Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How often is air con servicing needed (if at all?!)

K-Rog

K-Rog

Vehicle
Looking to buy
The dealer has said my 2.5 year old T6 Beach is due an air con service, but is this really needed or just a way for them to get more money out of me? The air con works fine! They’ve quoted £79, would it be cheaper to get it done at a garage? TIA!!

I think VW recommend year 1 some sort of hygiene clean, year 2 a complete regas and clean, and alternating then between the 2...

My Ford Focus worked well for 16 yrs without touching the air con....apart from making sure I used it regularly. Is the Cali so much more inferior. Surly if it works well, leave it

I do my own a/c regas etc. My recommendation is to leave it alone. Its good practice to run it regularly. If it loses efficency ie not as cold then get it serviced. If it smells musty then get it debugged - can do this yourself.

All a/c loses gas over time as it diffuses through the rubber pipes but can take a number of years

If the vehicle and the AirCon is used regularly throughout the year then you can leave it unless you require a clean due to musty smells. However if the vehicle is laid up for prolonged periods or the AirCon is rarely used. This is when problems are more likely and may not be fixed by a simple re-charge of the Refrigerant. Your choice.
Personally I have it done every 2 years and can notice a difference as do other family members.:thumb

Personally I have it done every 2 years and can notice a difference as do other family members.
I change my underwear on the same schedule with the same happy family............

Thanks for your replies all. We use the van almost daily with the air con on and have had no problems with it, so I’m thinking maybe I should leave it alone for now at least!

Thanks for your replies all. We use the van almost daily with the air con on and have had no problems with it, so I’m thinking maybe I should leave it alone for now at least!
There are a lot of little extras that garages charge for that are normally ignored on prepaid service plans, replacing the brake fluid is one, you will pass your MOT with the original brake fluid in a 20 year old car, it is a puzzle.

Also, dont confuse the pollen filter change that can smell and get mouldy and I always replace mine every 2 years..

The dealer has said my 2.5 year old T6 Beach is due an air con service, but is this really needed or just a way for them to get more money out of me? The air con works fine! They’ve quoted £79, would it be cheaper to get it done at a garage? TIA!!
I recently had my aircon served and regased, after ten years of ownership
KwikFit do a brilliant job, for £79, don’t both with the main dealers

I was advised recently to recharge the Aircon. I declined as it still blows icy cold. On enquiring about price, I was told that I have to pay double as the SE/Ocean has two separate systems. Is this true? I know there are two separate compressors but are the systems totally independent of each other?

Note: Cali is 2008.

Cheers in advance.

I was advised recently to recharge the Aircon. I declined as it still blows icy cold. On enquiring about price, I was told that I have to pay double as the SE/Ocean has two separate systems. Is this true? I know there are two separate compressors but are the systems totally independent of each other?

Cheers in advance.
Two evaporators, one compressor.

Before our marathon driving trip through Europe ladt Summer I took the Cali into Halfords for a re-gas. Brilliant bloke tested it said please save your money its working perfectly! Top bloke! Saving paid for a couple of extra nights beside Lake Geneva with the water lapping at our feet and an amazing Sunset over the mountains!

Cheers in advance.
Had mine done early last year only cost £35.00 mine is a 2006

There are a lot of little extras that garages charge for that are normally ignored on prepaid service plans, replacing the brake fluid is one, you will pass your MOT with the original brake fluid in a 20 year old car, it is a puzzle.
I agree that air con re-gas is a bit of a rip-off, I don’t think there is any need if it’s nice and chilly.
But I think brake fluid is a different matter. It’ll probably be fine for a few years, but I’d definitely recommend changing after 3 or 4 years.
See the below:

“Brake fluid is a hygroscopic fluid - meaning that it absorbs water over time reducing its effectiveness.
If the fluid is not changed before the water content reaches the 3% mark, the water brings down the normal boiling point of the brake fluid and air bubbles are created as a result. Once this happens, the brakes become ineffective and dangerous.
If that wasn't bad enough, a motorist probably won't even be aware that this has taken place because the braking system will appear completely normal until the brake fluid reaches the reduced boiling point - which usually occurs after braking heavily.”

