Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Why do I want a topper?

My wife and I have just returned from a mini European tour over the course of about 9 weeks, in our relatively recently acquired Cali (new in March this year), getting as far as Slovenia and Croatia where it was really hot and coming back via northern Italy and up through France where the last couple of weeks were pretty cold and wet as Autumn well and truly descended upon us.

Overall, we were delighted with the vehicle regarding functionality and mileage, always sleeping comfortably upstairs but noticed that with the continuously wet weather we encountered latterly, there was an increasingly slight feeling of dampness at the edges of our bedding, presumably from the capillary action of the fabric with moisture wicking through. Our duvet was never wet but just not 100% dry, plus of course we had to use the heater a few times as temperatures dropped (2 degrees overnight in Provence at one point) and heat disappeared through the raised roof.

We didn't encounter driving rain, the worst situation was actually just outside Dunkirk where on our last night before crossing the Channel there was a heavy sea mist which really saturated the fabric externally, although it was only nominally damp inside. Living in Scotland and intending to spend time in all weathers in the Highlands, we came to the conclusion that a topper would be a 'no-brainer' in terms of addressing both the moisture and heat loss problems.

En route home, we dropped in on Nick at Comfortz who demonstrated the topper on our vehicle and we had no hesitation in buying one there and then. We chose the lighter weight version and with no windows, which we thought would be easier to fold up if really cold or frosty. It is easy to put on and take off and stores conveniently within the tailgate within one of the chairs. That night it was christened in Yorkshire with constant rain which it repelled perfectly and we felt totally dry and warmer than we had been for the previous couple of weeks.

So, no hesitation in recommending this and thanks to Nick and his Dad at Comfortz Leisure for their help.

DSCN3384.JPG

That looks a great fit better than mine :headbang do you think nick would be able to make my
Kyham one fit better or should I just get a Cali topper :?: to be honest I am fed up with buying things twice

It does fit really well and because of the elasticated chords and sliding pegs in the gutter rail, you can adjust quite easily. I actually reckon I could have tightened it slightly more than I did as it was put on in the dark.

I don't know the Khyam topper and how it fits, we have a Khyam drive-away awning which is great. Give Nick a call/mail and ask, he's really helpful. Appreciate it's a pain buying the same thing 'twice'.

Kirk said:
That looks a great fit better than mine :headbang do you think nick would be able to make my
Kyham one fit better or should I just get a Cali topper :?: to be honest I am fed up with buying things twice

Happy to have a look for you Kirk :thumb

Nothing like being the wrong way round :? :D

I have my comfortz topper, delivered 4 weeks ago.

All I need now is a van to put it on :?

Just to say I spoke to nick at comfortz and decided it wasn't worth altering my kamper cosi
So I ordered a calitopper the lightweight one it arrived today.well what can I say it's about a third of the size and looks so much better made than the cosi. I wish I had of known before I bought the cosi. More clutter for the garage. Thanks for your great customer service nick :thumb

Hello everyone,

Took delivery of our Cali(Olive) the first week of September, having changed from a car & caravan outfit.
Used it a couple of times and it was fine without a topper. Then with a trip to the Highlands of Scotland Planned for 1/2 term we bought a Cali Topper from Comfortz. What can I say, Nick was very helpful and the topper is fantastic. Easy to put on and during our week away it kept high winds & driving rain out of Olive. We put it away wet and put it back on at our next stop with no worries or issues. Wouldn't be without it.

Fishy

Hi all,

Recent California owner here!

We are looking for something to keep the van a bit more cosy and dry. The pucer screen or comfortz topper both seem to be good options. Has anyone tried both? From what I can see the pucer might be warmer, but the topper more waterproof. Is that right, or is there another that does both things better?

I don't want to end up buying the wrong one!

Any advise or experience appreciated.

Cheers,

Rico

Hi Rico, if you're concerned about the warmth issue I've had reports back on the Standard Cali-topper in temperatures of -15 in Norway and the Compact version of -5 in Scotland.

Of course if you're not happy with the Cali-Topper you can send it us back and we'll offer a full refund (minus postage charges) :thumb

:thanks

Nick

comfortz said:
Hi Rico, if you're concerned about the warmth issue I've had reports back on the Standard Cali-topper in temperatures of -15 in Norway and the Compact version of -5 in Scotland.

Of course if you're not happy with the Cali-Topper you can send it us back and we'll offer a full refund (minus postage charges) :thumb

:thanks

Nick

Thanks Nick, sounds good! I've just sent you an order :)

Back