Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I hate Caravans

Victor

Victor

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Just spent two hours in stationary traffic, once we finally started to move we find the accident was caused by a ****** caravan that has lost his wheel, the caravan looked about 20 years old and has possibly never been checked over.

I have never been a great over of caravans but now I really do hate them and everything that stand for, they cause so much chaos on the bloody roads.

Anyway, sandwiches for lunch for me and the missus as we missed our booked table at the pub for Easter lunch with friends because of this twat.

and ..... breath !

Ridiculous post and so very self centred.

Accidents can happen for so many reasons. For all you know the caravan rig driver may have been put off by one of us admiring our new Cali as we drove along.

Get the general point ?

I quite like caravans.

I would have one but for all the faffing about of hitching, unhitching, putting legs down, raising legs. worrying about it getting nicked in service stations etc.

I do have one. Its serviced annually, we love it and I'll be towing it with my Beach when it arrives. Best of both worlds!

Plenty of idiot drivers without caravans!

And Campervan's never crash or breakdown.

My childhood holidays were in a caravan. Lots of happy memories. Several of my friends have caravans too now and they love them.

One of the problems is like most things they've got bigger over time.
I live in the Dales and It is frustrating when the 'behemoths' get stuck on country lanes (happens weekly in the summer) and you can be held up for ages when you're trying to go about your daily business. Very frustrating.

It always amuses me the names they are given by the manufacturers...

Swift, Pegasus, Luna, Laser, Delta, Challenger. What irony!

Each to their own though. It's the camping that counts. And I guess I've held up plenty of people up in my T2 in the past on lanes & hills!!

I would really like one of those small pop top ones. Almost perfect for my lifestyle but not as perfect as my Cali :D

Lets great this straight before the usual bullies all descend, this was a caravan which was at least 25 years old and being towed by a Ford Granada, if this had not been on the road it would not of ruined thousands of peoples weekend.

OK I was a bit angry yesterday and apologise to caravan owners who regularly service their white box!

Anyone see Bloomers on Friday night? That did not do caravanners any favours, however they got the profile spot on:D

Lets great this straight before the usual bullies all descend, this was a caravan which was at least 25 years old and being towed by a Ford Granada, if this had not been on the road it would not of ruined thousands of peoples weekend.

OK I was a bit angry yesterday and apologise to caravan owners who regularly service their white box!

25 years old and towed by a Ford Granada..?...your point is ?

Ridiculous.

If they are legal then they have as much right to be on the road as anyone. Just as on the water a Super Yacht and a 50 year old ÂŁ1000 yacht have the same rights.

I would really like one of those small pop top ones. Almost perfect for my lifestyle but not as perfect as my Cali :D
Eriba? I like them too, but all we really need in it is a toilet :D

In general though, I'm not a fan of caravans, I don't like being stuck in one place and having to travel back to it each day. And when you go out you leave all the facilities behind and end up squashed in the car eating dried up sandwiches, or stuck in a crowded services.

Sounds like the van referred to by Victor may have been a classic outfit, old van and Granada.

Plenty of caravans on the A55 today, generally pulled by something like a big Merc 4wd and doing close on 70mph!

Horses for courses.

I like being able to just get in a car without having to pack everything away and come back to "home". Great when my lifestyle meant stopping in the same place for 3 or 4 days and working around it, such as walking the coast path.

Currently nothing beats the Cali for me, and I have a loo in mine, in fact two loo's, my trusty 335 and soon a trial "boginabag".

Two bedrooms, two Loo's, .... I will soon be paying council tax on it :shocked

Eriba? I like them too, but all we really need in it is a toilet :D

In general though, I'm not a fan of caravans, I don't like being stuck in one place and having to travel back to it each day. And when you go out you leave all the facilities behind and end up squashed in the car eating dried up sandwiches, or stuck in a crowded services.

Sounds like the van referred to by Victor may have been a classic outfit, old van and Granada.

Plenty of caravans on the A55 today, generally pulled by something like a big Merc 4wd and doing close on 70mph!
Unless you have a caravan and then you're out for the day in your new Beach. Roll on summer!

Horses for courses.

I like being able to just get in a car without having to pack everything away and come back to "home". Great when my lifestyle meant stopping in the same place for 3 or 4 days and working around it, such as walking the coast path.

Currently nothing beats the Cali for me, and I have a loo in mine, in fact two loo's, my trusty 335 and soon a trial "boginabag".

