Best VW California Dedicated Forum by Miles :)
  1. Next Club Meets

Dorset Meet - 28th Sep - More Details Here
    Shop Open Day/Camping - 10th Nov - More Details Here
    Dismiss Notice

I feel awful... But I’m back where I started!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Deejossi, Feb 4, 2018.

1. kurienp

kurienp VIP Member

Vehicle:
    Looking to buy
    Congratulations!

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

2. Seamelody

Seamelody VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    Another Doris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I Like That! I Like That! x 1
  3. Collwing

Collwing VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    Glad you have what you want within your financial comfort zone it means you can enjoy it rather than always see an over financial commitment sitting on the drive we worked our way up to our Cali with a caravelle via a van conversion to the Cali the most important thing is to enjoy Doris as others have said the inside will clean up with elbow grease our caravelle was disgusting inside but carpet cleaner and a few goes at steam cleaning it came up a treat.

4. Smiffy4bikes

Smiffy4bikes VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    Year:
    Well done you ;)

Worrying about money (or the lack of it...) is the pits. You did the right thing, you followed your gut, you were honest about it, came clean with the dealer (who has no doubt already sold it on, plus the £1k deposit) and now you have a new van, yay!!! Business is business, that's what the point of a deposit is about. It's a deposit. You change your mind, you lose the deposit, simples.

Absolutely no point having any new vehicle, whether it cost £5k or £50k, sat on the drive, that you know deep down you cant afford, it takes all the fun of it out. Miserable.

Doris sounds fab :D And, once you’ve cleaned her all up then she will definitely be a part of the family, and you will all be so much happier.

Enjoy, and put up some before/after pics!

5. BikerGran

BikerGran Growing old disgracefully VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 174
    Year:
    I'm always amazed when my Cali looks disgusting inside - mud and grass on the carpets and the seats etc - then I vacuum it and wipe the seats with some polish wipes - and suddenly it looks wonderful again - in spite of it now being 11 years old!

6. Deejossi

Deejossi

Vehicle:
    Looking to buy
    Wow! What an amazing view you must have up there on your moral high ground.

At no point have I indicated that any of this took place without a care for the other party. Quite the opposite in fact. Things happened beyond my control which the dealer was aware of and yes, regrettably I had to pull out of the purchase.

As it turns out, there is no breach of contract on my side. I have been free this whole time to change my mind (without reason) AND ask for my deposit back if I so wished.

The dealer should have provided me with full cancellation rights under the distance selling rules and did not do this, and I have been informed that this is an offence.

I still haven’t heard from the dealer. Maybe he’s concerned I will ask for my deposit back, which I have no have no desire to do.

My sleepless nights and worry have been unnecessary this whole time and I’m relieved that armed with this knowledge, I am free to go and enjoy Doris who, for your information was £20k cheaper than the other van and therefore affordable.

I’m not sure the industry needs protecting against consumers like me. In fact over the years, the industry has done very well out of me, and on this occasion (the first!) it did not.

• I Like That! I Like That! x 7
    • I Agree I Agree x 4
  7. Deejossi

Deejossi

Vehicle:
    Looking to buy
    She’s coming up a treat BikerGran. I’m still tackling the carpets :Nailbiting

8. Lloydfred

Lloydfred 2010 2.0 140ps California SE Fresco Green VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140
    Year:
    Although I don't agree this forum is the place to have a moral argument. I can see both points, the O.P posted about running into difficulty in meeting their part of an agreement to purchase goods from another. I do think that berndros was a little over the top with the style of posting.

However several points that I feel are valid in this situation are.

1, distance selling is designed to protect the buyer, when goods arrive and are not as first thought. I presume you were well aware of what the Cali is and what was being supplied to you.

2, Distance selling is not a fall back if you change your mind and your O.P suggested that you were prepared to accept the loss of deposit, as your circumstances had changed. I now get the feeling from your last post, you have now researched your rights and will now move to recover your deposit.

If you phoned the dealer or agreed to place your order over the internet, you could argue that you agreed to purchase at distance. If you sat in their showroom and entered into a formal agreement, then for me this is not distance selling.

