Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Inconsiderate neigbours on a campsite

Billy

Billy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
We are currently pitched on a campsite in the New Forest, last night it was lovely and quiet whilst we sat outside with a glass of wine and cooking some burgers on the Cobb. Come 7pm two caravans arrive and pitch opposite us, each caravan had two families which were neither chavs or what we would call rough! just a normal family.

As soon as they arrived they put up five windbreaks in a big square to section themselves off from the whole campsite, then both kids go out pertol remote control cars that they were racing up and down the site until 10pm Neither family thought there was anything wrong in doing this? We went and asked the parents nicely if they could please stop, only to be called child haters and we should go to an adults only campsite.

We tried to tell warden but they were out for the night and emergency number just goes to voicemail

This is the third time in a year we have had problems like this and we have been camping for over 30 years, sadly camping is not what it used to be

Sadly you always get inconsiderate campers - luckily you had a good night last night, and there will be loads more good nights.

Go for a walk find a nice pub

or

Find a wifi network and find a site that doesn't allow caravans :)

We stayed at High Rigg farm in Dalby forest recently and the owner is very strict on the rules and it was dead quiet by 10pm - we loved it, but some people on the review sites complain about the rule enforcement. It takes all sorts!

I love it when you arrive at a campsite and it says "No Carvans Allowed"
This video makes me feel good as well

Once in France we had some young guys camping nearby playing Bongos all night!!!! Wouldn't have minded if they had rhythm but it was just random racket. Asked the to stop at around 2am but just got abuse. In the morning I was moving on early. Packed my Landrover up, had a cup of tea and quick look around to make sure I left no litter.
Started the engine, released the hand brake and started to pull away. BONGOS left outside the lads tent!
Drove right over the buggers. Brilliant!

I know..... I'll go straight to hell but it was worth it.

We once in our camping days found 1/2 a well known Dorset site was occupied by fat men dressed up as 101st US airbourne troops ( I did not think anyone of them could haven fitted out of a Dekota's door even without a parachute) the other 1/2 dressed as Nazi troops, ,they spent the evening and late into the night playing with other. (edit battling with other). About the most noisy site we had stayed on. Most Caravan club & Camping Club sites seem to enforce noise rules after a set time.
The advantage of a camper van if you have not put up an awning is you can move the van.
I do not know if we have been lucky but campsites we have use in the last 3 year of Cali ownership all neighbours and sites have been quiet.

We are currently pitched on a campsite in the New Forest, last night it was lovely and quiet whilst we sat outside with a glass of wine and cooking some burgers on the Cobb. Come 7pm two caravans arrive and pitch opposite us, each caravan had two families which were neither chavs or what we would call rough! just a normal family.

As soon as they arrived they put up five windbreaks in a big square to section themselves off from the whole campsite, then both kids go out pertol remote control cars that they were racing up and down the site until 10pm Neither family thought there was anything wrong in doing this? We went and asked the parents nicely if they could please stop, only to be called child haters and we should go to an adults only campsite.

We tried to tell warden but they were out for the night and emergency number just goes to voicemail

This is the third time in a year we have had problems like this and we have been camping for over 30 years, sadly camping is not what it used to be
I feel your pain...we've had a couple of run ins with ignorant campers before now. We had the same response when we approached them just got shouted at and told to go to sites without children.
There's no reasoning with morons like that unfortunately. You just have to try not to let it ruin your holiday

Stayed at Beach View Holiday Park in Leiston, Suffolk last night. Nice site, experienced the usual hello being ignored by both the caravan owner opposite and to the side.. ( Why do they hate Campervan owners? )

Anyway in regard to inconsiderate neighbours. We took the dog for a walk and had a drink at the pub and was away for about an hour or so from the van. When we came back I was greeted by a volley ball net set up next to our van! Literally a couple of feet away (so much for 5m minimum distance) and a football abandoned next to our van the other side. Pissed me off for a few reasons, firstly there where big signs up saying no ball games allowed on the site to which I stopped my son playing with his football respecting the rules. Secondly there was no one to be seen and I couldn't work out who put it up and basically made me anxious of the forthcoming confrontation which put me in bad mood.. and that ended up never happening as it was still there in the morning. Packed up quickly in the morning and headed for the boating lake at Thorpness. Was half expecting to woken up by a volley ball hitting the van!

