Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to fix control panel display

S

surfymunky

Hi,

I recently had the LCD display for the roof control etc decide to go down to displaying just a couple of lines of junk. As they are really expensive units, I got a friend, who is a pcb designer to have a look at it. The solution that he came up with is here...http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... om-a-PCB-/ It was a no-lose situation to have a go at a fix as it was un-useable as it was. So if you are in the same situation, then this could help.

regards

Paul

A very interesting guide, albeit not for those of a nervous disposition. :laugh2

Thanks for sharing. :thumb

Great instructable- really clear and detailed.
Fingers crossed I don't need it though

Excellent instructable, but I hope I never have to even think about doing it.... too fiddly !

Hi Paul (surfymunky), this is Robin here. I started a topic on this entitled 'Central Control Panel Issues' a few weeks ago, and I wish I had seen your message earlier! I was experiencing exactly the same gobble-de-gook on the LCD as you describe and after a number of calls / conversations with VW (incl CS in Leeds), they offered me a 30% discount off a replacement part (as goodwill) which I was pleased to accept this week. My Cali is 4 and a half years old and the problem is quite different from all the other folk with knob problems (see the more recent topic on this on the Forum) as it seems to be affecting much later vehicles - fortunately all those within their warranty period. It's not clear from your message (at least to me!) if your friend's repair was actually carried out successfully - I assume so, but confirmation would be appreciated! I still have the defective unit and I was going to ask Stu to have a look at it (he did kindly offer), but do you think it might be possible for your friend to assess/ repair it? - for a sensible commercial rate of course!

Look at the link & on the last page you will see how successful the fix is. Still a few missing lines but very usable.

Thanks for that Andy - I didn't appreciate the Instructable notes went on over so many pages!

To Robinf,

Hi Robinf, my control panel apart from a few lines is now very useable again. I can ask my friend, but I doubt that he would do any kind of commercial fix work as he has lots of other stuff on his plate.

regards

Paul