Berndros was right in a way, business is tough and although we are all very happy you chose the correct path, the dealer did holdup his side of the agreement. Yes there is an argument that he can sell on the product. However it's likely it will be sold at a discount as it is winter and the market is slow at this time. If it's not sold on, the van is most likely already been registered and again losing value. So the moral question stands!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  9. BikerGran

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 174
    Year:
    If you're going join others on that moral high ground it would be as well to read thoroughly before commenting

• I Agree I Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Lloydfred

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140
    Year:
    I don't say I was joining the moral high ground. I was mearly commenting on how I interpreted the following statement from the original poster.

"The dealer should have provided me with full cancellation rights under the distance selling rules and did not do this, and I have been informed that this is an offence."

I also took care to be objective whilst pointing out the possible result of this situation for the other party! So I guess you didn't read my entire post. Let's be totally Frank about it, someone's going to take a hit on it. The dealer ordered it, VW built it, the dealer took delivery and is now holding the baby.

So let's not confuse reality and an objective oppinion with attacking the O.P

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    • I Agree I Agree x 1
  11. BikerGran

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 174
    Year:
    I'm not happy about letting that go without replying but it's probably best that I do.

12. Lloydfred

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140
    Year:
    And I'll just sit in the corner and try not to have an oppinion!

:Nailbiting

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. andyinluton

andyinluton VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140
    Year:
    If you met the dealer face to face prior to placing the order distance selling regulations do not apply, so if the dealer wants to complete the contract you may need to get proper legal advice.

If anyone wants to get too nit picky DSR was replaced by CCR

You say you haven't heard from the dealer yet, it could be that he's just reading this forum waiting to see what approach you are going to take. on the other hand he might be touting "your van" around the market to see how much of a hit he's going to take before he comes after you.

Have you formally written to the dealer to confirm you are cancelling your order?

To be honest if I was the dealer I would be pretty upset, its one thing to claim change of circumstances etc which would elicit a fair amount of sympathy, but to announce to the world a day later that you've spent £30k+ on a different vehicle doesn't sound like someone who's having a hard time.

14. BikerGran

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 174
    Year:
    It's a helluva lot less than 60k!

15. WelshGas

WelshGas Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life. Top Poster VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    I think both of you need to read the OP's 1st post. It was a Conversion he was buying not a California and no price was mentioned.

• I Agree I Agree x 1
  16. BikerGran

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 174
    Year:
    :headbang

17. andyinluton

andyinluton VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140
    Year:
    On the contrary , I think you need to read all the OPs posts.

Why does it make difference if its a cali or a conversion that he's buying? & he did mention a price.

"I put a deposit down on a T6 conversion that I fell in love with at local show." = not distance selling

" I am free to go and enjoy Doris who, for your information was £20k cheaper than the other van and therefore affordable" - he's said Doris is an older second hand Cali, therefore I've made a reasonable guess at say £30k as he's said its £20k cheaper than a new T6 conversion. It may have been as little as £20k but we are not talking about changing to a £500 MOT failure transit.

What haven't I read?

18. WelshGas

WelshGas Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life. Top Poster VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    You have read it but also made suppositions without any evidence to support them.
    A California with a filthy interior would have to be very well priced in todays market.
    I find it very surprised that the "Conversion Company " has not been in contact. In fact does the vehicle exist? Plenty of stories on the T4/5 forum of converters at shows who take deposits and never deliver.
    I think there is more to this saga that we are not privy too. Just my personal view.

• I Agree I Agree x 1
  19. andyinluton

andyinluton VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140
    Year:
    "popped a deposit on a T28 SWB 150 Highline DSG conversion instead in Blackberry"

"I’ve bought it from a Cornish conversion company called MalVW. I didn’t plan on buying one until Feb next year (when I can actually afford it!) It’s currently one of their 17 plate show vans and when I found out that VW had stopped making that colour, I bit the bullet and put a deposit on it!"

I made suppositions with further information gleaned from other public sources - if you frequent two forums you get twice as many parts of the story.

Also admits when putting down the deposit that she couldn't afford it!

My sympathy for the dealer is increasing.

• I Agree I Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. kurienp

kurienp VIP Member

Vehicle:
    Looking to buy
    We should form a CIT - California Investigation Team.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk