Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What design changes would you like to see on a T7 California?

Below features should be included as standard:

- Over the air software updates.
- Live vehicle tracking.
- Programable App based controls for preheating / defrosting.
- 360 Degree Camera that records every journey, with option to activate when parked.
- Blind spot camera which activates when indicating.
- App based Service booking.
- Traffic light, traffic sign recognition. ACC
- Autopilot capability....
Apart from the 360 degree camera you've got most of that on a T6.1

Having recently sold our SE due to it not getting the regular use we had intended, I continue to miss it with every day that passes. We are now using our Beach. This vehicle gets used every day for a whole host of different purposes and a very nice and supremely practical vehicle it is too. However, that doesn't stop me missing our SE. It was our personal self contained escape capsule and we had many fantastic adventures in it/her.

It has just occurred to me that by the time our circumstances have changed sufficiently to enable a full fat Cali to once again become a practical proposition for us two old gits, I am hoping that VW will have introduced an improved T7 California. Not that there is much wrong with tha current T5/6 but I for one can think of several improvements that I would like to see on the next generation Cali. Here's my list:

1. Some form of ultra efficient and ultra clean hybrid propulsion system. Possibly diesel/electric or petrol/ electric. I personally don't believe that a fully electric Cali is a realistic practical proposition in my life time and I'm not that ancient.

2. A carbon fibre roof with built in solar panels.

3. Some form of hot water heating system possibly encorporated into the parking heater.

4. The option of the manual roof on the Ocean version.

5. A complete redesign of the wardrobe/rear cupboard area of the interior. I always felt that the wardrobe didn't work that well as a storage space.

6. Any future T7 design rather than a warmed over T6 mk2, could be based on a modular system so that you buy the base van with parking heater and swivel seats etc and then add the elements that you require to meet your personal needs. There are several companies that already offer removable pods etc. why can't the interior be designed by VW to be easily removable modular self contained units that aid greater versatility. You could still achieve the same layout but with the ability to remove or adapt it. Servicing and repairs to certain elements would also be easier.

7. The top spec headlights across the the range.

8. Full leather upholstery as a option.

What would you like to see?
I agree with most of these comments - and those Im not sure about is just that I dont have the knowledge or sufficient information or experience. I LOVE your energy efficient creative thinking! @vw

Some great features on the forthcoming Rivian that could be incorporated into the next California including:
Self-levelling suspension
A tailgate bench
An air compressor
A removable Bluetooth speaker
A decent rechargeable torch built into the door

Last edited:
Theres a couple of GC bits that would be nice, the drop down handbrake, heated steering wheel, fully adjustable front seats and the strip light fitted on the outside over the sliding door.

Also some decent area/ reading lights when sitting in swivelled front seats, from the leisure battery. More logical camping heating system control screens.

Memory front seats would be a godsend. Once I swivel it back from camp mode I can never get the back angle and distance from pedals exactly the same.

It is interesting looking at these wish lists. The vast majority are all either possible or available via a conversion. This is in essence what we did. We found an excellent converter that would provide what we wanted, as far as was practical. They then provided what we requested. We are delighted with the result and with our converters after sales service. Should we decide to change/upgrade we will do the same. We have no regrets not going the California route, good vehicle that it is.

Memory front seats would be a godsend. Once I swivel it back from camp mode I can never get the back angle and distance from pedals exactly the same.

A pencil mark on the seat runners helps with this. I also always had the arm rest horizontal when driving, pull them down & the backrest is at the right angle again when the armrest is horizontal.

It is interesting looking at these wish lists. The vast majority are all either possible or available via a conversion. This is in essence what we did. We found an excellent converter that would provide what we wanted, as far as was practical. They then provided what we requested. We are delighted with the result and with our converters after sales service. Should we decide to change/upgrade we will do the same. We have no regrets not going the California route, good vehicle that it is.
I guess you need the “Why choose a Cali instead of a converted panel van” thread ;).

Did we consider and look at conversions, before we thought about a Cali. Some friends have conversions, which are great. Then we hired a new Cali, and we were sold. It’s part head, but also heart.

Back