Two bedrooms, two Loo's, .... I will soon be paying council tax on it :shocked
I'm thinking bedroom tax

I have just got rid of my T@B. Caravan in yellow and silver. Fantastic little caravan. Nearly 100 people wanted to buy it. Bought it in preference to a California which then was ÂŁ38000. T@B and new VW Touran- ÂŁ24000.
Bought new California last year. Wish now I hadn't. Less space, more to insure, less fun and nothing but trouble.
Think I might get a small motor home.

How to go caravaning with style? I met this German guy two years ago in Croatia. He was on his way to Turkey.

IMG_2920_zpshvbiecvx.jpg

IMG_2923_zpssjmrefpn.jpg

IMG_2922_zpsakyfruuw.jpg

Stick with it Victor - im with you fella

I understand Victor's frustration, but a bit of mitigation.

I was one of a few that helped a caravanner out of a mess today.

Following his Sat-nav for Damage Barton CC site in Devon he did a right turn only to find himself on that horrendous single track rough old road down to Lee Valley. Not wanting to reverse back a hundred yards and reverse into the main road he carried on for a while looking in vain hope for somewhere to turn round in ... and that road only gets worse with tight bends and ever narrowing high hedges and walls.

He found himself unable to go on, or turn back. His wife was in tears, he was totally stressed out, the holiday they had been looking forward to totally screwed up. Fortunately help was on hand to half reverse and half manhandle the rig back to a large field entrance, unhitch it, swing it round and a good samaritan local farmer tow it back out with tractor.

It happens.

It happened to me when I had a caravan. It wasn't a posh caravan, we were skint, it was the only holiday we ever got and it was our pride and joy. It happened to me in Albert, a welsh coast road that wasn't and hell of all hells in France where with mirrors touching walls either side Pierre the good Samaritan helped guide me round a turn I thought I would never make.

Yes, it held me up for an hour today, but all I can think of, even now, is what an awful, terrible start to their holiday that they had been looking forward to all through winter. I can still see her face, the tears, and the poor old boy knowing he'd made a right ***!!*** of himself and worried sick over his pride and joy.

At least I was able to make them a nice cup of tea.

At least I was able to make them a nice cup of tea.

Difficult to do that in a Caravan on the road. But I do wish people would not put such faith in a SatNav. Common Sense doesn't seem to be that common nowadays and the number of people who don't know how to set up a SatNav properly is worrying.

But car, or should I say 4x4 drivers can be just as bad. Had an altercation with one yesterday in a local village where one of the main access roads has some very narrow stretches such that 2 cars cannot pass. I was on such a stretch and this 4x4 instead of waiting decided to carry on into the narrow stretch. Both stopped and he and his overweight wife/partner started waving and mouthing for me to give way by turning into a gateway and let them through. After 5 minutes I got out and pointed out the gateway was only 3m deep and I had a 1m long towbar bike carrier on the back so wouldn't have helped and besides there were 2 cars and a van behind me. Took him another 5 minutes to reverse 10 feet without hitting a wall or mounting a foot high grass verge and all the while thunderous looks from his companion.
A little common sense and he would have avoided the 10+ minutes delay in his journey. In fact maybe I shouldn't have talked to him and just made a cup of tea.:Nailbiting

Difficult to do that in a Caravan on the road. But I do wish people would not put such faith in a SatNav. Common Sense doesn't seem to be that common nowadays and the number of people who don't know how to set up a SatNav properly is worrying.

But car, or should I say 4x4 drivers can be just as bad. Had an altercation with one yesterday in a local village where one of the main access roads has some very narrow stretches such that 2 cars cannot pass. I was on such a stretch and this 4x4 instead of waiting decided to carry on into the narrow stretch. Both stopped and he and his overweight wife/partner started waving and mouthing for me to give way by turning into a gateway and let them through. After 5 minutes I got out and pointed out the gateway was only 3m deep and I had a 1m long towbar bike carrier on the back so wouldn't have helped and besides there were 2 cars and a van behind me. Took him another 5 minutes to reverse 10 feet without hitting a wall or mounting a foot high grass verge and all the while thunderous looks from his companion.
A little common sense and he would have avoided the 10+ minutes delay in his journey. In fact maybe I shouldn't have talked to him and just made a cup of tea.:Nailbiting

Yes, I agree about Sat Navs but again in mitigation, an easy mistake that in 99 percent of circumstances would be easily rectified.

I make cups of tea because I am sweet and nice. It's an image I like to cultivate. Most only see the Boudica in me :(

Back