I believe it because qwikfit did my AC last summer and the front blows cold but the rear is hot, so I think they only re-gassed 1/2. Who advised you I’m trying to figure out how to re-gas the rear...presume there’s a 2nd port?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe it because qwikfit did my AC last summer and the front blows cold but the rear is hot, so I think they only re-gassed 1/2. Who advised you I’m trying to figure out how to re-gas the rear...presume there’s a 2nd port?

If it’s a genuine vw system then the whole system is one circuit two evaporations one a/c compressor. Do you definitely have rear a/c ? You can tell if you have 4 pipes coming out of the txv Valve on the bulkhead. If you do have rear a/c and the front is working then you have a flap motor/air distribution fault not a a/c problem

If it’s a genuine vw system then the whole system is one circuit two evaporations one a/c compressor. Do you definitely have rear a/c ? You can tell if you have 4 pipes coming out of the txv Valve on the bulkhead. If you do have rear a/c and the front is working then you have a flap motor/air distribution fault not a a/c problem

This is a photo of the rear unit. I’m not sure if it would help for me to turn it on, but it doesn’t seem right that I should have freezing air blowing out the front and quite warm air in the back. It doesn’t have a button that says A/C and there are two blank looking buttons... so maybe the rear is not air-conditioned?

image.jpg

Are your front controls dual climate ? Really the only way I could tell if you have rear air con is by seeing the pipes under the Bonnet 0204D63F-D1C6-4BA4-9173-BD8D3ECA8A2E.jpeg
If there are two pipes you have front A/c if you have four pipes then you have front and rear. The standard set up is two pipes set horizontally if it has rear then the vehicle will have vertical pipes as well

Mine is a 2006 German import SE
I took photos of the whole bulkhead because I’m not sure what I’m looking at but I think the first one on the left is the two pipes you mean.

e0260bba06b15cb2fc51d471a10b86d4.jpg
b5c67845424439a245d7b85a5bff07a4.jpg
c3c3943531bb6e36399716f47f792785.jpg

This is a photo of the rear unit. I’m not sure if it would help for me to turn it on, but it doesn’t seem right that I should have freezing air blowing out the front and quite warm air in the back. It doesn’t have a button that says A/C and there are two blank looking buttons... so maybe the rear is not air-conditioned?

View attachment 44999
This is the rear command display of the 3-zones automatic airconditioning (called climatronic).
Here you can only select: temperature, direction of blowing, speed of ventilation.
In the display on the front, you can choose the front settings, and additionally airco on or off.
If you put the airo on at the front, then the airco will also work at the back.

I see that you have a first T5 (before 2010), so I don't know if you have a button at the front that will let you choose to synchronize all 3 zones of the aironditioning. Perhaps you can show me your front display?

This is the rear command display of the 3-zones automatic airconditioning (called climatronic).
Here you can only select: temperature, direction of blowing, speed of ventilation.
In the display on the front, you can choose the front settings, and additionally airco on or off.
If you put the airo on at the front, then the airco will also work at the back.

I see that you have a first T5 (before 2010), so I don't know if you have a button at the front that will let you choose to synchronize all 3 zones of the aironditioning. Perhaps you can show me your front display?

There isn’t a dedicated sync button, but if you hold the auto button for a second it synchronises everything: driver, passenger and rear temp.

d64df9bf921a2832ded4a8e00fd3ed44.jpg
869739f308a5124a7543e27e46e27980.jpg

Hi ok so you definitely have rear a/c so the problem you have is with the flap control. Pull off the cover on the right rear it will reveal the rear climate unit. On the front there is a control motor with a white arm that moves the flaps. Pull off the arm from the motor and try moving the flap to see if the temperature changes. If it does then more than likely the flap motor has had it. Is the direction part of the rear system working?

Hi ok so you definitely have rear a/c so the problem you have is with the flap control. Pull off the cover on the right rear it will reveal the rear climate unit. On the front there is a control motor with a white arm that moves the flaps. Pull off the arm from the motor and try moving the flap to see if the temperature changes. If it does then more than likely the flap motor has had it. Is the direction part of the rear system working?

When you say the direction part do you mean the little wheel that just opens and closes the air vent? Because actually one of the little thin flaps doesn’t work. It sounds like you’re talking about other flats that are inside the ducting

When you say pull off the right rear cover do you just mean the little AC or the whole panel?

By the way thank you so much for being so helpful!

Back