Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

how to remove head unit from a California T5.1 comfortline

N

Northbridge

Vehicle
N/A
Okay, so this is a bit of a stress post. I’m sitting in my van, trying to figure out how I get the radio out, so I can install my rcd330, which I just recieved today. I thought I had I covered, but to my horror, EVERY SINGLE VIDEO of t5 radio removal, is not for the t5.1, which means, I can not just remove the tray and 2 screws from above. I can’t get the surround loose, even though I’ve janked it until I think it was about to break.

Anyone got a tip, or a video? Thanks!

Bit confused. Ours is a 2014 5.1 and definitely has the two screws under the the top dash tray.
Can you get the tray off and see what is underneath?

2038AC6C-0EA7-4372-8466-B49862B9CE52.jpeg Maybe I’m the confused one. My Cali is from 2014, and is a t5. But it does not resemble any of the videos online. The top panel is the on with a lid that you can push open.

Doesn't look like my 5.1 dash?

I’ve been googling. Seems like I should get removal keys? I’ve just tried to cut up credit card, but even though I can push them in, an it feels like I’m triggering something with them, the radio doesn’t budge.

IMG_0022.jpg this is mine, the vents and top tray are different to yours? Could the European & UK models vary?

I think some of the European models had a different dashboard to UK. Might explain the problem

You have the dash from a comfortline.

Yes you will need the removal keys and there is no need to
remove the top tray.

You have the dash from a comfortline.

Yes you will need the removal keys and there is no need to
remove the top tray.

Boom! I love this place!

Have you tried this? Will it all make sense, when I get the keys? As I stated, I tried with DIY’s from a credit card. It did less than nothing.

Yes, Ideally you need 4 keys 2 top 2 bottom but you might
get away with 2 and ease the top out a little, then the bottom.

Boom! I love this place!

Have you tried this? Will it all make sense, when I get the keys? As I stated, I tried with DIY’s from a credit card. It did less than nothing.
Thank you!

Man! I can’t believe that I had no idea, there was a difference. And the hassle of googling something that simply doesn’t exist on the internet. I’m considering making a video of me slotting in this 4 keys, when I get them. ;)

I had half the car disassembled ffs.. :(

I have a 2014 T5.1 Transporter and have changed the head unit numerous times. The top tray just pulls out, prise it from the front edge first (nearest the windscreen) and it will pull up. Be careful if you have the cig lighter wiring up there. Next, two torx screws on the top edge of the trim surround panel and this pulls forward. Then four torx screws to release the head unit and pull it forward. Undo the aerial connectors and the square block connector and it's out. The square one has a plastic securing clip that pushes away from the head unit.
Hope that helps :)

I have a 2014 T5.1 Transporter and have changed the head unit numerous times. The top tray just pulls out, prise it from the front edge first (nearest the windscreen) and it will pull up. Be careful if you have the cig lighter wiring up there. Next, two torx screws on the top edge of the trim surround panel and this pulls forward. Then four torx screws to release the head unit and pull it forward. Undo the aerial connectors and the square block connector and it's out. The square one has a plastic securing clip that pushes away from the head unit.
Hope that helps :)
Already established op has a different dash & your instruction will not work.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

image.jpg image.jpg So, here I am writing from my van again. Got the keys, got the head unit out. I can now confirm that rcd330 is in fact NOT just an easy plug & play, in a comfort line california. It doesn’t fit inside the hole, that the old radio left. It’s too narrow. But only because the old radio had some sort of fitting.m, and the sides of the rcd330 has some kind of metal, properly for fitting, on each side. I’m inclined to cut a small ridge in the old fitting, which is plastic. It actually seems like my only option.

Okay then.... I’m fuming. I got the surround of, which did not feel good at all! It had to be bend, and I felt like I could break any moment. But it didn’t. Instead it lead me to a realization, that I’ve been dreading: it doesn’t fit. The differences in the dash, from a regular t5, does that there apparently are less space, and as such, the head unit does not fit. Not by a long shot. And until someone here, replies me that they’ve installed an rcd330 in a t5 comfortline, I’m sadly convinced that I have wasted 160£.. (please be that someone who knows what I can do!! )

Let it be said that I have zero experience in this. This is the first time I’ve ever taken a screwdriver to a car. So I don’t know this, but will a professional fitter still be able to make it work? Is it a mater of money?

Oh sh1t.
I think you need the one with the square corners, something like an RNS510.246_vw_t5_mulivan_rns510-b-2.jpg

Back