I never understand why some people insist on putting their car radios on as soon as they arrive at a campsite.

We have had some nightmare neighbours over the years but it has taught me to never judge a book by it's cover. I've felt really embarrassed when groups I've expected to be awful end up being as quiet as mice.and vice versa! We had a tent camp near us recently, just a small 2 man one, 1 car and 2 adults. All was fine until they decided to pack up at 5am. Goodness knows why but it took about an hour with more than 50 slams of the car doors (I started counting!). Very strange.

If you're kept awake by people in an old style tin roof VW camper, Martin Dory (re. "One man and his camper") suggests scattering bread on the roof so that the birds make a clatter taking it at dawn.

Sounds a really daft idea - I mean when would the opportunity present itself to do it - 0300 am?

But I wonder whether it also works on caravans?

We've had a couple of recent 'noisy neighbour' incidents. The worst was at 'White Meadow Camping' in the New Forest. We were woken at 7.00am by a chorus of 'Ethan needs a poo' with which panic set in amongst his family members and their delightful friends who had turned up en-masse the night before - most of whom didn't want to get up to help poor Ethan out as they didn't get to bed until about 5.00am and so passed the buck.

After escaping the site for the day we came back from a 15 mile walk to find a brigade from the Special Brew division had blocked our view with their numerous enormous tents / outhouses / event shelters and we were introduced to the delights of Acer, Asus and Astra - usually called by their mothers in that order every 5 minutes.

If we hadn't paid an extortionate £30 a night up front we would have left.

Last edited:
If you're kept awake by people in an old style tin roof VW camper, Martin Dory (re. "One man and his camper") suggests scattering bread on the roof so that the birds make a clatter taking it at dawn.

Sounds a really daft idea - I mean when would the opportunity present itself to do it - 0300 am?

But I wonder whether it also works on caravans?

When I was very small we had a holiday at Pontins, my parents and brothers, my uncle aunt and cousins. There was an old fella who was constantly telling the kids to stop playing and to bugger off, and we were pretty well behaved children. Our laughter seemed to irritate him. My uncle being a mischievous sort kept us up late that night and got lots of old bread and cake and had us throw it on the roof.

Even we got woke up by countless seagulls making a racket and sounding like they were tap dancing on his roof at about 4am when the sun came up.

So wrong but a funny childhood memory for sure. So yes, it works ;)

I've been a tent camper, we now have a caravan and I'm going to buy a California beach soon (probably wait for the T6), which I will use to tow my aforementioned caravan. I've never heard or seen any kind of resentment or unpleasantness between caravans and camper vans. Sadly, I have seen inconsiderate buggers in all tents, caravans and campers. Admittedly, we generally only use camping and caravanning club sites, which are sticklers for rules and nice spots, so we don't see it often but, as mentioned above, it is an expensive night!
When we do venture to other sites, there's no better indication of an imminent sleepless night than 3 or more cars turning up and the first thing they erect is a gazebo of some sort!

I've been a tent camper, we now have a caravan and I'm going to buy a California beach soon (probably wait for the T6), which I will use to tow my aforementioned caravan. I've never heard of, seen or been aware of any kind of resentment or unpleasantness between caravans and camper vans. Sadly, I have seen inconsiderate buggers in tents, caravans and campers!
Admittedly, we generally only use camping and caravanning club sites, which are sticklers for rules and usually in nice spots, so we don't see it often, thankfully, but, as mentioned above, it is an expensive night!
When we do venture to other sites, there's no better indication of an imminent sleepless night than 3 or more cars turning up and the first thing they erect is a gazebo of some sort!

