consequences. It's something one does not forget and heightens the care one takes about cleaning out the water system. Cleaning out the system is an easy win and removes a source of illness even if the possibility is low.

I fill the tank with UK tap water that I believe to be very safe. I empty the tank at the end of the season. I’ve cleaned it 2 or 3 times in 13 years. I don’t believe the tank gets warm. In fact isn’t the gas cylinder cold to touch? Almost like they designed it that way for a reason.

Last summer we built a small pond in our garden using a butlers sink. The RSPB instructions said to ideally fill it with rain water. If we’d filled it with tap water nothing would have wanted to grow or live in it!

I saw a chap brush his teeth with water from the chemical toilet hose at Nethergong in July.
He’s presumably dead now. ☠️

Last edited:
Hi

I don’t remember exactly but I did use what it said on the tub. I didn’t fill the whole tank but put in enough to flush through the system. I personally will continue to do this before each season.

I tried to make a more concentrated solution but that didn’t work as it didn’t want to dissolve fully , so best to just dilute as per instructions in a plastic bottle and repeat until you get your desired volume.

Oh and I still add Micropur to every fill up because it’s as easy as counting 25 drops in to the water container and then I don’t worry about emptying after every trip.

Just followed the instructions, basically 1 teaspoon of powder per gallon, thus 6.5 teaspoons for a full tank. Dissolved fairly well and put some water into tank before adding the solution then filled tank. Ran some into grey tank then sloshed it around on a drive … will now empty and flush out with clean water…. ready for refill and heh ho off on another trip !

Back