Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I Did NOT expect this with a new 6.1 4 motion!!

Well after picking up our new 6.1 204 4 motion, we’ve wasted no time in driving to Cornwall today….I’m genuinely amazed to have got 40mpg from this new engine. Hats off to VW for working their magic on this new unit to improve the MGG!

View attachment 79365
We've been quite surprised also, doing high 30's on most trips.

Well after picking up our new 6.1 204 4 motion, we’ve wasted no time in driving to Cornwall today….I’m genuinely amazed to have got 40mpg from this new engine. Hats off to VW for working their magic on this new unit to improve the MGG!

View attachment 79365

MPG on the multifunction display (MFD) needs to be confirmed with brim to brim measurements. Ours is over optimistic by 5 - 10%, so an indicated 40mpg on the MFD might be as little at 36mpg. Nevertheless, that is superb for a vehicle of its size.

MPG on the multifunction display (MFD) needs to be confirmed with brim to brim measurements. Ours is over optimistic by 5 - 10%, so an indicated 40mpg on the MFD might be as little at 36mpg. Nevertheless, that is superb for a vehicle of its size.
We do brim to brim and use the Road Trip App you recommended quite some time ago.
We rarely see below 37 and regularly get 37+ upwards to 43mpg on distance runs.

i must be doing something wrong 25mpg is good for me.
That sounds good compared with what we got 2+ years ago going up into the Pyrenees to Andorra, But saying that we did get 70mpg + coming down.

View attachment 79365
Awesome, best I get is about 32 mpg

That's a very heavy right foot you have there!! :shocked Or are you only short around town trippin'?
I wouldn't be happy with that!
Even on the 300 miles trip back from the dealer which was all motorway it only achieved 36.1mpg so 40mpg is a dream

• Wow
Reactions: Sad
You can’t really take any notice of the VW fuel computer reading. It’s lovely when you see readings of 42-44MPG but when you actually fill it brim to brim or shut off to shut off the readings are definitely not the same. We often get computer readings of 42 but when filled its more like 36-37 . Fuel consumption is definitely better since it’s been remapped but only on a decent run, local mpg figures are still not good. I’ve now done just over 23000 miles in 6 years and logged every time I’ve filled up and the average is around 36 mpg.

View attachment 79365
That's very good, but of course will go down a bit with more shorter trips I guess. Our 2016 Ocean is doing almost 35mpg (according to the display) but we also use it as our daily driver (so mostly short trips), but this should improve with all the camping trips we've got planned this year!

Tyre pressure can play a large part in low fuel economy.
always ensure your tyre pressure is set to the correct pressure for the load in the van and tyre size (as shown on the B pillar).

All depends on many factors. Motorway/ordinary roads, what you are carrying, speed, weather, terrain driving style. I hope you can keep that up. Best we ever had was 38mpg in our 180 4Motion manual and that was coming back to Dieppe from our place in the Pyrenees when the French tanker drivers were on strike. Emptied the van of all stuff that wasn't essential, water tanks emptied and max speed of 60mph on the autoroutes. Filled up in the village before leaving and had to stop a couple of times on the way as the ammount you could have was limited. Got to Dieppe with around a gallon left. One of the most boring drives I've ever done though.

That’s v good. We used to get about 36 out of our old T6 204 DSG and we were going to be happy with anything that is 30+ from our new T6.1 204 4Motion when it arrives. Very promising !

Just hit 31.59...
Where’s the dancing emoji...:)
CB887235-C6A4-40DE-98B3-ECCDF17B4BA3.png

I've seen the 40mpg figure but when on a multi-roundabout route 33mpg is more normal.

You can’t really take any notice of the VW fuel computer reading. It’s lovely when you see readings of 42-44MPG but when you actually fill it brim to brim or shut off to shut off the readings are definitely not the same. We often get computer readings of 42 but when filled its more like 36-37 . Fuel consumption is definitely better since it’s been remapped but only on a decent run, local mpg figures are still not good. I’ve now done just over 23000 miles in 6 years and logged every time I’ve filled up and the average is around 36 mpg.
Who did your remap (and what one did you go for ie power or economy)? I quite like the idea of more economy from my 150bhp T6 as it tends towards 32mpg.

Not sure how you are getting mid-high 30s, I’m about 27-28mpg on a full tank at 10k miles on a 199 engine.

To reiterate some of what has been already said. The major influencer on what mpg one gets is the driver him or herself. Gentle acceleration and braking, not speeding, not overloading, tyre pressures, and good maintenance will all impact mpg but the driver will still have the biggest impact. Long journeys will give better mpg than short ones. Our T6 150 dsg has averaged 37.6 mpg over 23000 miles, the vast majority long trips, never been above 65mph, 0-60 is nearer 30 seconds than 10 seconds and try our best to anticipated slowing traffic to minimise braking. This braking minimising has significantly prelonged disk life, last service they were 45% worn after 23000 miles. Also extends tyre life, on track for 35,000 for a set of tyres.

Back