Remember a campsite is just a housing estate in a field, we have inconsiderate selfish neighbours at home and expect nothing better on a campsite, we were rarely disappointed, ... which is why we 'wild camp', reafirmed that the world is a beautiful place, its just us humans that can spoil it

I love it when you arrive at a campsite and it says "No Carvans Allowed"
This video makes me feel good as well

This video made me feel good too!

I believe if you are asked to please keep the noise down, then even if you were to think whether it's right or wrong, out of courtesy to others you should keep the noise down.
Quite frankly the parents should have know better to allow the noise in the first place.
I agree with previous comments, leave and find a site that with no caravans...

Once in France we had some young guys camping nearby playing Bongos all night!!!! Wouldn't have minded if they had rhythm but it was just random racket. Asked the to stop at around 2am but just got abuse. In the morning I was moving on early. Packed my Landrover up, had a cup of tea and quick look around to make sure I left no litter.
Started the engine, released the hand brake and started to pull away. BONGOS left outside the lads tent!
Drove right over the buggers. Brilliant!

I know..... I'll go straight to hell but it was worth it.
MORE THA BRILLIANT!!! Reminds me of the movie "Smokey and the Bandit" where Jerry Reed is beaten up by bikers and he runs his 18 wheeler over them. I can't stop grinning because I would have done the same thing.

It's actually quite disappointing that there are so many anti-caravan comments coming through. Sounds like the unpleasantness between caravanners and camper van owners, mentioned earlier in the thread, is actually instigated by the camper vans, as I've never heard of this attitude from the other side.

I am sorry but from my pwn experience 90% of caravanners are a totally different breed to campervan owners, many a time I will say hello to a caravanner and I am lucky to get a grunt in return!

If i had a Cali or any other campervan pitch next to me, we normally end up chatting and sharing a few beers together!

Just my own personal experience

The first sign of trouble is when they turn up in convoy looking for co-located pitches.

I would be happy to camp at sites where they ban parties travelling together.

Signed Mr Mean from Bakewell!!

It's actually quite disappointing that there are so many anti-caravan comments coming through. Sounds like the unpleasantness between caravanners and camper van owners, mentioned earlier in the thread, is actually instigated by the camper vans, as I've never heard of this attitude from the other side.

I'm afraid I have to agree, Rhyddin, and I don't think it's in the spirit of the forum which is usually much more accepting and friendly. The original post was about inconsiderate people on campsites, not people in caravans are all inconsiderate. Those who camp in tents, trailer tents and campervans are just as likely to be noisy or a nuisance to others, after all we are all the same species and each of us is different :bananadance
Of course there's nothing wrong with this thread, or having a good moan per se, but perhaps we could try to avoid the needless stereotyping :thumb

I am sorry but from my pwn experience 90% of caravanners are a totally different breed to campervan owners, many a time I will say hello to a caravanner and I am lucky to get a grunt in return!

If i had a Cali or any other campervan pitch next to me, we normally end up chatting and sharing a few beers together!

Just my own personal experience

Sorry to hear that but I think the campsite choices might be the key. As I said earlier, we tend to use club sites and people are friendlier. I guess, and it sounds very snobby, the price filters out some of the people who you may well have met.

Unfortunately, as camper vans are more independent, and you maybe tend to use sites for shorter periods because you're travelling around on an adventure, you need less from a site. Therefore, I suspect that you will choose sites that have fewer facilities and, as a result, charge less because it is simply what you need. However, these sites likely attract those people who don't want to pay £30-40 a night at a club site. Just a theory, of course!

Whenever we've been parked next to a camper van on a site, I've always made a point of going over and having a chat while admiring their van. I'm looking forward to having a foot in both camps!

Get a Radio Jammer. That will send ALL radio controlled " whatever " into a tizzy :thumb