Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Contaminated air con!

T

Tronic

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Just my 2017 204dsg 4wd in for a routine air con service and health check. I got a call to say they can't do the air con service as their bit of kit they plug in has said my system is contaminated! This is now not covered on your warranty they go on to say.

After a little discussion they have agreed to book the car in again for further investigations under warranty.

Does anyone know what could cause a contaminated air con system? My car was bought from from factory and only been in garage once for its first service at a VW service centre.

On another note, my cabin USB port does not charge up my iPhone or iPad. I've tried two cables which I know to work but still no joy. VW say it charges their phones ok. Again any reason for this?

Thanks in advance for any comments

Rob

Airborne bacteria will come from the evaporator and more likely a minging pollen filter in front of it.
The device they plug is will be the gassing unit and deals with the refrigerant. But as I have said before, if the aircon runs okay, just leave the gas alone.

On another note, my cabin USB port does not charge up my iPhone or iPad. I've tried two cables which I know to work but still no joy. VW say it charges their phones ok. Again any reason for this?

Thanks in advance for any comments

Rob

More to do with Apple and their stupid monopoly minds than the Cali... Go Android instead!

You can buy aerosols to clean the contaminated pipes, you run the air con circulating air inside and the rather noxious gas in theory kills off the bacteria. The vehicle needs to be running and you can't be inside it obviously.
I've tried it in the past on my Alfa and never found it very effective, it helps but never quite gets into everywhere, a professional clean may well do. You may notice a smell when you turn off the aircon that is often a sign.

IPhone and iPad will charge just fine from a standard USB port. But Apple do enforce some standards to protect your device from faulty and maliciously wired adapters. Try charging your device when the device is shut down, if it accepts a charge then, but not while powered up it is likely that there is a sub-standard component in the cable or the USB port.
A potential workaround is to use your own USB adapter powered from the cigarette lighter socket. If the garage say the port is functional get them to demonstrate that using an iPhone.

Avoid the advice to go android unless you want to put your data on a device that is commonly open to malware and levels of OS/Software compatibility inferior to the class leader. Android is to smartphones what the Renault Kangoo is to campers.

Does anyone know what could cause a contaminated air con system? My car was bought from from factory and only been in garage once for its first service at a VW service centre.

too many air biscuits whilst driving - open a window :Depressed:)

I would guess it’s just everyday bacteria usually in the damper conditions then your heating warms it up and they multiply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somehow I do not think the VW Dealership or the OP are referring to Bacterial Contamination of the AirCon circuit, but more contamination of the AirCon refrigerant gas.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Back