How to price your Cali

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Sticking my head up about the parapet, I'm proposing a bit of a formula that starts to suggest how a Cali should be valued (Brave I know!).
I know this type of exercise won't appeal to everyone but it's what my brain does when there is no camping to be done!

a) We take a USED baseline model as follows:
140SE from the current year (2014), Manual gearbox, Averaging 10K miles / annum.
Private Seller. Average Spec (ie some extras) We give this baseline van a value of £40k

b) Make the following AGE adjustments:
For a van averaging 10k miles / year deduct the annual depreciation of £1500 (so deduct £1500 from a 2013, £3000 from a 2012......£6000 from a 2010 etc)
For a van averaging 20k miles / year, the depreciation increases to £2500 / year
For a van averaging 30k miles / year, the depreciation increases to £3500 / year

c) For a 180hp add £2k

d) For a DSG gearbox add £2k for a 180hp, add £1k for a 140hp

e) If you are a dealer with a good Cali reputation (like VWcampersales, or Main Dealer) add £2k

f) For pre Facelift vans, deduct a one-off £2k.
Tiptronic SUBTRACT £1k (controversial, see below)
174hp over 130hp add £250

g) Seasonal adjustment: From the first few sunny days of February, through to June, add £1500. In July and Aug, add £500.

I've run many Cali Ads through this formula I think it is a reasonable start.

If you want to add to this...........
Allowance also needs to be made for the smaller spec items (510 / bike rack / leather etc) but that's a bit too complex for me after a glass of wine. Perhaps best to say that an above average spec adds £1k, a poorly spec'd van deducts £1k. (Maybe more on a newer van, less as they get older).

My head says colour hasn't too much of an impact, as if 5% of new buyers prefer white, then 5% of used buyers will be looking for white)...but my wallet would only let me buy Silver or Grey.

There isn't enough data to get a feel for 4Motion but would something like +£2K feel about right?

Valuing a van with particularly low miles (ie 5 years old with 15K miles) also needs some thinking about.

My controversial treatment of Tiptronic gearboxes on pre facelift vans is based on a feeling that unlike DSG, it seems to have a bigger hit on fuel consumption and the possibility of higher repair costs become a greater worry on older vans.

There we have it. What do you think?

I've tried to follow this and would now be pleased to sell my Cali for £2.6 million. Maths never was my strong point. :cool:

I think you over estimated the value of your beer. Send me mileage, age and rough spec and let me see what I get............

Beer is priceless :cool:

Do you want a job? :D

I did think about including an ex-hire deduction, but decided some companies (no names mentioned) make a virtue out of it, others not! ;)

Wouldn't mind a test or two to see how well it works (beyond the for sale ads where it's pretty good).

Interesting concept indeed.

Impossible to get it right, so defo appreciated the effort!

Following these rules pricing an ex-demo / nearly new would be too expensive (as hardly any money would be removed from full price)

I would never pay £2k for an 180 over a 140, £2k becomes a massive amount the less the Cali is, for example at £32k and increase to £34k is a 6% difference.

There's no mention of Cali's dropping out of warranty, a massive factor prices should drop £1-2k when out of warranty (especially when this is when people trade them in)

As Cali's are more popular & older more and more coming onto the market, once out of warranty it comes down to what is available as a combination, for example I would never buy one without 3 Zone Climate, in certain colours, without parking sensors. However I wouldn't pay £2k 'extra' for these, it's just when the 'right' combination turns up.

I'd say for example that Toffee Brown Cali's don't sell as well as Grey ones (from seeing a very well priced couple of Toffee Brown Cali's advertised) however someone will love Toffee Brown and get a bargain :)

I'd say it's a great idea, but I certainly wouldn't put so much value of options (140 vs 180) etc. Most of these become subjective.

Looks like some recent entries in the For Sale section could have done with a formula ;)

reserves said:
Looks like some recent entries in the For Sale section could have done with a formula ;)
I tested them too and probably shared your opinion, but it is only a theory and the market may prove it wrong. There are a few from vw dealers on autotrader that are cheaper than the formula, unless they've forgotten the vat again!

Back