Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to get an urgent booking with a VW service centre.

andyinluton

andyinluton

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Anyone any ideas as to how get warranty repairs done quickly on a van?

Ive got a roof that won't stay up on one side, a manual mode on the gearbox that doesn't work & a gas ring that won't stay lit.

Earliest any dealer can fit me in is end of July, if I want a courtesy vehicle (panel van) its mid August.

They need the van for a few days which makes no courtesy vehicle a real pain when the dealer is an hour and a half away.
We are also booked to be away end of July so would need to cancel holiday.

I am thinking just pop the roof up at home, let it drop far enough that the control panel doesn't work & call VW assist in the hope that they would arrange urgent repairs etc. Anyone any better ideas?

I’ve found anything deemed to be safety critical, particularly if you have no alternative than to keep using the van in the meantime, and they’ll find a way to fit you in.

Hi Andy,

any van that comes into a dealer on the back of a truck gets priority.
make sure you point out all the issues to the VW assist guy so he can list it on his handover sheet.

VW assist will arrange a hire vehicle, the hire vehicle will be specified to be similar to your van and have the same number of seats (unless requested otherwise)

the challenge will be finding a hire co, that has a van in stock.

edit: does the gas cut off when the ring won’t stay lit ?

Last edited:
VW assist will arrange a hire vehicle, the hire vehicle will be specified to be similar to you van and have the same number of seats (unless requested otherwise)

edit: does the gas cut off when the ring won’t stay lit ?
I'm not fussy anything with 4wheels that gets me home would be fine.

Yes, gas cuts off, its the thermocouple(?) one ring works fine, the other only stays lit if you hold the control down, its never worked.

@andyinluton I would use the AA assist route. - Priority if booked in via them.

I'm not fussy anything with 4wheels that gets me home would be fine.

Yes, gas cuts off, its the thermocouple(?) one ring works fine, the other only stays lit if you hold the control down, its never worked.
Presumably you’ve got the gas inspection sticker on the tailgate ?
How did that gas appliance pass the factory tests ?
I would be making a fuss about the issues and raising the questions about potential safety and the apparent issue that the appliance had supposedly passed the factory safety test, despite the appliance not working from new and more specifically your concerns for your families safety whilst using the van, particularly as the gas appliance is known to be faulty from new despite it having been signed of by the factory and the dealer ?
VW have to take it seriously and cover their duty of care, treating it as a priority.

Last edited:
Thank you for the most kind offer, I am genuinly overwhelmed at such a generous offer.

I am sure I will get VW to sort in time, if not we will manage with what we've got, its an annoyance rather than a showstopper.

To be honest its a first world problem - it will be our 4th holiday of the year & a warm up for the main one. If the worst comes to the worst we could just cancel.

OK,
Not quite all going to plan. whilst sorting the van out for this weekend I put the roof up & it locked into the neither up nor down position. Called VW assist & a very helpful chap turned up already armed with all the info from VW as to what was wrong & what needed doing.
We emptied the boot so he could gain access to the rear battery & he disconnected all 3 batteries to reset the system & lowered the roof. He then said VW advise it needs a software reset but its down to me to book it in.
Earliest available booking is now early August!
I've been on to VW customer services & they have raised a case & they have said that they will get back to me within a week.

I have already warned them that I will be calling VW assist every morning to come & put the roof down for me, after a few days they might take the hint.

I did learn that when you disconnect the starter battery it upsets a lot of the safety systems & you will get lots of warning lights when you start up.

The way to clear the warnings is to turn the steering wheel from full lock to full lock to reset and calibrate everything.

Wow. VW really have fallen off the perch havent they. Software problems seem to be a group speciality. All these issues from buying to service to repairs.

I did learn that when you disconnect the starter battery it upsets a lot of the safety systems & you will get lots of warning lights when you start up.
I recently saw a random U tube video by an American mechanic demo-ing a device that plugged into the vehicle port and prevented all the vehicle systems going down when the battery was disconnected.
I didn't follow it up, unfortunately.

I recently saw a random U tube video by an American mechanic demo-ing a device that plugged into the vehicle port and prevented all the vehicle systems going down when the battery was disconnected.
I didn't follow it up, unfortunately.
Thats the last thing you want in this situation. The whole point of disconnecting all 3 batteries is to reset all the systems.

Our 1 year old vw Passat has been in the dealership for 4 months with a software issue ,the update so far doesn’t exist,no idea when or if it will be repaired

Update from workshop is that it needs new hydraulic rams & new gearbox selector in addition to the software updates.
That’s frustrating. Glad you’re under warranty. Good luck with the fix.

I'm a bit more laid back about it today, lost last weekends trip ( but the weather would have been awful) cancelled this weekends, but due to go to the lakes in 2 weeks time, as long as its fixed by then I'll be reasonable. If its not ready by then there will be trouble.....

We have already managed a couple of long weekends and a 10 day trip this year, so compared to those that are still waiting for vans we are doing ok.

Hopefully bad luck.
But it’s disappointing to hear of so many issues Andy.

I had a similar issue two years ago. Wanted a few things sorting before a big trip. I was told 8 weeks…
With some nice talking to another dealership, they agreed to fit me because of past custom.

Volkswagen brand slowly going down the toilet…

Back