Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How would you redesign the Cali interior?

I would like to have an Ocean without the wardrobe, and an option for an exterior gas BBQ point. Otherwise I'm pretty happy.

Dash mounted cup holders that will open with the front seats swivelled

being able to swivel the rear Ocean bench to face the fridge, allowing access to boot and proper access to wardrobe next to fridge. having a walk through from boot to front

The ideal design is very much a personal thing. As everyone has different circumstances and needs, the standard VW Cali formula for each model, will at best always be a compromise. For us, we already own our near perfect Cali.

Without starting another SE/Ocean v Beach ding dong, we started with a fully loaded 4motion SE and changed to a 2wd seven seat Beach. The SE was an ex demo van so the spec was already chosen for us. Anyway after running the SE along side a seven seat Beach for several months, we quickly worked out which one suited us best. So long story short we sold the SE and are now on our second seven seat T6 Beach. These T6 Beaches are multi purpose über flexible vehicles that fulfill all of our transport and camping needs superbly. However I said "near perfect" so there are some areas where improvements could be made.

1. The positioning of the EHU trip switch thingy is ridiculous.

Having it mounted up inside the rear N/S trim is clearly an after thought. It's only saving grace is that once it's in the ON position you shouldn't need to get at it again......unless it trips out of course! This is just as well because you need to be a contortionist with child like arms to reach it under normal circumstances. Actually seeing it is impossible without a mirror and a torch. If like us, you have a Multiflex Board and a pull out boot tray, then things get even more dificult. Forget reaching it with those in place. This safety feature is virtually impossible to get at. And it gets worse. If, again like us, your van has the removable tow bar option. This item, when stowed, also blocks the way still further making access almost impossible.

Come on VW, why not mount this trip switch so that, 1. It can be seen and 2. You can actually get to it? Perhaps behind a clear hinged protective plastic flap in the interior trim. The upper rear near side pilar trim would be the ideal spot.

2. The location of the jack, warning triangle, tow hitch etc is not good.

Since most people with a campervan will have a boot full of stuff a lot of the time, access to wheel changing equipment isn't good on any Calis. To avoid pulling everything out of the boot in the rain in order to get to the jack, why not stow the wheel changing clobber under the bonnet instead. The tow hitch can stay where it is. Whilst I haven't measured the space, in front of the vehicle battery seems like a good place to stow this kit. If you get a puncture it's readily available without pulling the contents of the boot out on the hard shoulder.

3. The Three Zone Climatronic Aircon needs a master control switch in front.

The fact that the third control panel in the rear is within easy reach of which ever of our grandchildren has secured the command seat, has led to much sibling baiting. "She's turned it up to hot again!" Or "I'm freezing!". Yes you can use the SYNC button to overide the third control panel but there is no facility to isolate that rear panel. All the blighters have to do is fiddle with it again and the SYNC function is overridden.

4. The rear window blind is a poor design in that it is far too gappy at each side.

It lets in too much light. I'm currently waiting for the club shop to have those Brandrup silver screens in stock for the rear window.

5. The front drivers seat could do with more forward/aft travel adjustment.

I just find it's travel a little limited compared to other vehicles especially if I want to recline the seat back for a nap.

6. Swivelling the drivers seat on all models could be more user friendly.

Once you have developed a system, no problems. However for many, especially those new to the Cali, this function is not only tricky but involves a lot of unnecessary faffing about. Isn't it about time the seat slider was marked with the optimum position to turn the seat or better still indents in the slider track which stops the seat in the perfect position when being slid forward?

7. Why no Nappa Leather option like it's sister, the Caravelle?

This would be very practical in a van of this type and something I would have specced if I could have. The nearest thing at present is the faux leather/man made Alcantara option. Whilst I'm sure they are very hard wearing, I wasn't prepared to pay out that much for what amounts to plastic seats.

The T6-1 Beach models are very nice but personally I can't identify anything on them that would represent a significant improvement for us.

Last edited:
For me its

1) Have a SWB/ MWB and LWB options - slighty longer upper bed
2) Pop top roof has hinging options to allow the current arrangement or full lift like a roof top tent
3) More confortable seats and a shaped bench seat
4) Electronic handbrake
5) Clear sight rear view mirror (similar to Landrover)
6)Slide out boot as standard
7)Air conditioning when on EHU

To be honest I've never needed to access the EHU switch in three years.
The spare wheel tools/tow hitch stored in the rear of the bench is not as problematic on a 5seats or ocean as you can slide the bench forward and access it from the sliding door opening...
Somehow that space under the bench had to be used. I don't think it's wrong for vw to place items that will be used rarely in the less convenient storage spaces.

being able to swivel the rear Ocean bench to face the fridge, allowing access to boot and proper access to wardrobe next to fridge. having a walk through from boot to front
Sorry but apart from the engineering overhead I can’t see this as a desirable feature @Calimili
If the bench was rotated to face the fridge, it would then render the side door unusable, and only a very short person would be able to walk through from the open tailgate :)

To be honest I've never needed to access the EHU switch in three years.
The spare wheel tools/tow hitch stored in the rear of the bench is not as problematic on a 5seats or ocean as you can slide the bench forward and access it from the sliding door opening...
Somehow that space under the bench had to be used. I don't think it's wrong for vw to place items that will be used rarely in the less convenient storage spaces.
My comments mainly refer to the Beach variant. There isn't an issue getting to the "EHU switch" on a Coast or an Ocean. Try it on a Beach with a boot full of gear and you will see what I mean.

