Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Owner to be ( fingers crossed )

SteveW

SteveW

VIP Member
Hi All

Im sure there arent many questions i can ask that havent been asked before. I'm looking to buy a Cali as soon a possible, I'm currently chating with a VW dealer who is due to have a 10 plate( 130 bhp) with around 15K on the clock in in part exchange for a new Cali. Is there any mayor differences between the 10 plate model to newer versions ? Just woundering as to while the trade in on a new model.

Im looking at using my Cali as my every day car ( not work as i have a van for that ) but for all other use and really looking forward to all thoughs weekends away at the beach kite boarding while the Mrs sits in the warmth of the Cali having a cuppa.

I had one old campervan before ( Bedford cf Auto sleeper) but really need something that is reliable and holds its value so have been drawn to the VW Cali ( looks great too :thumb ).

I will be looking to spend between 30-35K,I would appriciate any advice and points in the right direction that you guys can give.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve and welcome
In answer to your question in 2010 vw brought out the new model with a either a 2lt 140 turbo
Or a180 twin turbo engine the main change is the front end if you look in the gallery you will see the difference in the headlights. Apart from that they are pretty much the same.
The Cali makes a great everyday vehicle the Cali you mention sounds like a low mileage example
And should preform well
Good luck :thumb

I would have thought for your budget you could have got a facelift - what do others think?

I've driven prefacelift and facelift models, personally I think the facelift drove much nicer

James

My thoughts are you may just about get a facelift for your budget but I would have thought it would be much higher mileage. Can't say I have seen any facelift cali's for £35k
Good luck in your search :thumb

Calikev said:
My thoughts are you may just about get a facelift for your budget but I would have thought it would be much higher mileage. Can't say I have seen any facelift cali's for £35k
Good luck in your search :thumb

and I should have added - not such a great spec

James

If you spend wisely you are probably just about in 2010 > facelift models with a 140 engine.

That would also bring the remainder of the VW warranty and Breakdown cover etc.

I'd be tempted to have a look at this one if I were you -

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1824

The seller has indicated he's open to sensible offers and it's pretty well loaded with some desirable options and will retain good value I think.

Hi James, Kevin and Stu

Thanks all for the info so far, there does seem to be a limited amount of Cali's up for sale at the moment but I'm hopeful of getting one roughly in my budget ( not always how it turns out though). Can you tell me if the stereo units have and aux in port for iPod etc connections as standard as it been a few years now since I've brought a cd !?!

I have to say I'm looking forward to becoming a Cali owner as there seems to be good bunch of folks on here that are helpful and really injoy the hole Cali lifestyle.

Cheers
Steve

Steve,

I may be wrong but I think Aux In would have come along with 2010 > Facelift.

Also don't confuse Aux In with MDI (Media Interface) also found on the Facelift.

Aux In is a simple 3.5mm jack connection.
MDI is an iPod/USB type connector with full control from the head unit.

Stu,

Thx for that, yeah Im not to concerned with the MDI conection just a 3.5mm aux in or the facility to run one to the back of the head unit. That's what ive done im my last few cars and run the music etc striaght from my iphone or ipod.

Would be interested if any one has done it this way ?

Cheers

Steve

If you end up with a Facelift and want MDI it can be retrofitted quite easily for around £100.

I believe that the aux in in the glove box only came on the facelift T5. The pre-facelift T5 is a lovely vehicle to drive, but the facelift has been tweaked enough to make a discernible difference.

I wouldn't say no to either to be honest.

cheers

Evening all I hope you've all finished your Saturday night treats, fish n chip, Chinese, glass of red etc

My other half and I have been to Lister VW in Worcester today and had a good look over and test drive of a 57K Cali !!! Ooouch :shocked Little over our budget but gave us great look at the Cali.

Long story short, we're sold, after looking at the 2nd hand prices ( eg around 38 - 43k for a 12-18 month on Cali ) and availability of them we think ( 99.9% sure) we will be calling in next week to place an order for a new one with the help of a little finance.

Thinking of going for a 140 bhp manual with cruise control, parking censors, awning, metallic paint ( colour unknown yet ) privacy glass and alloys :barmy And the price was 44k give or take a few pence.

Any thoughts ? Suggestions on extra I would regret not having, colour ???

Ps any donation would be greatly snapped up ;)

Steve ( very excited ).

Hi Steve, ouch yes - but we went through the same process and ended up getting a new Cali in March - 9000 miles and many smiles later and absolutely no regrets at all - good luck with your ordering

Hi Linda

Thank you for your positive feed back, it's very nervracking thinking of spending our life savings, and more on van with a sink :shocked but seeing such a large number of posts on here from people who have done the same thing and have no regrets is very calming.

Keep having the step back and take a deep breath moments but the more we think about it the keener we become. Especially as its a lifestyle we're buying into for hopefully many happy years to come. :thumb :clap :barmy

Usual car buying rules apply Steve, shop around and pitch several dealers against each other. Be prepared to travel or some dealers offer delivery.

If you can find the extra £300 add the 5th seat.

Solutions (lease purchase) was offering 3 years inclusive service plan.

Cheers Stu, I've seen on a few posts recommending the 5th seat. Don't think there is any real use in us having one as just the two of us most the time. Is it a good sale point if and when I look to selling on ?

Just working out extras at the mo ready to mail a few dealers, we are at:

140 manual
Cruise control
F and r parking censors
Privacy glass
Awning
Roof rack
Front spoiler
17 inc alloys
Matlic paint. Thinking natural grey ( black looks mean as hell but would show every mark )
Boot protector
Tow bar ??
Probably get the bike rack later on.

Cheers

Steve

The thing with the 5th seat is it gives you an extra rail in the floor which is going to be quite prohibitive to retrofit.

The Bike Rack is an accessory so can be added at any time, SMG will give you a good price on that.

If you think you'll ever need a towbar then add it, labour charges make it an expensive retrofit.

Other than that it seems like you've got all the usual bits covered.

I've got a fully loaded 140 SE coming off fleeting the next couple of weeks, if you are interested? It's a July 2011, with approx 13,000 miles.