Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hull - Hessle Van centre

G

glide841

VIP Member
Please, anyone considering using this dealer, think again...

Took my Cali in this week, merely to submit a second claim to extend the front part of the roof repair to the elevating part.

Interior wise, an immaculate van went in... and this is what came out...

Greasy finger prints on the headlining above both cab doors and the sliding door, obviously where they've grabbed hold when standing on the steps carrying out the inspection. The last pic shows where the drivers door card fabric has being scuffed, presumably where they've caught it climbing up or down to inspect the roof. I Can 100% guarantee this was not there when left it with them. These pics show less than half of the carnage inherited which includes more grime around the control console panel and other marks on a previously impeccable headlining.

Me being slightly anal, the drivers seat and foot well was covered for winter anyway so really didn't expect any issues!

As you will all appreciate more than I suspect the dealer will, this deeply saddened and annoyed me. I really couldn't believe my eyes when I saw how they could treat my pride and joy. As you can imagine a strongly worded email was sent to the dealers general manager demanding what the hell had happened!

I will update you with their response.
FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender (1).jpg FullSizeRender (2).jpg

Very disappointing I would be the same the sad thing is I watched my roof being checked and photographed and there was no need to open the doors to check the roof front section and main roof to make the my claim
What was the service managers attitude at the time.

I had some work done at Breeze Totton Southampton, air bag out of seat so the fabric had to be taken off the seat. On collection service manager walked me out to the van a check it with me. Any issues such as oil marks would have picked up prior to leaving the garage.

Last edited:
The same thing happened to me at my local VW van centre when they tried to fix the roof blind and got finger prints above the sun visors. Then two weeks later when having a puncture repaired at a garage, the mechanic did the same thing, but on the door card and seat. Annoyed !! On both occasions they used brake cleaner to remove it and that worked fine. The tyre company also offered to valet the area for me too, but. I didn't want to tempt anything else going wrong!

Quick glance around the cab at eye level on collection and all seemed ok. It was dark however and I didn't think to check overhead, mainly looking round seats, carpets.

Next morning jumped in it in the daylight and when closing the door I immediately spotted the damage. This prompted me to check everywhere else, when I found the rest.

Phoned them straight away but as it was Saturday I was told only the sales manager was in who had a queue of customers waiting for him. Email sent straight away, so expect a response tomorrow.

Collecting in the dark does makes it difficult to spot such oil marks.(and damage) I have seen issues on the forum before hence my being worried when I had internal work done inside the van ( passage seat air bag) and a good check on collection.
I wonder how many California's are seen at hull compared with builders vans, It should not make any difference to respecting owners vans but I wonder if the people doing the work get a bit complacent. Hope you get it sorted and made good as new without too much fuss.

Prior to it going in the warranty guy mentioned he had checked 6 other California's as I was enquiring how many had corrosion to the elevating roof part too. Not sure if they're on here or have had any issues. You may have a point about the complacency as I expect like most dealers they mainly work on builders vans, as you say though this shouldn't make a difference!

Although I don't really want them touching it again I assume they'll reply offering to clean it. If I'm not 100% happy with the result of this. Iii demand a replacement headlining when it goes in for the roof doing in March.

I am sure the oil marks will come off with no issue the door part with will have to be replaced. I concur it SHOULD make no difference if they are working on 50k Cali or a builders van

After a few emails back and forth I received an apology and an offer to valet inside and out. Didn't get much of a reply about the door card damage apart from that they'd look at it to try and work out how it happened!

I also asked how they'd washed it and why when I'd not given permission and it was brought in immaculate. I always refuse washing as I've spotted them round the back with the yard brush. No reply was given. Being pearlescent black I nearly died when they said they'd washed it. Luckily, on inspection in sunlight I seem to have gotten away with it.

Having completely lost trust in them I opted not to take it back fearing they'd do more damage.

A bit of autoglym interior shampoo has done the trick on the headlining and strangely enough an electric shaver on the door card has completely removed the pulls from the fabric.

I was promised feedback on why my Cali had been treat so roughly when they looked into what had happened, and as expected... no reply.

It's now away at Shorade getting the roof done, fingers crossed they are more professional.

... so now on the look out for another dealer in the Yorks/Humber area, any recommendations?

We had the same kind of treatment from Hatfield VW. Ours went in for a handbrake adjustment. When we got it back with the steering wheel was filthy (as where my hands after driving it) the handbrake handle was also filthy. Luckily I had some baby wipes so it was sorted quickly and painlessly.. still shouldn't have happened thou imo

Try speaking to VW customer services about your treatment and make a formal complaint.. they won't learn any other way as it seems they don't care... check out whether they have a twitter account.. I find a public shaming can work wonders

Last edited:
Hi a little bit late on this one looking at the date on the post but we had problems with our cali at Hull, I won't go into details but I wouldn't even let them near a builders van.
If your looking for someone to service your cali in the hull area I now use Autotechnica down Calvert lane. They obviously aren't a vw dealer but are VAG master technicians and interested in what they're doing, they always use genuine parts and are a pleasure to deal with, I have had all sorts done there over the last few years on several of my cars and my 2011 180dsg california, and now would not go anywhere else. Ask for Ben or Andy

Good info, thanks for that. Often the case that the small independents give the best service. Main dealer... nice showroom, comfy seats, coffee and wifi doesn't always reflect the care (or lack of) given to your vehicle behind the scenes.

Perhaps unfair to tar them all with the same brush. Following this my next service was at West Yorkshire Van Centre which was carried out without issue, as it should be. As a precaution though I asked to skip the washing, didn't want to risk them attacking the pearlescent black with a yard brush!

Back