I agree that getting at the jack etc is a lot easier on the Coast and Ocean models but again my comments refer mainly to the Beach models. Placing these items in "less convenient storage spaces" is all very well until you actually need to get at them. The chances are that it will probably be dark and raining when that happens. Being able to access these tools without transferring the contents of the boot to the roadside has to be an worthwhile design improvement.

My comments mainly refer to the Beach variant. There isn't an issue getting to the "EHU switch" on a Coast or an Ocean. Try it on a Beach with a boot full of gear and you will see what I mean.

I agree that getting at the jack etc is a lot easier on the Coast and Ocean models but again my comments refer mainly to the Beach models. Placing these items in "less convenient storage spaces" is all very well until you actually need to get at them. The chances are that it will probably be dark and raining when that happens. Being able to access these tools without transferring the contents of the boot to the roadside has to be an worthwhile design improvement.
apologies Borris, that's right, you were speaking about the beach and I answered referring to Ocean/Coast.
Another feature that would solve a few of these storage issues would be a lockabke storage space accessible from the outside where to store this type of miscellaneous items, as an addition to space above the engine battery.

Sorry but apart from the engineering overhead I can’t see this as a desirable feature @Calimili
If the bench was rotated to face the fridge, it would then render the side door unusable, and only a very short person would be able to walk through from the open tailgate :)
but you could load a bike...
I use a shortened rear shelf, so the sideways bench would leave some space to enter from the side door. It would free access to the wardrobe and to pick items from the boot from the inside.
just food for thoughts...

Old thread I know, but just back from our first 'proper' multi-night trip in our current van (T6 Ocean) I already have a mental list of annoyances now that I've got over the novelty of the obviously clever bits. Some of my niggles have been addressed on the newer 6.1 variants (improved wardrobe doors & access, rear bed lifty-up thing, improved plug & usb sockets, shower option).

Obvious areas for improvement (on what we now know will be a successor to the 6.1) include:
1) Ability to remove or retract rear headrests such that they don't intrude on valuable storage space when bed is down. Ideally there would be a clear run of space to slide boxes all the way in from the back. The current design is beyond stupid and incredibly lazy by VW (20 years ago). The RIB bed offered by converters seems to address thus.
2) Srandard handbrake seat swivel annoyance
3) LWB option.
4) Hot water tap option (and shower where applicable. obviously it would gave to external).
5) Reconfiguration of the cupboards/wardrobe to a useable space
6) Storage options / airline locker above kitchen area (again, something that is done well by some converters and would be an easy addition).
7) Pull out windscreen blinds. Current options are fiddly & prone to fouling
8) The wasted space between the pull out drawer and the kitchen/wardrobe. I gather there is now an optional 'mini-drawer' but it us expensive.

Better insulation all around to begin with the floor and the rails...
Less noisy parking heater and better heat distribution.
Easier swivelling of the seats

For the rest, there is really little that is not clever and lightweight designed. For me, the current layout is fine. Not seen any convert that pleases me more than a Cali. Safety is one of the most important qualities of the design. Everything is bolted to the chassis. Water tanks, gas bottle, kitchen - it will all stay in place when you hit another car or wall (trees should always be avoided).

If there is one thing that drives me mad it is keyboard warriors who believe they know better that VW engineers. Accusing VW of being lazy is a bit arrogant don’t you think? Did you stop to think for a second why the bench seat was engineered the way it was without through access? It’s a crash tested certified item. To design it with a great chunk missing in the middle would have meant a much more complex/heavy structure than the one you bought. Did you want to pay more?

Agree with the handbrake just gets in the way. Also a heated windscreen with quick clear like ford have. Sorry about swearing on a vw forum :)
Latest Cali's have the heated windscreen, its on mine and works great.
Plus one for electronic handbrake, which is in fact the only real change for me .

Last edited:
Latest Cali's have the heated windscreen, its on mine and works great.
Plus one for electronic handbrake, which is in fact the only real change for me .
Is heated windscreen now standard. We have it on our Beach and yes it is really useful.
Going back to Lee Van Clef’s post, there are design reasons for all the elements quoted, but for the headrests I don’t understand why they are removable on the Beach but not Ocean. A dash mounted/electric handbrake should have been done a long time ago. Think I preferred my old T2 handbrake!
Adapting a Cali for personal use is part of the fun in my opinion :)

The seat covers are cheap and nasty and prone to staining. A leather option as standard would be fair given the cost.

If there is one thing that drives me mad it is keyboard warriors who believe they know better that VW engineers. Accusing VW of being lazy is a bit arrogant don’t you think? Did you stop to think for a second why the bench seat was engineered the way it was without through access? It’s a crash tested certified item. To design it with a great chunk missing in the middle would have meant a much more complex/heavy structure than the one you bought. Did you want to pay more?
In fairness, in my opinion, Lee.Van.Cleef's post doesn't warrant the label keyboard warrier - the post was not particularly aggressive or abusive and he/she didn't hide their identity. I took the point being asserted to mean that there have been few changes made to the interior layout over the years particularly with new innovations and technology now available. An electronic handbrake would be great and rear headrests that remove would be a big plus - none of which would significantly add to the cost and non of which reflects on VW engineer's competence. Maybe VW as a company though are being Laissez-faire in this sense.

Electronic handbrake gets my vote, plus option to remove rear headrests, why you can’t just pull them out like most car headrests. Rest of layout is just fine.

Electronic handbrake gets my vote, plus option to remove rear headrests, why you can’t just pull them out like most car headrests. Rest of layout is just fine.
That was my point. In the Beach you can do exactly that. In fact we have them permanently removed for better rear visibility and the dog doesn’t really need them :)

Back