Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to carry a dog (or child’s) trailer and bike?

Dottie

Dottie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have a doggyride trailer for my bike and think I might be able to use it on my camping trips but haven’t a clue how to carry it...tow or hang off door bracket?
https://www.doggyride.com/

Hi Dottie - that looks a lot like our dog trailer, which folds up and sits in the boot on the shelf once the wheels have been removed? Bikes then go on the bike rack. It all works very well - good luck!

Dottie, the site does not say if that is foldable. As IanE says, if foldable, it should fit in the trunk. Else, if you have one bicycle and this trailer, then, this should adjust on to the bike rack (should be easier on the towbar). The third option, that I used with a similar twin child carrier was to detach the long connector arm and load it into the rear parcel shelf.

Carrying it along is good when with dogs or kids.

A folding one definitely makes it easier.

We carried two Bromptons, two children's bikes and a trailer around Scandinavia with us. All fitted neatly onto the bike rack with the trailer sitting on the forth rail secured by long straps. (Bike 3 went one wheel in channel 2 and one wheel in channel 3; bike four with both wheels in channel 3.)
IMG_3191.JPG

Thank you
I figured it wasn’t foldable but it is 10 years old and they reckon their newer versions are safer so I might look into getting a different model.
Sadly Dottie didn’t like riding in it as a youngster and it’s only now she‘s older that she leaps into it....encouraged by food!
however I realise that it would give me more adventures to take it with me when lockdown is over.

if not foldable, I therefore should be looking at a bike rack like yours, Amarillo?

im also off to buy a portapotti ahead of demand ...!

We carried two Bromptons, two children's bikes and a trailer around Scandinavia with us. All fitted neatly onto the bike rack with the trailer sitting on the forth rail secured by long straps. (Bike 3 went one wheel in channel 2 and one wheel in channel 3; bike four with both wheels in channel 3.)
View attachment 59378
I am very keen that any dog trailer I might purchase fits into the rack like yours. Which make and model is your trailer? Is it easy to fold into the size of package seen on your photo? Is the carriage a size suitable for a 15kg cockapoo? How do you secure your bikes and trailer on the campsite?

I am very keen that any dog trailer I might purchase fits into the rack like yours. Which make and model is your trailer? Is it easy to fold into the size of package seen on your photo? Is the carriage a size suitable for a 15kg cockapoo? How do you secure your bikes and trailer on the campsite?
It was a Burley Honey Bee trailer designed for two children. It needs some tool free disassembly to pack into its bag. We have a 4m cable and padlock to lock everything together, also lock everything to the rack when loaded.

We have a DoggyRide Mini dog trailer, but our dog (a Havanese) only weighs about 6kg. The trailer wheels come off the trailer and it folds down, so easily fits under the rear parcel shelf or we sometimes put it behind the driver’s seat if the rear is full. we have the T6 bike rack that hangs on the rear door and can carry up to 4 bikes, though we only normally take 2. We usually just lock the bikes to a tree, a post or a fence on site, using a couple of D Locks with long cables, or sometimes lock them to the bike rack if there’s nothing available. Some sites like Ferry Meadows and Clumber Park, do have a problem with bike thefts. Clumber Park has a lock up container for bikes.
Here is our trailer on a ride. DoggyRide do bigger versions of the trailer with a similar design.

49125CB5-9FFB-4D80-945A-CED798CC960B.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Amarillo and Magic Bus. It's useful to know that your models of trailer pack small enough to fit on the rack or boot. I've found a bike hire place not far from us in Hexham, which has a kid's trailer to hire. I'll see how Harvey likes it before taking the plunge to purchase a folding model.

Back