Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How the funk did they make it so small?

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Spent most of yesterday tooling around swapping stuff from the 4 to the 6.1. Just the general paraphernalia we carry around with us as campers.

Obvs the new van is the same configuration but every single storage space, boot , kitchen cupboard, under seat etc is at least 15% smaller.
WTAF? The van exterior is clearly a lot bigger!

I have two eurocrates in the boot for stuff. Perfectly stacked one on top of the other. 60x40x18.5 slid nicely under the bed shelf. New van is about 30mm lower. Need to down size one crate.

Kitchen cupboards , width /depth, same story.

How did the VW designs squander so much usable space??

I’m trying to be positive but so far, the only two things that are an improvement are the DSG for town/traffic and the external appearance , that’s it.

Rant over.

Spent most of yesterday tooling around swapping stuff from the 4 to the 6.1. Just the general paraphernalia we carry around with us as campers.

Obvs the new van is the same configuration but every single storage space, boot , kitchen cupboard, under seat etc is at least 15% smaller.
WTAF? The van exterior is clearly a lot bigger!

I have two eurocrates in the boot for stuff. Perfectly stacked one on top of the other. 60x40x18.5 slid nicely under the bed shelf. New van is about 30mm lower. Need to down size one crate.

Kitchen cupboards , width /depth, same story.

How did the VW designs squander so much usable space??

I’m trying to be positive but so far, the only two things that are an improvement are the DSG for town/traffic and the external appearance , that’s it.

Rant over.
You can raise the bed shelf.

Why the swearing????
Totally no need for it.

It is pretty much the result of increased safety standards. Crumble zones, strengthening, etc. eat up space.

All depends on who did the conversion.
The VW California Ocean has plenty of storage under the back bed board which also lifts up. Rear seats slide forward increases storage space.

All depends on who did the conversion.
The VW California Ocean has plenty of storage under the back bed board which also lifts up. Rear seats slide forward increases storage space.
Think you’ve missed at least all of the points!
Who was swearing?

We’ve just gone from a 6 to a 6.1 and there are a few really annoyingly stupid things they have done but on the whole the 6.1 is probably better than the 6. The ride, the upper bed, DSG works better, the sliding doors for the rear cupboards to name a few. I agree about the bed extension though, overly complicated, heavy, an absolute pain to get out and refit. I’m planning to remove it and create my own out of ply.

Really don’t see the point of rants. It is what it is. If you don’t like it / get on with it then go back to T4 and live a happy life.

To answer the question I would guess that for almost all cars the ratio of interior space to exterior space has reduced over time - a consequence of improving safety. There are lots of air bags to accommodate for one thing. And crash testing and the demands it makes have increased over time.

Rants are there to get it off your chest to like minded people.
Replies are 50/50 commiserate and others will moan about the person ranting.
Look at a rant as confiding in other people.
Unloading, then moving on. :)

Watch out! This message is for the 50% that don't like rants....I feel a rant is imminent about.....

I refuse to believe you didn’t look at the storage before you bought this van. So why buy it and then get angry?

Help! I have just replaced my California beach with a 7m long coach built, I have moved all the camping gear in from the camper, the caravan, the loft and the garage, I have put a motorcycle in the garage in the motorhome, I have made the beds (which stay made all the time), I have stocked the 151 litre fridge, emptied my wardrobes in the house of all my holiday clothes and the motorhome still isn't full! Where can I get some more 5h1t to fill it (please don't tell my wife!)

FWIW I had no idea that the boot and cupboards had shrunk a bit between the T4 and the T6.1. It’s not obvious at all as the interior looks largely identical bar cosmetic differences.

So good to know. I’m not sure what I’m going to do with this knowledge since there’s not a hope I’ll ever buy a T4. But always good to know something I didn’t before :D

Back