Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How long will Engine Battery last when parked.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Well arrived back from Australia this am.
My 5 yr old California has been parked up at Heathrow T5 Long Stay, outside, for the past 32 days and I’m pleased to say it started on first turn of the Ignition key. Full Alarm system on for the whole time.

My 5 yr old California has been parked up at Heathrow T5 Long Stay, outside, for the past 32 days and I’m pleased to say it started on first turn of the Ignition key. Full Alarm system on for the whole time.
Is that the original engine battery?

Yes, after 90,000 + miles and 5 years 4 months.
That’s brilliant. Have you changed the leisure batteries in that period?
And welcome home. I hope the family remain safe down under.

That’s brilliant. Have you changed the leisure batteries in that period?
And welcome home. I hope the family remain safe down under.
The Leisure batteries were changed at 4 yrs 6 months. One battery developed an acute fault and failed under load.

@WelshGas welcome back, good holiday?
Excellent. We left in a rainstorm and I hope they get more of it soon.
We were booked in for a weeks camping, during our stay, but the site was closed and evacuated under the State of Emergency. Fortunately the family that own and run it had some ground damage on their Free Camp site but the rest survived undamaged. We’ll be going next visit.

Mine sometimes sits parked up in my garage even longer than 32 days as it's not our daily driver .
I started up without a problem on the 1st januari for a ride after standing still since we got back from Denmark begin october , so three months ....
It's a 2012 SE with only 65.000km and all three battery's are the factory fitted ones , never had an issue with my battery's , i must say i hook-up every two weeks for 24h when parked up longtime.

@hotel california - I also had a slightly longer period without start up last year when I had my back problems. The van was never more than 6 weeks (usually 4) without hook up. And I had a neighbour start it and let the engine tick over for 15 mins as well. I had no problems (before or) after until the batteries were inadvertently drained in October by the dealer.
The batteries, if treated correctly, seem to last a good long while.

That's the sign of a well-used Cali. Use them well and keep 'em healthy :thumb

Does your solar keep also the engine battery charged, or else, do your solar charged LB connect with the EB once you turn on the ignition?

Does your solar keep also the engine battery charged, or else, do your solar charged LB connect with the EB once you turn on the ignition?
Interesting question. Officially No.

I have proven to myself that when on Mains Electric Hookup, once the Leisure Batteries are fully charged there is a small change in the voltage of the Engine Battery, a small trickle charge.
I have Not seen this when just using the Solar panel, on my drive with nothing on the Leisure circuit except a voltmeter. The Engine battery voltage never changed.

Mine sometimes sits parked up in my garage even longer than 32 days as it's not our daily driver .
I started up without a problem on the 1st januari for a ride after standing still since we got back from Denmark begin october , so three months ....
It's a 2012 SE with only 65.000km and all three battery's are the factory fitted ones , never had an issue with my battery's , i must say i hook-up every two weeks for 24h when parked up longtime.
The fact that you are on Mains Hookup every 2 weeks possibly means the Engine battery is on trickle charge also every 2 weeks.

Back